What's new

How do you get your coffee at work?

As the title says, just curious on how you manage to get coffee at work... I've seen some thermoses, do you have a little set up? Just drink the sludge from the local chain? Or one of those auto pod machines?

Bought a Flair plus a 1Zpresso grinder. Temp-controlled travel kettle. Jeweller's scale.

Awesome little setup. You can make top-flight espresso with this.

linty1

My wallet cries.
Bought a Flair plus a 1Zpresso grinder. Temp-controlled travel kettle. Jeweller's scale.

Awesome little setup. You can make top-flight espresso with this.

Just a "you might be interested" thing, I found a tamoer for the Flair classic:

Its a tamper and distributor all in one thing. Creativewerks on etsy makes similar, but theirs is 3x the cost. Also a quick note the one I linked has a thing where it doesn't adjust high enough to accomodate much beyind 13g of grounds, which they ackn and include o rings for, I emailed them and the owner replied saying that new and improved ones will come out "in a few months". I'll prob keep an eye on their website and see then (won't buy now, its not urgent for me).

Just a "you might be interested" thing, I found a tamoer for the Flair classic:

Its a tamper and distributor all in one thing. Creativewerks on etsy makes similar, but theirs is 3x the cost. Also a quick note the one I linked has a thing where it doesn't adjust high enough to accomodate much beyind 13g of grounds, which they ackn and include o rings for, I emailed them and the owner replied saying that new and improved ones will come out "in a few months". I'll prob keep an eye on their website and see then (won't buy now, its not urgent for me).

Thanks! That is a nice-looking product - I may investigate more in a few months when the new & improved ones come out. If you happen to buy one before I do, update with your thoughts? I'll do the same if I get it.

That said... I'm genuinely not sure if the portafilter dizzy tools are an improvement over WDT & tamp.

I've used one for quite a while with my e61 setup, which I thought was useful because of the wide surface area you're dealing with at 58mm. But this was more a time-saving than anything, I found with careful WDT + stockflething I could get more even extractions. It was just a bit of a headache to do all that, so the convenience was worth it sometimes. On the Flair, the tamp-through funnel and relatively small surface-area PF make an even WDT quite easy. I just settle the grounds a bit, leave the funnel in place and tamp. I mostly get very even extractions, with the occasional hiccup. Be curious as to how useful this tool will be, the current website reviews don't indicate.

linty1

My wallet cries.
Thanks! That is a nice-looking product - I may investigate more in a few months when the new & improved ones come out. If you happen to buy one before I do, update with your thoughts? I'll do the same if I get it.

That said... I'm genuinely not sure if the portafilter dizzy tools are an improvement over WDT & tamp.

I've used one for quite a while with my e61 setup, which I thought was useful because of the wide surface area you're dealing with at 58mm. But this was more a time-saving than anything, I found with careful WDT + stockflething I could get more even extractions. It was just a bit of a headache to do all that, so the convenience was worth it sometimes. On the Flair, the tamp-through funnel and relatively small surface-area PF make an even WDT quite easy. I just settle the grounds a bit, leave the funnel in place and tamp. I mostly get very even extractions, with the occasional hiccup. Be curious as to how useful this tool will be, the current website reviews don't indicate.

You're right in the easy wdt, Right now I JUST USE whoa.. caps... sorry, I just use a toothpick and stir it around a bit, prob why I didn't feel the need to buy right away. Will do if I end up getting it.

+1 on the distribution tool. I picked of a inexpensive one somewhere (sorry I can't recall where) but my tamper is separate. I feel that it helps me get a more consistent distribution. I figure I am still somewhat on topic as I have been stuck working from home since March 2020 so my home espresso setup is my work coffee setup.

Back when I went to the office I would put a double americano in a small hydroflask. I also had a zojirushi hot water heater and would switch to puerh tea once the coffee was done. I had to be a bit surreptitious to hide from the "can't plug stuff in" police that would randomly do a sweep of cube-land. :cuppa:

Our department has a coffee pot. (Mr. Coffee) 4 of us are coffee drinkers. So we all pitch in for coffee and filters.

The coffee that we usually use is Kirkland or Folgers.

I keep a tin of Cafe Due Monde and make it, if i beat them to making the coffee that morning.

linty1

My wallet cries.
You know what I've realized? I don't want coffee at work. I want espresso/an americano. And why most of my attempts have left me wanting.

I have a minipresso ns on the way I found used/ cheap on ebay so I can play with that. I think? barrin some miracle with that I may go back to the aeropress, now that I have a better understanding of what I really want. It'll get me closer than what I've been trying before.

I'm a straight coffee snob. I have been roasting my own beans for over 20 years and have high expectations. That said, my office serves swill. I tend to take a big Yeti cup full of pour-over or espresso (when I make the time). If I indulge beyond that, I keep another pour over system at my desk and tap hot water from the commercial coffee maker in the break room. I used to keep a Krups Moka Pot at my desk, but they didn't like the fact it made my department smell like a coffee house (heathens).

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Pre COVID mostly Starbucks or a local coffee roaster. Probably at least 3 trips a day if not more. I can’t believe how much this break has saved me.

I'm a fortunate soul and work wherever I want. I start with a french press in the kitchen and then usually end up at a local spot with some colleagues where they serve decent coffee. Also, much like the old days, nearly everyone still offers me coffee throughout the day.

Messygoon

Abandoned By Gypsies.
Company provided Amazon and Seattle’s Best coffees. Neither are favorites, so tomorrow I’m bringing in New Mexico Pinion Coffee. Haven‘t had it since Trader Joe’s stopped carrying several years ago, when it was a staple in our house. Looking forward to this treat.

6A3B4139-3F19-4CF1-AD87-EEE8C8A978F4.jpeg

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
I am retired now, but I worked in state government. Texas does not allow use of budgeted funds for coffee. So most employees made the morning trek to buy coffee nearby. We were not allowed to have coffee makers in our work areas. I figured it cost us about a quarter of a million dollars a year in lost productivity and made lower salaried employees shoulder a ridiculous cost. *$ loved it.

Messygoon

Abandoned By Gypsies.
Company provided Amazon and Seattle’s Best coffees. Neither are favorites, so tomorrow I’m bringing in New Mexico Pinion Coffee. Haven‘t had it since Trader Joe’s stopped carrying several years ago, when it was a staple in our house. Looking forward to this treat.

View attachment 1313944
Sadness. This is not the same NM Pinon Coffee I remember from years ago. I've read that the natural flavoring is not the same as the original. Tabac, and now this. Pass.

linty1

My wallet cries.
I tried a decaf pod in my minipresso, looked ok coming out, lots of crema, poured my hot water in (my usual 6 ounces) at the end to make my americano and.... blergh. Weak. I have a caffeinated so maybe I'll try that.

Top Bottom