What's new

Honing Improvement Through Partnering

I have been razor swapping with a honing partner as a means of improving my honing.

The idea is that you hone one or more of your razors and send them to you partner who has done the same thing. Upon receiving the razors you do any testing, HHT, microscope, etc. and shave with the razor. Then you communicate privately about how you found your partners honing. The feedback that you get this way can be very honest since the only reason that both parties are doing the exchange is for honest feedback. You then dull the razors, hone them again, and repeat the whole exchange. This continues as long as both parties want. I feel that this system works better than doing honing PIFs as the person assessing the edge is in no way indebted to you and is not trying to spare your feelings and since you are working with the same person repeatedly, they can relate present edges to ones that you have sent them previously. Also since each partner is paying for postage at their end there is no money exchange hassle. My partner and I take care of disinfecting the razors at the receiving end of the swap as this seems to make the most sense to us.

Feel free to advertise for partners on this thread if you wish, but I would encourage that forming partnerships and all feedback to be done by PM. The more privacy you can maintain, the more honest you can be with you assessments.

Last edited:
This is an excellent idea, and I am willing to be part of it in the near future. However, I am new to straights in general, and I have only honed two so far. So as a newbie on the razor honing and the shaving part, I need to wait a while. Don't get me wrong, the razors that I did hone were greatly improved and compare well to what a reputable honer did for me on another razor, but I still want to wait a bit to develop both honing and user skills. However, I have some natural finish options that are just about ready to try out. Hopefully it won't be long.

Another advantage to this is that you are getting feedback from someone who hones and is honing the same razors as you are.

I don't know if I would want another person to dull my edges. I mean, could it be enough to simply send a razor that I have honed to another person and the other way around? If I put an edge on a razor that I find to be shave ready, why would it need to be dulled and then re-honed?

Just asking.

Frank
Well, of course you could do what ever you and your partner decided. There are no rules here. The way my partner and I see it, we get more honing practice per postage dollar and we each get more experience honing different razors. We are generally sending razors that we don't mind getting the additional wear. Your way would work fine for getting feedback though and the more variations on the theme we hear the more opportunity there is. It is likely that your idea will appeal to others, thanks for suggesting it.

My partner and I started with one razor each and now we are sending two each so we get twice the honing per postage dollar. I think more than two or three and you start having record keeping issues as the razors are often honed on different stones, plus if too many razors are sent the time between honing and feedback gets longer and you may not remember the honing as well.

Perfect idea! I think its great. We have a few gents here locally and get together every couple months or so and compare techniques and ideas. Its really great and a learning experience for sure. The boards here have been a little slow lately, so this can fill a void for sure.

I would be in. Thinking about this may be that two or more users could get EBay specials and pass those back and forth as that would be a repeatable item. Rather then sending a different straight each time and introducing all new issues (spine, smile, frown, ect).

I hone for free and ask for honest and critical feedback from everyone I do it for. Some give it, some don't. I know what my face likes but making sure that you hone well for other people is a fun challenge.

I hone for free and ask for honest and critical feedback from everyone I do it for. Some give it, some don't. I know what my face likes but making sure that you hone well for other people is a fun challenge.
I have gotten good feedback, when doing free honing, on what I now know weren't my best edges. I find a critique from someone who hones more valuable, and people who know honing are not likely to respond to free honing PIFs.
Just sayin'.

Note to self; send any future wedges people ask me to hone to Jeremy.

Top Bottom