What's new

How do you dry your brush after a shave?

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
All I do is rinse well after done using any brush by squeezing out excess water & take it to the towel and just towel dry. I have a fan I use for drying my wipe up shave cloths and made a elastic hanger for my brush. I usually dry the wet wipe up towels to avoid mildew smell for 15 to 20 min with a fan on low and just hang the towel dried moist brush in front of the fan to help dry the brush also. (2 birds with one stone, a old saying)
Then hang the brush in my brush rack and use a different brush in next day shave seems to work well for myself for the last 4 years.
I think it is wise to have 2 brushes minimum to give a brush time to dry properly and also a nice change up + in case brush gets dropped damaging the brush handle.
Just putting a towel dried brush away in a rack for at least 24 hrs should be alright most of the time but is dependent on room temperatures also.
It might seem a silly practice but damp towels take a long time to dry in the bathroom in just still air I found and hate the scent of holding a smelly mildewed cloth & I'm the one who cleans up always when I'm done shaving so it is done right.
Drying a brush with knot up or down will dry at same rate mostly at mostly identical times, I still like to store my brush with knot down because it seems more traditional & logical but it will hardly make a difference at the end of complete drying cycle.
(some old archived photo's, click on photo to enlarge)
Fan drying new boar brush.jpg
Experimenting with brush drying times. (2).jpg

Have some great shaves!

linty1

My wallet cries.
I wrist flick it until I stop nearing the light splatter of drops on the tub, then if its being reused then it goes back on the bathroom counter, else it goes into my little drying area for all my shaving gear (a towel laid out in an open area) and when dry it goes back onto the shelf.

I have brush stands for all but one of my brushes. I rotate out which one sits on the counter on it's handle. It doesn't really matter how you dry it. I like to let my animal hair brushes dry for 72 hours. If I am shaving consecutive days I will use my single synthetic.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I gently flick the water out, towel dry by rubbing the brush into the towel and then place the brush in a brush rack. Rack is not needed but looks nice.

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
I gently flick the water out, towel dry by rubbing the brush into the towel and then place the brush in a brush rack. Rack is not needed but looks nice.
Same. Purchased a brush stand with some other items when I got into this. Not necessary, that being said I still use it every day to hang the brush upside down. I figure since I bought it, I might as well use it. It will also hold a SR which I think is cool.

I wrist flick, give a few swipes on a towel, and hang on a stand to dry.
I just got a chubby 3 that won't fit in a stand though, so that just stands up on the counter until dry, then put away.

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
Gently flick the water out, brush lightly over a towel and put on the stand (the build in one, i.e. the bottom of the brush) and put aside to dry. Do not put a wet/moist brush in an enclosed environment, like a cabinet.

I wrist flick, give a few swipes on a towel, and hang on a stand to dry.
I just got a chubby 3 that won't fit in a stand though, so that just stands up on the counter until dry, then put away.
Permanent is in the dryer sounds like a good option though lol.

Haven't used badger or boar for quite a while now, only use synthetics but dry them the same way. Thorough rinsing, then 2 or 3 wrist flicks followed by 3 or 4 wipes across a towel. Dry off the handle and then hang upside down in a stand. Synthetics dry much faster so they're completely dry in a few hours.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I only have one natural hair shaving brush at present. Well, I have more than one, but the others have been demoted to non-shaving use (dusting keyboards, etc). I rinse it well, flick the water out, give it a few swipes on a towel, then leave it to air. If it's lost a bristle or two during the shave, I may add a few seconds of profanities carried on a warm air current, just to speed things up a bit...

Most of my shaves are done with synthetics though, so I can skip the towel and profanity stages. Just flick out the excess water, and leave to air.

Synthetic - quick squeeze couple flicks and done. If large open spot blow on it to even it out.
Natural hair - squeeze, flick, repeat, quick towel dry then hang on stand if small enough of a brush/knot.

Gently flick the water out, brush lightly over a towel and put on the stand (the build in one, i.e. the bottom of the brush) and put aside to dry. Do not put a wet/moist brush in an enclosed environment, like a cabinet.

I do this, but without the towel step. Seems to work out.

Rinse well, flick the water out, brush lightly over a towel and put outside under cover and out of the sun to dry in the breeze.

Top Bottom