What's new

How can I restore this damaged tech cap?

Well anyone can give idea about it? Meanwhile the replacement cap is on the way.
20190216_151302.jpg
20190216_151209.jpg

That is probably not repairable. It is made by casting (molding) a type of metal (Zamac) that eventually falls apart once the plating is gone and the underneath is exposed. This is why the other Tech you bought is much better because the whole razor is made of brass underneath the plating. Even if it gets, or has scratches or the plating begins to wear off and expose the brass underneath, it's still okay and will not rot away. Your plain ball-end Tech that you just got is very good. I just shaved with the exact same razor today and the shave was perfect. Absolutely baby smooth shave result with that simple ball-end Tech.

That is probably not repairable. It is made by casting (molding) a type of metal (Zamac) that eventually falls apart once the plating is gone and the underneath is exposed. This is why the other Tech you bought is much better because the whole razor is made of brass underneath the plating. Even if it gets, or has scratches or the plating begins to wear off and expose the brass underneath, it's still okay and will not rot away. Your plain ball-end Tech that you just got is very good. I just shaved with the exact same razor today and the shave was perfect. Absolutely baby smooth shave result with that simple ball-end Tech.
So my second vintage gillette tech c4 1957 is brass right??
20190221_163746.jpg
20190221_164029.jpg

It doesn't affect how the razor shaves and holds the blade. I'd just keep using it.

But to answer your question, just take it to a car/bike body repair shop. It will take them few minutes to sand it and even it out with body filler. If you do it yourself, you'll need to buy a whole can of filler, which costs more than the razor and you only use microscopic amount of it.

Yes, you can see the brass showing through where the plating is worn away on the edge/corner of the top cap in your photo.
Actually it is lighting. No plates loss at top cap. But According to sources it is bass because the ball end techs produce before 1962 are brass. But 1950 to 1953 is ferrous metals due to shortage because of Korean war.
20190221_163622.jpg

Depends what the material actually is. MAZAK or ZAMAK is just a fancy name for pot metal. This can be repaired with low temperature solder specifically made for the purpose but replating would be a pain. If it's steel it could be TIG welded. If brass it could be soldered as well. Any way you look at it, the repair would probably cost more than the razor is worth unless you do it yourself.

Depends what the material actually is. MAZAK or ZAMAK is just a fancy name for pot metal. This can be repaired with low temperature solder specifically made for the purpose but replating would be a pain. If it's steel it could be TIG welded. If brass it could be soldered as well. Any way you look at it, the repair would probably cost more than the razor is worth unless you do it yourself.
Hmm yeah I have ordered replacement cap which is on the way for the first one which is Zamak. The second one is brass which is in really good shape and condition. Of course I wouldn't repair the first one anymore due to replacement cap.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
You could muck around and try and fix it just to see if you can. You have a replacement coming so if you did make it worse it is no loss and you might just repair it and make it usable. You never know until you try.

Top Bottom