What's new

How I Keep My Blades Sharper Longer

I always dip my razor into a jar of alcohol after my shave. That displaces any water and prevents rust. The funny thing is that your blades dont actually get dull from cutting hair so much as they get dull from microscopic rust particles that form and degrade the edge. By displacing the moisture, you can get more mileage out of your blades.

I always dip my razor into a jar of alcohol after my shave. That displaces any water and prevents rust. The funny thing is that your blades dont actually get dull from cutting hair so much as they get dull from microscopic rust particles that form and degrade the edge. By displacing the moisture, you can get more mileage out of your blades.
I can believe that too even hardwater degrades things.

Daily shaving I have found to be unnecessary and is no less work shaving day old or 2-5 day old stubble... I must be the oddball because I find that I get better / closer shaves on multiple days and is why I only shave every other day. On occasion I might miss a day and shave at 3-4 days and have found those were some of my best shaves ever. In shaving, as with just about everything in life, YMMV exists and in some cases more evident than others!!
Same thing for me!

Blades are extremely inexpensive. I'd be happy to get 3 excellent shaves then move on. If seeing how many shaves you can get out of a 15 cent blade is your thing then do it. Whether it's quantity or quality as long as you're happy then enjoy.

Of course it's possible to sharpen a blade. Every edge is possible to sharpen, just need the right tools and technique.
But since they cost like a penny, the only reason I find to do it, is in a TEOTWAWKI situation. If that happens, I'd rather do single passes every other day, and I'd have blades that would last two lifetimes :)

Of course it's possible to sharpen a blade. Every edge is possible to sharpen, just need the right tools and technique.
But since they cost like a penny, the only reason I find to do it, is in a TEOTWAWKI situation. If that happens, I'd rather do single passes every other day, and I'd have blades that would last two lifetimes :)
good thinking!

...The funny thing is that your blades dont actually get dull from cutting hair so much as they get dull from microscopic rust particles that form and degrade the edge. By displacing the moisture, you can get more mileage out of your blades.

Actually, blades wear out by the erosion of the blade coating(s) thereby exposing the fragile edge. Try a bare non-coated carbon blade to know what "dull" is.

Top Bottom