What's new

How do I make my dorm room smell nice?

If it's a carpet use carpet fresh and vacuum if its Linoleum or other slick material use a floor cleaner like Mr.Clean floor cleaner. And get yourself a plug in air freshener. Don't waste your money on the Galde candle they are expensive, don't last long and are not very scented. Get a Yankee candle if your going to go the candle route. My wife has a few of these around the house, they use a light to heat scented wax and really fill the room with great smells. You can get all types of scented wax. Plus you get a night lite as a bonus :lol:

proxy.php

OldSaw

The wife's investment
What about cigars? Have you tried smoking a few cigars in the room? Maybe invite a few friends over and smoke a few sticks, that oughta do it. :biggrin1:

The first thing in fighting odors is to identify the Oder. Once you do that, then you have a handle on identifying the source of the odor so that you can tackle it. If the source seems to be general funk on the whole floor of the dorm, then some sort of air freshened is about the only thing that you do.

Tea or Blenheim Boquet candle from Penhaligon's. I have the Blenheim Boquet special edition (nothing fancy, it's black instead of white). After burning it for maybe 5-10 minutes, I can still catch whiffs of the smell days and days after.

Truly recommend it.

Use incense and other scents like candles on your window sill with an open window for the best effect.

Why fight it?

You're in college, embrace the stink!

"rejoice oh young man in thy youth!"

Add some new potent offenses so the next resident can ponder these very same questions.

Carpets in the hall are horrible culprits. We (some friends and I) took matters into our own hands and sprayed dilute vinegar on the hall carpet one night. Not enough to be wet in the morning, but enough to stay wet for a few hours. Smelled horrible for a day, and then everybody was pleased at the fresh smell of the hall for the next few months. Baking soda was also swept into the carpet for house keeping to vacuum out a few times.

We had a few neighbors who would leave their trash outside the door, and it would occasionally leak into the carpet. The trash chute was not very far as there was one on every floor. Our RA took this as open revolt and almost had repeat offenders removed from the dorm.

Phil

The best smelling dorm I've ever been in was my Modern Dance major roommate in college. He had a humidifier that he would pour essential oils in. The smell would diffuse around the room and it smelled great, and not too strong. I think he bought the oils at a craft store, JoAnn's is the one around here.

This thread was brought back from 3 years ago.

the OP is now graduated and is a successful middle manager at a life insurance company in downtown Hartford, Conn.

Yeah yeah, Zombie threads...

Tea. You get the benifit of drinkng it and having a grreat smell in the dor room! Especially the tropical teas which you can put into a diffuser or one of those potpurri things. Awesome!

Last edited:
Top Bottom