What's new

How do YOU tell when it’s time for a new blade?

I rotate razors and blade types (DE, Gem, injector) constantly. And I maintain varying amounts of facial hair. On top of that, most days I do at least the first pass with an SR. A blade is done, for me, when it takes to much effort to get my trouble spots to DFS.

I expect to get double digit shaves from a Gem and mid to high single digits from most DE (not Feathers). But I no longer count blade uses as religiously as a few years back.

The consequence of all this rotation messing around and inattention is that most of my DE and Gem blades get replaced when I've lost track of the shave number or find a razor already loaded that I thought was empty. Not much of a system. Once in a while a blade definitely must go, but I give my many and varying lathers plenty of time to hydrate my whiskers, so my shaves are comfortable and rarely tug.

Because injector blade changes are slower, and I use injectors less often (but usually have several in the mix), I change injector blades toss an injector into the blade change queue after I have rejected that particular razor mid-shave and grabbed an alternate (or two).

So I find myself changing blades in 3 or 4 injectors at the same time. Or sweeping through the DE razor drawers ruthlessly binning blades of unknown vintage. Gem blades are rugged heavyweights and simple to move between razors, so I usually have a good use count. I often retire the current Gem when I want to use it for some paint scraping or other utility cutting task.

"Works" for me. Blades are not expensive, but I briefly regret tossing each one that might still have had a shave left in it.

it depends: for me if a blade feels rough or jumps/skips, I will toss it right away (irrespective of uses).
If a blade gives me weepers, I toss it
Good blades will usually be used +-3 times (mind I will usually shave head and face).
And I will push a blade only if I am participating in a blade review and that has surprised me with some.....to the max of 14 shaves (I think).

My first passes aren’t overly efficient or close, so I rely on the second pass. If it’s a bit tuggy and causes irritation, the blade needs to go.

The longevity of a blade depends upon the quality of the blade, the coarseness/toughness of your beard, and the sensitivity of your skin. I have a tough beard and highly sensitive skin. I want my blades to be super sharp, and super smooth. I have tried some blades that simply were not sharp enough. They did not survive the 1st pass, much less the 1st shave.

With Feather blades, they are super sharp, but the edge is rather brittle and deteriorates rapidly. I only get two good shaves from the blade. Early in the 3rd shave, the edge starts to feel harsh/rough on my skin, so I stop using it.

With most blades, I can get four shaves. However, I often use four different razors equipped with different blades for my shave. The first pass WTG has to deal with multiple days of growth, so it might survive 6 WTG passes. By the time I get to my 4th pass (clean-up), nearly all of the stubble has been removed by previous passes. Thus, I might get 20 clean-up passes from a single blade.

Use a blade until the quality of the shave does not meet your expectations. When you get to that point, change the blade whether it is the 1st shave or the 100th.

I average number of good shaves I can get from a blade and then change at the point when I get a great shave but the next one should deteriorate. I tried to cheat and add another shave after that but regretted it every time. Blades doesn’t cost much and there is no sense in it.

I can usually get:
1. 4 good 2xpasses shaves shaving every second day.
2. 5 good 2xpasses shaves shaving everyday
3. 3 good 3xpasses shaves shaving everyday

Btw, as I use adjustable Progress I have a quite effective system of keeping track of number of shaves with a blade - I just leave my razor on the setting that match number of shaves: 1 - it’s a new blade and it’s gonna be the first shave; 2 - it’s gonna be the second shave, etc

I change blades when they become dull, usually evidenced by a rougher shave, extra required touch up passes or the need for more pressure to effectively cut wiskers. Blade longevity varies by brand ranging from 3-6 shaves from Derby Extras to typically 10-12 shaves from my Dorco blades. Have an occasional bad blade that gets tossed after the first shave and periodically some outliers like the Dorco ST301 Stainless that went for 21 shaves until I binned it after yesterdays shave. Surprisingly my record was around 23/24 shaves from a Derby Extra, it just smoothed out and kept going.

Like many others who have commented I simply throw blades away when they don't feel sharp any more. The usual signs are not cutting as close as they should and tugging. This normally happens after the equivalent of about 3 full shaves with a good DE blade and about 10 with an AC blade. Derby, Dorco, and certain other blades start off dull, imho, which might be why people don't notice them degrading so quickly 😂. I tend to use two razors per shave so I take that into account in my estimates. My motto is use inexpensive blades but change them often. My usual DE blades are Astra SP, Gillette Yellow, or BIC Chrome, depending on the razor.

My first passes aren’t overly efficient or close, so I rely on the second pass. If it’s a bit tuggy and causes irritation, the blade needs to go.
As I'm growing into my technique, I learned a few new things that make me want to edit my previous post. While tugginess is still a major indicator, previous shaves with my unskilled technique would always give me sting from the after shave. Now, when my shaves go as planned, I don't have any sting. When the blade coatings wear off and the blades become rougher, they can now produce that sting even if the blade is still sharp enough for shaving. I'm more interested in not having any sting than I am at squeezing a few more shaves out of a blade. So, if my shave gives me any sting now, the blade needs to go.

When I started DE shaving, I bought a sample pack of blades and kept notes. I used them until they got too tuggy or I got cuts. Average for me (3 pass shave sessions) was 3-6 days use of blades, most in the 3-4 range. My rule after that was three and done.

First tug and its out of my razor. 4 shaves max on any quality blade since I'm not in any type of competition. 2 shaves Max on lower priced blades like shark, Lord, Astra plats, and anything that is made in Korea, India, or China. 3 shaves max on anything that is made in Israel or Europe.

I've kept notes on my wet shaves and, for the most part, I'm a "Three And Out" guy. Yes, some blades can last longer than 3 uses, but on the whole I've discovered three is enough for me. I'm not exactly wealthy but, yeah, I can afford to change blades that often. I'm too "seasoned" to spend my time wrestling with dull blades. I put up with that nonsense when I was trying to milk another shave out of my cartridge razors. One of the reasons I left that scene was to have sharp blades. And I've got 'em now. 🙂

3 at bats per blade - then out, no matter what. Life’s too short to worry about whether I am getting enough mileage out of a blade.

as soon as my old blade starts to make frequent cuts to the skin, I immediately change it. This happens once a month in average.

Top Bottom