What's new

How Does One Knew If He's Ready For a Straight?

Since taking up DE shaving, I've been discovering ever more aggressive razors. Of late, my Futur has been the go-to razor. This morning, for the first time, I set it to six for the entire shave (not just touch ups) and got my best shave yet -- very close with no razor burn. My technique is now at a point where there's no pressure and the angle is consistently good. My lathers are still improving but definitely serviceable.

I've been recently feeling the call of the straight. Given that I'm doing so well with the Futur at its maximum setting, is that an indication that I'm ready?

The straight razor calls you ............from o'er the hills and valleys below ...across the river hear and heed thy call ....sort of ! ha ha

Scott

Seriously though mate , go with Larry at Whippedog.com - sight unseen deal ! Best way to "dive" in and see if it is for you , without going bankrupt .

Scott

It is hard to say the DE is a gateway to the straight in a direct sense. I went from a Futur on mid settings to a straight and caught on very quickly. I will say that, going back to DE, I'm much better with them than when I was taking them for granted. I'm much more critical of them, too. However, I still use a DE for touch up or, occasionally, to shave my head.

Your sense of feel with the Futur will probably benefit you with the straight.

In any case, the time to get into straights was when you first thought about it. Paving the way by becoming a sensei with a DE isn't necessary. But you probably still had fun doing it - which is what its all about.

That fact that you are curious is an indication that you're ready. Take the dive.

This.

Other symptoms might include...

When you are changing blades in your DE, do you occasionally look at the blade and say to yourself "This handle is way more complex than it needs to be"

I started wet shaving with a straight and then shortly after stumbled upon DE razors by chance. With the straight, I just took my time, was very aware of my blade angle, pressure and where the point of my blade was. I had ok, SAFE, shaves with only minor nicks. But the quality of my shave wasn't as I hoped. What I've found by switching to DE for awhile is that now I understand how my beard grows and how best to shave the different parts of it. I've learned what angles I need to attack from, where I may need to take an extra pass and what angle of pass works best for me (for example; when going ATG, 6-12 results in me getting wicked razor burn. Rather 5-11 or 7-1 results in smooth, close shaves with no irritation.) Now when I use my straight, I better understand all these different things and my shaves are much, much, better.

From my, very limited, point of view, I think you'll do just fine with a straight if you're doing so well with your DE. For me, it's definitely worth it. Good luck if you decide to try it out!

Just give it a go. Get a whippeddog sight unseen deal. Easy way to find out if you like it, but be warned....you will like it!

You're ready whenever you decide your willing to put in the effort. If you are then it's time to do it; if not wait and reassess. It isn't a mystical art, read lots here, be respectful of the blade and you'll be fine. It'll just take practice to take if from needing a touch up to go in public to a shave you're happy to show off.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
If a DE shave is boring and uneventful, the straight will inject some spice into your daily shave.

That fact that you are curious is an indication that you're ready. Take the dive.

+1. That's all it takes.

You may find, like I did, that I ventured into straights pretty early and now I've gone backwards and am on a safety razor kick (namely SE's). Although fate may have different plans because I just acquired a few straight razors to work on and hone up.

No way to know until you try it. Just heed the call, I did and have not picked up a DE since. In honesty I had more trouble with irritation usin a DE than I ever did with the straight.

Jon

+1

I felt the call just as you are... I started before I was even great with a DE. Learned a lot more with a straight than I ever did with a DE because when you first start you need to focus so much more to keep your ears and nose. I was all but ready to just sell off my DE's but had to travel so decided to take my DE with me, so that my only straight would not get damaged. My first shave back with a DE was the greatest shave I've ever had at that point. It was one of those "moments"

Here is the way I see it, if you are breathing and alive after trying a straight, you are ready.
If not, then you were not ready, but at that point it won't matter anymore.
If you are curious enough to ask,then you are ready. Simple enough.

Top Bottom