What's new

How do I find shave "shops"

I went into a Sally’s Beauty. They have original clubman, a VDH razor... a couple other shave accessories. It’s the only brick and mortar store I’ve seen clubman, so I’ll give them that. While it was a different razor than what they carry now, my first DE razor was from Sally’s beauty in VA.

My wife took the girls to get haircuts and brought me home this as a surprise earlier this week:
3F6FF1EE-C893-484C-A50A-7A95CA72A6DC.jpeg

...so random hair cutters places can surprise you with what they carry. I’ve never been in a dedicated shave shop, and most brick and mortar places have little to nothing. Cremo and VDH deluxe is the extend of what I see on any shelf where I’m at... but there are exceptions.

Wasn't that sweet of her.

Our Walgreens had Clubman after shave. I decided to pick some up. There was a yellow sticker showing 50% off or something but it was all gone. I am guessing it will not be back :(

I know Chicago has OAS store in a mall on Michagan Ave but I wouldn't buy an full price. Also beauty supply stores have stuff from blades, though mediocre for me (Dorco, Voskhod, and some Personna, but Astra is cool). And some decent shaving creams. For me it's not it as clubman and other things have alcohol and just not my preference, but they have Durags for me.

Wow, some are more internet fluent than I LOL.

I go to Joplin fairly often so I will definitely look into some more of these next time I go. In my home town, we have a grocery store. Relatively small. Mostly grocery and not much "house hold". Anyway I found some "bathroom" type grooming stuff and was looking through it for the first time. Nothing really stand outish EXCEPT they have single edge blades AND injector blades...… but no double edge???????? Found that interesting, but no one in my real life would care so I had to tell somewhere haha

I am going to Joplin, MO. To most, it is not big, but it has 10 times what you find near me. Looks like you may know Kansas City. It is Maybe half that or less. I do get up to KC occasionally. Any suggestions for my next trip that way? LOL

Bigger is a relative term, I guess.

And I sure as heck wouldn't have guessed Joplin.

That reveal of your destination makes me smile. More than smile. You are a fortunate man. It's like Sheriff Taylor and Deputy Fife doing a double date in Mount Pilot...which is the county seat and nothing to sneeze at by any means!

I used to be stationed at Fort Riley, and am therefore familiar with that part of America's small town culture. Best 4th of July I ever had was in a small Kansas town, no doubt similar to what you know in Missouri.

Spare a few minutes for a "Sally Beauty", if they have one. It is a national franchise and they do have some wetshaving supplies.

I am right in the corner of Kansas. The closest towns around me are 1,000 ish people. Fort Riley is 3.5 hrs away and has 7,800 ish people. Joplin has 52,000 ish people. So ya....BIG town for me hahaha I believe someone posted that it did have a Sally Beauty, but it did not make the list of stops this time. Sounded to "female" I guess. I will check it out next time.

I ride all over on my HD and let me tell you.... Kansas, it is THE most boring haha. But as long as you make sure to keep some fuel in the tank, getting lost on the prairie is quite therapeutic.

I am right in the corner of Kansas. The closest towns around me are 1,000 ish people. Fort Riley is 3.5 hrs away and has 7,800 ish people. Joplin has 52,000 ish people. So ya....BIG town for me hahaha I believe someone posted that it did have a Sally Beauty, but it did not make the list of stops this time. Sounded to "female" I guess. I will check it out next time.

I ride all over on my HD and let me tell you.... Kansas, it is THE most boring haha. But as long as you make sure to keep some fuel in the tank, getting lost on the prairie is quite therapeutic.

I can see why some might call Kansas boring, but I was charmed by it. I was there in the 1990s. For awhile I owned an '88 Mustang 5.0 and would just drive around on backroads reading historical markers, going to gunshows, or competing in rifle matches.

Were I there now, I'd be doing the same, except now searching out small antiques shops in the hinterlands where a Gillette Toggle is probably hiding.

Top Bottom