What's new

How do you get your coffee at work?

linty1

My wallet cries.
As the title says, just curious on how you manage to get coffee at work... I've seen some thermoses, do you have a little set up? Just drink the sludge from the local chain? Or one of those auto pod machines?

I start with a thermos of cappuccino brought from home. That does me most days, and if not there are hundreds of places to get a coffee within a few minutes' jaunt. Three of them are good.

Tim Hortons has something they call espresso for 60 cents. I have have had quite a few of those.

Thermos Cup for the drive to work... at work we have a Keurig in the office with some halfway decent K-Cups. Not the best but beats most of the vending machine coffees I've had in years past (other plants I've worked at)

K-cup machine sadly, need to get an electric kettle and pour over setup to match what I do at home.

-Stephen

I used a Black & Decker Brew & Go. We weren't supposed to have these in our cubicle, but my bosses weren't brave enough to say anything.

linty1

My wallet cries.
Interesting responses! I was thinkinof going the pour over route myself, maybe just bringcoffee in small batches, the fridge here is dirty and filled with crud, so I dont think I will put it there.

I use a thermocup from home, or buy it from the Shoppette on Post or make a pad coffee in the office...it depends..
If I've got enough time after B&B surfing, I'll grind the beans and take the thermocup.
If I've spent too much B&B time and just have barely enough time to shower and shave, I'll stop for a cup at the Shoppette.. only 89 cents if I bring my thermocup and a choice of properly made drip of various strengths and flavors.
Last resort when I'm so late I don't dare stop, pad coffee from my officemates community machine.. not good but it beats $2 a cup at the German bakery or the $3-$4 at the Starbucks on Post.

Some kind of proper coffee maker in the office would be great but our office is too cluttered with people and junk, there is no room.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Funny, kinda. I'm on a med that has taken away all desire for my AM coffee. So I drink the crud from the Bunn at work if someone has already made it, and I need a fix.

I do pour over using a Capresso Grinder, Guatamaln beans and a Hario filter holder and en electric hot pot. I also use a digital gram scale to make sure my proportions are kept in check - 23.4 grams of beans to 265 grams of water - just my personal coffee zone. I love the whole prcess as it sets the tone for my 5tg grders for the rest of the day ... "Be careful Mr Landers has has his coffee and has no more life lines to give."

linty1

My wallet cries.
@ Mr eleven - is this for like the whole office? or a personally set up at your desk? Thats quite impressive if its all at your desk.

I've thought about getting some sorta pod machine and get ppl to chip in etc. but unfortunately getting ppl to contribute for anything is pulling teeth, and things would disappear etc etc.

Legion

Staff member
I live in Melbourne, so by law there is always at least three coffee shops less than a minute walk away. I can count at least seven places to get good coffee within one block of work, so I pay someone who went to barista school to do it right.

@ Mr eleven - is this for like the whole office? or a personally set up at your desk? Thats quite impressive if its all at your desk.

I have a mini fridge + microwave + electric water kettle in my classroom at the sink area. The kettle and coffee grinder sit on top of the microwave which leaves me about 6 inches of counter space left that I use to do the pour-over. The gram scale doesn't take up any room really. Plus, I get to my classroom at 6am so I can take my time and enjoy the process.

I do pour over using a Capresso Grinder, Guatamaln beans and a Hario filter holder and en electric hot pot. I also use a digital gram scale to make sure my proportions are kept in check - 23.4 grams of beans to 265 grams of water - just my personal coffee zone. I love the whole prcess as it sets the tone for my 5tg grders for the rest of the day ... "Be careful Mr Landers has has his coffee and has no more life lines to give."

What the hell was I drinking when I wrote that!?
(I think I know.)

:sailor:

linty1

My wallet cries.
I have a mini fridge + microwave + electric water kettle in my classroom at the sink area. The kettle and coffee grinder sit on top of the microwave which leaves me about 6 inches of counter space left that I use to do the pour-over. The gram scale doesn't take up any room really. Plus, I get to my classroom at 6am so I can take my time and enjoy the process.

:sailor:

Very nice Brian! I dont have a sink in my classroom, I envy you! But I think I will do the pour over in our prep room and bring it to my class. Get the mug warmer plate going and this might work out :)

You know what...I've tried just about everything. v60 into a thermos, aeropress at work, drinking coffee before I go to work, buying from the local shop and I alway go back to whatever is the easiest which is normally the $5/month bunn brewed that's been cooking for the past 24 hours. I roast and drink my good coffee on the weekends and leave it for the wife who takes care of the 3 kids.

We have a Keurig machine and work does buy the pods. The original machine was brought in by an employee and whoever wanted to use it was able to if they brought their own pods. Shortly after that work started buying the pods and when the machine finally broke a couple years later they replaced it with another. There are usually about five or six different kinds of coffees and one Green Tea. I usually just drink some kind of tea that I bring from home and I use one of those reusable pods putting the tea bag in it. It's great for making iced tea as well.

I've had a cold lately so I've been drinking a lot of tea since it seems to help. So I bought a Keurig for home this past weekend and while I've never been much of a coffee drinker, who knows I might even try some coffees in it for the hell of it. It was on sale for $79 and I think it's worth it for the convenience that it brings.

Top Bottom