What's new

How do you stop this?

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Or is it just part of owning a fountain pen? Always has happened with all my pens. Get’s all over my hands too.

1EAB4C74-2948-496D-8624-FD1052BDFDA5.jpeg

If it happens with all of your pens then there is a mistake in the process you are following to put ink into them.

I might not be the right person to answer as these things have never happened to me but.....

1) is it using a converter: in this case have you swiped clean the section and nib before using the pen ?
2) is it using a cartridge: in this case is it pushed down firmly ?
3) are you a frequent flyer and board a plane with cartridges / converters half full ?

Nothing else comes to mind. HTH

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I use a Pelikan M600, and a Cross with a converter, and I occasionally get the same issue. It is not confined to just after refilling and I assumed it was simply part and parcel of fountain pen ownership. I just wipe clean with a blotter.

These events, but it is only based on the 37 I have, are not normal. Maybe the temperature of your hand is higher than everybody elses and the ink expands thus exiting from the nib. Can you see if there are air pockets in the cartridges ? If it is the case you could gently tap the cartridge so that the pocket moves to the roundel, i.e. opposite to the nib.

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
That is called "Nib Creep" and it is very much dependent on the individual nib and the ink. I don't know of any way to actually stop nib creep but have never heard of it getting on anyone's hands before. Since it is dependent on the specific nib and ink combination, sometimes changing ink or doing a very detailed nib cleaning can help. Also take care when capping or uncapping to make sure you don't brush the cap or inner cap on the surface of the nib.

Here's an article on the phenomenon.

I've found that minor cases of nib creep are usually quite tolerable. I don't know if I'd consider what I see in the OP's photo to be minor, though. The way it might get on my hands would be indirect, I think, smearing from the nib into the cap and then getting from the cap on to part of the section, from whence it could get on my fingers. I think this has happened to me once or twice, but it's not usual.

As the linked article states, and Jar also mentioned, sometimes it can be partially ink dependent, but I like to think that I could use any fountain pen ink in any fountain pen. Still worth trying, though, if you don't want to buy more pens, or send them out to someone who might be able to fix them.

My Jinhao X450 gets some ink on top like that. Just enough to notice. Does not seem to bother me. It doe snot get on my hands. It is the only fountain I have ever used and being a high priced finely tuned piece of craftsman ship(sarcasm)..... I just assumed they all did it.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
It doesn’t bother me, except when it gets on my fingers. Which is often. I thought maybe it was because the pen is jostled around a bit. I’ll put it in my sweater pocket, toss it on the desk, leave it in my bag, picked up and put down a lot, yadda yadda.

Somehow the ink transfers from the nib to the grip. I assumed from being jostled and getting inside the cap. I basically only use it at work and I use it a lot. 3 days a week, and I replace the cartridge roughly monthly. So a cart will last about 12-20 days. I thought maybe I’m using it to much, but that shouldn’t matter.

I have the same problem with my Waterman pen. That was an interesting article. My Waterman has a gold medium nib and has had that problem from the day it was given to me.

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
Two different issues from your last post.

What you showed us is nib creep and by itself doesn't get on the section or fingers. Now abusing the pen by treating it as you describe will get ink in the cap and even behind an inner cap and that will get on your section and on your fingers.

Unfortunately once you get ink in the pen cap and in particular behind an inner cap cleaning it out is a major operation that will take time and require you cleaning and then leaving the pen until it fully dries, usually several days at a minimum and often will also require several iterations. If you have more than one pen the best bet is to take one out of rotation and give it a fully SPA treatment and while it's getting serviced work on your habits. No more tossing the pen on a desk or leaving it in a bag or stuffing it in a sweater pocket.

Start by putting the cap in a glass of water and letting it soak overnight. Replace any ink colored water and repeat until you don't get anymore dissolved ink after soaking overnight. Let it dry for at least two days. Then clean the nib and section fully, cap it up and treat it nicely.

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
Sooo I’ll just have to deal with an inky nib and fingers then :lol:

or not use a fountain pen at work.
Not necessarily. Try keeping the nib up when you’re not using the pen. Also, try a drier ink. Pelikan and Faber Castel inks are known to be dry. Iron gall inks tend to the drier side as well. You could replace the nib with an EF or F. Or replace the pen. Platinum pens have nice dry nibs that don’t creep as much as other brands. Or get a roller ball pen for knock around, throw-it-in-the-bag duty. Finally, it’s a good idea to keep a tissue or hanky handy to wipe the nib when it does creep.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Now abusing the pen by treating it as you describe ...

I'd call that using, not abusing. It's a pen, not a pet :biggrin1: None of my fountain pens or other writing implements get mollycoddled either. :)

One of my lesser used ones (spare pens) can get a puddle on top of the nib too, but it doesn't tend to get on the section or my fingers, thankfully. Interesting article about the nib slot surface finish.

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
I'd call that using, not abusing. It's a pen, not a pet :biggrin1: None of my fountain pens or other writing implements get mollycoddled either. :)

One of my lesser used ones (spare pens) can get a puddle on top of the nib too, but it doesn't tend to get on the section or my fingers, thankfully. Interesting article about the nib slot surface finish.
I don't baby my pens either, but there is a point at which you have to realize that fountain pens run on gravity and capillary action and treat it accordingly. So if you toss it somewhere with the nib down, well, don't be surprised when Sir Isaac Newton takes over and the ink runs right out the nib.

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
If you are getting ink in the cap then something is wrong. The most likely cause is the user and since humans are a programable multipurpose tool it is also the easiest part to modify.

You simply do not THROW a fountain pen !! This is barbaric. You can do this to a ball point or similar pens or a pencil but not with a FP. Pets or no pets :)

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Even does it with my Pilot VP. I had a Lamy Safari - same thing. Did it with the Franklin Christoph B&B LE pen too.

The Lamy Safari and Franklin Christoph never left my home desk. So I dare say it’s not entirely how you treat (or abuse) your pen.

Sounds like it’s somewhat normal and I’m not worried about it anymore. Thanks guys!

Top Bottom