What's new

Horse brush reviews - someone needs to post one!

I know we have several horsehair brush users here, and for some reason I feel myself getting a case of SBAD. That might be assuaged by a horse brush - although my new synthetic help the malady, so why would yet another brush? :tongue_sm

However we need some numbers, people! :lol:

For the new guys (and everyone really, but new guys are sometimes more afraid to air opinions) - Seriously, reviews are great because it puts all the comments and feelings in one place in logical order. So on any kind of item, not just brushes, if you have something that no one has reviewed yet (or even if they have), don't be afraid to post one! Even if your review conflicts with the majority view - dissenting opinions are sometimes more useful than a big love fest. You don't need to be an expert.

here is my line up of horse hair brushes,two pro barber brushes,both with "extra horse" (extra hair) ,one black one tan,more "flex" than the other 3,but once you learn to soak and lather with just the tip of the brush,they become a very useful and face friendly shaving tool...the other 3 are all the same top of the line vie-long 23mm horse hair knot,just different handles..they lather just great ! tips are not too soft and not too scratchy..plenty of backbone...they trap lather very well,but are not "lather hogs" like the big fan shaped vie-long silvertip,which is the softest brush I ever used...vie-long brushes are made in spain,they are the finest quality horse hair brushes I have ever tried....quality of handle and knot materials are first class ,as is the quality of workmanship...

Last edited:
Malocchio, why don't you put on a review on the Vie-Long? I have some Indian horse brushes (various brands). Will put them on also.

Malocchio, why don't you put on a review on the Vie-Long? I have some Indian horse brushes (various brands). Will put them on also.

it's a deal wil....the mornings shave will see a review of the 23mm,,,,how about a photo or two of your horse brushes...most of the pakistani and some of the turk brushes don't even have a brand name on them...

I've got a Vintage EverReady Horsehair I got NOS and have used a couple times. It feels a LOT like a 620 Semogue with a bit more prickle. It holds lather like a badger, but holds ZERO water. You have to dip for water a dozen times to get a good lather out of this thing. If you get passed that it makes good lather, up there with my best boars. I prefer the face feel of boars, but I'll give it some time to break in and see if it improves.

No formal review here, but a first impression i posted a few months ago:

Anticipating my increased travel schedule this Summer, I purchased two inexpensive brushes to try: A Parker Synthetic in white and a Vie-Long 13710 Horse Hair. Each arrived in basic plastic packaging.

The Vie-Long is the very inexpensive version with a molded plastic "maroon" colored handle(actually brownish-red). "20mm knot and 51mm loft"
It was very dirty and reeked of ungroomed horse, but cleaned up well, thanks to the suggestions from you members. Lost a lot of hairs in the early going. The ends of the bristles are fairly soft and comfortable. It isn't exactly floppy---well, OK, it is. I like the feeling of the hairs It just seems that the loft is just too high for these hairs, and that it would benefit greatly from shortening the loft and possibly packing the knot more tightly (maybe they are more densely packed on the more expensive ones?). I could see this working very well if those two factors were improved. It therefore lathers soap of creams well in a bowl, but is a mess for face lathering. I may try the O-Ring trick to see if I can effectively shorten the loft and tighten up the knot. Also, it seems to take much longer to dry than my badgers. (Savile Row 3824, Rooney Super 3/1)

I have since put on one O-ring which tightened/shortened the knot to make it into a reasonable brush for face and bowl lathering. It is a comfortable brush on the face, and I would like to get a higher-end horse hair brush to see how a more densely-packed one performs. It is my preferred travel brush even though it doesn't dry as quickly as the synthetic.

it's a deal wil....the mornings shave will see a review of the 23mm,,,,how about a photo or two of your horse brushes...most of the pakistani and some of the turk brushes don't even have a brand name on them...

When will you put the review on? I have a review on a Pakistani brush on, working on an Indian brush.

Top Bottom