What's new

How do *you* use Alum?

It has several different uses (little hint, Google 'How to use Alum', eye opener!) but I suspect most of us use it as an astringent post-shave.

While on a holiday at sea I noticed that the general condition of my skin improved and suspected the sea air and fairly constant sea spray leaving a salt residue. When I got home I wondered if Alum can have the same effect if left on the skin, rather than being rinsed off.

For the last week I've left it on my face rather than rinse and still apply moisturiser over that. So far there have been no negative effects and I think the healing after some shave irritation is faster? Could be purely subjective.

How do you use Alum?

When I use it I rinse my face with cool water, dip the alum in cool water, rub it around my face and neck, and then after about 30 seconds wipe it off with a washcloth.

I use the alum after I rinse my face and it's still wet. I don't rinse again after the alum, I just dry my face (often by air--occasionally with a towel) and apply AS.

I eat it.....

On a serious note I apply after a wash, then wash it off after 30 seconds to a minute. I leave it on while o clean my brush bowl and razor

I leave the alum on my face and just apply Witch Hazel over it. I have had no problems after years of doing it this way.

Interesting. I would apply after washing off the shave soap, rinse the gear and that's when I'd wash again. Now I use a wet cloth only, then apply and air dry. AS balm or moisturiser is the last step now after everything is packed away.

There seems to be a bit of a split here.

While I have used alum powder on cuts for many years, I don't like the feel of rubbing an alum bar on my face after shaving. After reading a few posts in the skin, body and hair care section this month I began using my alum bar as deodorant and it works quite well for that purpose.

I use a block of it after shaving. Then a splash and rub of witch hazel.

Ever so often I'll use it to as a deodorant after a shower on clean skin. Alum actually makes stick deodorant and antiperspirants work better. At least for me.

Alum also keeps my face less oily for a few hours. Huge plus for me.

I warm water rinse the soap off, then use cold water, then wet the alum block and apply. I then use cold water again, pat my face dry and apply WH, then AS lotion, then AS or cologne.

I have had really good results with reduced irritation and better skin using alum regularly.

Top Bottom