What's new

How do YOU tell when it’s time for a new blade?

Several times I’ve found that that after a rough or inefficient shave due to what I assumed had become a worn out blade, I’ll replace it the next day with a brand new one (usually from a brand noted for its sharpness) and find myself with the same results as the day before. Only after improving my technique and lathering method have I realized that it wasn’t the blade’s fault but my own.

So my question is: how do you personally recognize when a blade has become dull? After a subpar shave with a several day old blade, do you try again the next day to confirm that it was indeed the blade and not the fault of your lather or razor technique?

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I have so many DE blades that I change then whenever I feel like it, sometimes when the blade has noticeably dulled but more often I just fancy a change of brand. This is not the case with Feather AC and GEM SE blades where I only have a single brand of blade. If a shave was subpar for DE blade, of a brand that I have used before, then I would scrap it. For a totally new brand, or vintage blade then I would try another shave or two before deciding. I agree that technique is perhaps the most important aspect of shaving unless a blade is very poor indeed; lather is not too important to me as long as I can shave with it. I prefer a thinner lather, especially on the final pass or if using a straight or AC razor; I certainly do not like thick, yogurt style lather.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Several times I’ve found that that after a rough or inefficient shave due to what I assumed had become a worn out blade, I’ll replace it the next day with a brand new one (usually from a brand noted for its sharpness) and find myself with the same results as the day before. Only after improving my technique and lathering method have I realized that it wasn’t the blade’s fault but my own.

So my question is: how do you personally recognize when a blade has become dull? After a subpar shave with a several day old blade, do you try again the next day to confirm that it was indeed the blade and not the fault of your lather or razor technique?
I would suggest you count the # of times you use your blades and over time you will not go past that average sweet spot.
Example : the way I learned to toss a blade is push a few blades to the point they do not work well as you have done already and then just shave until you feel it tugging or not performing well and you kind of get a base to work from. If you get 4-7 good shaves (DFS) per blade then the average would be 5.5. I would just set a limit of only max of 5 shaves or less on those blades & toss regardless how well it is performing and time for a new one.
Some folks do not shave their full face(mustaches, goatees.....) so that changes things so everyone is slightly different of course.
If you get 4 shaves per blade that works out to about $.02-.04 per shave and that is very good IMO. Beginners should not push a blade until your technique has matured a little and you will know when a blade is not performing over time.
If you buy Astra SP blades for $10 for 100 pcs and each blade is $.10 or about $.02-.03 cents average over time at 4 to 5 uses per blade that is really good IMO.
Hope this made sense for you!

Currently I change DE blades at least once a year, usually the last week of July. But I mostly use straights now.

Back when I used DE exclusively I would change the blade either when the shave was uncomfortable or when I wanted a change.

Sometimes a blade might last three weeks and sometimes half way through the first pass. Unlike many here, I didn't use a set number of shaves. What ever works for the individual.

Usually 3 shaves per blade for Wizamets / Nacets / GSB's and a few others. I toss Astra SPs after 2 shaves.

For a while I had been stretching the lifespan of blades by palm-stropping them. But I stopped because what is the point of getting 5 shaves out of a 10 cent blade. There's nearly a 1000 in my collection already.

I usually bin mine between 4-6 shaves.

However, I do this not because the blades no longer cut but because I get bored and want to try something else. Beyond 4 shaves or so, the way a blade cuts my whiskers changes, but it still cuts just fine. For me, anyway.

I have taken many DE blades deep into double digits just for giggles. Usually just a matter of adjusting angle, pressure or razor choice to get a decent result.

My beard is light and not particularly challenging and I shave daily. All of which may make the above easier for me than perhaps someone with a heavier beard or who is shaving less frequently.

Last edited:

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I only have a few brands/types of DE blades. I’ve tried to push all of them to 3 full shaves but none of them have made it. It’s easy now. Two shaves and in the bin.

I do get 6 shaves from my AC SE blades. I keep a running list of how many uses they have on them in my 2 AC razors.

I don’t move blades between razors. My top razors (6 at the moment) are all loaded up, ready to go on a whim. I do clean and dry them well after every shave, so I don’t have to worry about blade corrosion, etc..

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
Tugging is right out! Weepers are worse!

I do realize that weepers are produced by poor technique, but when the blade gets dull I apparently subconsciously increase pressure in a valiant but futile attempt to get the same results I got with the sharp blade. Ugh!

I keep track of my blade use with a die. I generally use the same blade and buy in large quantities. A couple of years ago I found that all my weepers were on the 15th pass with that blade. Easy-peasy, I switched out the blade after 12 passes. Yes, I could have changed blades in the middle of a shave, but that seemed a little silly to me. No more weepers. Of course I still fall short of perfection (darn it all!) and get 3 or 4 a year, but using sharp blades works for me.

So the short answer is that I change the blade before it is shot. I have no interest in ever experiencing what a dull blade feels like again. I absolutely does waste a few cents, but I'm the kind of big spender that simply doesn't feel the pain of those pennies going by the wayside - much to my wife's chagrin.

Weepers or an excessively strong aftershave sting.

Once you know your razor, you’ll find that they are pretty stable #shaves/blade. With one razor I get a good 10 shaves/blade, and most of my others about 4 or 5.

Top Bottom