What's new

Hot Water & Brushes | How Hot Is Too Hot?

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I know everyone says hot water can damage boar and badger brushes. Maybe horse and synthetic as well.

1583373442830.png

Some say the knots are damaged by hot water. Some say the glue can be loosened. None of us want to damage our nice brushes.

For a long time I was a cold water shaver. Hot water was not on my radar then but it is now. I like my brushes and lather warm or even hot. My small Moss scuttle helps. I soap my brushes in water before each use. During the shave I might dip the tips in water.

1583373240871.png

In these processes I want to avoid damaging the knots and brushes, but exactly how hot is too hot?

Probably some of this has to do with heat but mostly I'm interested in damaging temperatures here (unless you think I shouldn't be).

Happy shaves,

Jim

Hot tap water shouldn't hurt your brush. I soak mine just up to below the wooden handle and have had no problems with the knot loosening. I have had a couple of my brushes for over ten years.

Clayton

Sent from my SM-A705U using Tapatalk

I've soaked boar, badger, and synthetic brushes completely, handle and all with no issues. My water heater is set at at least 125 degrees.

I also like to use hot water to build my lather. But I only use hot tap water. I wouldn't go so far as to boil water for a shave or even nuke in the microwave. That's total overkill as far as I'm concerned. So, hot tap water for soaking my brush and building lather. After that it's all cold water until I'm done with my shave. Then I use hot tap water again to rinse and clean my gear. I don't believe hot tap water will have any negative effects on brushes.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
If it is too hot for your hands, then it might be too hot for your natural fibre brush.
I'd say if it's too hot for a baby, it's too hot for your brush.

I like warm water and I don't put any hot water near my brush.

I'm in the warm, not too hot, camp.

Agree that if it's too hot for my hands then it's too hot for my brush.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
I'm in the warm, not too hot, camp.

Agree that if it's too hot for my hands then it's too hot for my brush.
+1

I think using really hot water on brushes should definitely be disclosed when later selling them on the BST or elsewhere.

I'm sure there's damage to the hairs and the knot's glue.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I have always soaked the whole brush, bristles and handle in a sink of hand hot water. No problem so far after years. That said, these days I often like a cold water shave and use the same method.

If I can't keep my hand under the running water, then it's too hot to use during any part of the shave. Hot water also leaves more white residue on everything.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I always use hot tap water. Here in Australia my hot water heater is set to 60 Celsius.,not sure what that is in Fahrenheit. No issues to date.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Thanks for all the responses so far.

Lots of guys using hot tap water...50 & 60 Celsius is quite hot...and some not willing to go beyond warm.

I wonder if there's any science here or mostly experience based opinion (which is perhaps anecdotal science, right)?

Happy shaves,

Jim

Jim,

I generally use hot tap water but always soak the brush in one of those old spice mugs. I find they are the perfect size for most of my brushes, where I can put the water line just below the glue bump and below the handle. I doubt the water that “wicks” up into the glue portion will be of concern. It’s not for me. The brush generally soaks while I shower and 4-5 minutes later has cooled significantly.

My understanding is that whether badger or boar, bristles are boiled to be sterilized before they are tied into a knot. If that process doesn’t harm them, I doubt our tap water will. But the glue and handle is a possibility, thus the reason for me soaking just below the handle.

Top Bottom