What's new

How do *you* use Alum?

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
I tiled my bathroom floor with slabs of bloc osma. This way, should I pass out from loss of blood, the floor itself will stem any further bleeding.

Warm water rinse at end of shave, cold water rinse, rub alum block around shaved areasfollowed immediately by second cold water rinse - necessary or else I get red blotches.
Balm to finish

I no longer use anything like this. All I use post shave is Olay Complete which is unscented and has a bonus of being 15 SPF.

When I've finished shaving, I use a cold, wet facecloth on my face, dip the "top" of my Osma alum block in cold water and rub the alum all over the shaved areas of my face and neck.
After cleaning and putting away my gear - usually 5 to 10 minutes later, I use the cold, wet facecloth again, then splash on some alcohol based aftershave

I do a cold water rinse after the final pass, leave my face wet, rub alum liberally all over my face, clean up my razor, brush, lather bowl and sink, rinse off the alum with cold water, dry my face, apply witch hazel, air dry, apply aftershave balm (in winter only), air dry, apply aftershave splash.

Unless I draw blood (rarely these days), I just use mine as a deodorant. It keeps me very dry and I put my leftover aftershave under my armpits so theres a little fragrance.

Rub it through my wet hair for a nice style occasionally for a lighter hair dressing.
Post shave, I give my face a quick once over with a wet alum block then rinse off with cold water after applying my deodorant.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
I seldom use it on my face anymore. For a nick I will use styptic. I do use alum as deoderant though. NOTHING works as well or for as long. Dirt cheap, too, even if you get the $5.99 stick of Thai Crystal from Whole Foods, because it will last a couple of years. The 50 cent blocks from India are uber cheap.

If/when I use alum I rub it on after rinsing. I typically follow the alum with a splash of my witch hazel concoction, I would say within 30 seconds. I don't rinse or pat off the alum but I suppose it does get dispersed a bit with the splash. If I don't follow with the splash it ends up making my face itch.

I've also used it as a deodorant and to help keep a firm grip.

My use is like many of those who answered above. Alum on the fingers is really helpful in stretching the skin for a shavette shave. If I get a bit of irritation, like after the previously mentioned shavette shave I wet the bloc with my fingers, if it isn't wet already, and rub on the face. Stops those pesky weepers.

I dunno. Never used it. Isn't alum what's in those sceptic sticks that stop bleeding? I've aways found it was easier just not to cut myself. Make sure your blade is sharp, and use good technique. I am not saying I have never been nicked, but it is definitely a rare occurance, and usually a bad omen, for me, anyway. Last time it happened, my stepson wrecked our van...

I posted earlier in the thread that I don't use it anymore but that's not quite accurate. I keep my cube for the occasional weeper. Doesn't work as well as a dedicated styptic pencil but I don't have one of those on hand these days.

I slide my alum block over my face and in my armpits. I rinse my face in cool water after cleaning up the tools and sink. The astringent qualities in alum mean I can skip splashing on aftershave, especially if I've lathered up a nicely scented soap or cream, like Proraso Red, which has been the daily driver over the past week.
I've recently stopped applying "regular" deodorant/antiperspirant over the alum on my pits and haven't noticed any adverse reaction or, more importantly, had any complaints from my wife.

I have a block of it that I bought 15 years ago and i still have it!! Its not all gone and probably has years left in it.

I used to need it alot when I first got into DE shaving. But nowadays I RARELY see even a trace of blood. But if needed, the alum is there is very effective

Top Bottom