What's new

How is your local antique circuit?

Ive only been to one antique shop for shaving stuff. Their razors were the typical vintage, poor condition, but priced too high IMO. But i did score a rubberset 400 for what i am now realizing is a steal.

Although they did have a nice filarmonica with some fancy scales, but it was way out of my price range at over $100

Brooklyn is loaded with flea markets and antique stores. I usually do much better on shaving items at flea markets. Antique stores usually ask top dollar while some flea market dealers either don't know market price on shaving items or would rather do volume at a lower price.Heading to The Brooklyn Flea ,a large indoor market ,this afternoon to try my luck.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I visited an antique store today. Last time I was there was Summer of 2012. They had the same razors today as they did then.
A GEM SE for $25. Another razor I didn't recognize for around $20
and a gold Toggle for $275 - not even with the original case, in fact no case.

Probably explains why they haven't sold in 2 years since I've been there. A little pricey

Kilroy6644

Smoking a corn dog in aviators and a top hat
Around here, nonexistant. There's no such thing as an antique shop on the island. There are lots of old people, so I have to wait for garage sales (all a bust so far) or estate sales (one netted me an old "shaving kit" which included an '85 Atra). Outside of De Tour is a shop, but I've never been there, and it looks like it's closed for the winter. I found one shop in Sault Ste. Marie (an hour away) and that was a bust.

When I lived in Saginaw, I would check out the shops around town, and I'd occasionally find something, although quite often it wasn't anything I wanted. Straights were fairly common, DEs and SEs less so. There was one shop that had a cigar box full of razors, $4.50 each, but I cleaned her out. That was pretty much it.

I visited an antique store today. Last time I was there was Summer of 2012. They had the same razors today as they did then.
A GEM SE for $25. Another razor I didn't recognize for around $20
and a gold Toggle for $275 - not even with the original case, in fact no case.

Probably explains why they haven't sold in 2 years since I've been there. A little pricey

I agree. I'm stumped as to why they keep those prices so high? I've seen the same razors at the same vendors for years. An ss for $60, black handled as for $50 etc. In the same display case for the couple years. To each their own.

I am in MA and there is no shortage of antique shops. My travels take me all over the state and I have good success with razors. What works for me is repetition. Most shops have a high turnover of sellers and items. New stuff comes in every week. One shop may not have anything week after week and then, BOOM! A new seller has 3-10 razors strewn about their booth. You just have to keep checking. Another shop actually puts razors aside for me when they come in. I pretty much just pay whatever they ask on them. They know they can get more for some on ebay but also would rather have a regular customer. But, there is another shop with dusty cases and several corroded, soap scummy razors in it at laughable prices. They will have those until they go out of business, they will not budge on price. Finally, there is a weekly indoor flea market that I go to when I can. I had good luck there too until the last ~3-4 months. Last weekend, each seller I asked about razors gave pretty much the same reply: "No, everybody is looking for safety razors!". Hmmmmm......

The closest store is an antique mall, where they have locked display cases for many different dealers. Only a small handful have any razors at all, and the ones that they do have tend to sit for a long time before anyone buys. One case has a bunch of straight razors, another features cased Gillettes, another has a jumble of everything, and another has oddball stuff like a lady's Curvette razor for armpit shaving.

The same store has another outlet about 30 miles away. When I've been in there, there is one display with rotating trays on a conveyor belt that carry nothing but razors, probably 200 in this one case alone. About a third of them seem to be Segals, and the rest are assorted brands of SE, nothing spectacular.

The prices are fair. Not outrageous, not cheap. Most of the razors appear to have had at least a basic cleaning. Sometimes I find a razor with a disposable blade still in it, and that always pisses me off.

I've never seen any scuttles and very few brushes. Sometimes, when I inquire about shaving gear, the proprietor will try and pawn off a moustache-cup as a shaving mug, but no, its not the same thing.

Non-existent here in Hawaii. In fact, I've been unable to find any wet shaving supplies at a brick & mortar other than VDH soap at Walmart (no brushes, or even blades).
If there's anyone else in Hawaii that knows differently, feel free to enlighten me.

Here in mexico there is no finding old OR new stuff except for disposables. Even the walmart's here do not sell anything like de blades, soap, brushes, etc. Nothing except disposables. You CAN find de blades if you look hard enough, but very few places.

The on in my area has shaving stuff occasionally. Some of their prices are a little high, but most are reasonable. I did score a almost mint gillette new with a perfect case and some blue blades as well as a strop in excellent condition. It hasn't had much lately.

It's not bad, I've found 12 razors in between the 3 or 4 Antique shops i frequent. I also found 3 vintage shaving mugs (including a nice Old Spice one) The only razor i bought online was the 34C, as my first razor.

Top Bottom