What's new

Hone Grit Size?

Either way, I've been grinding away on my Spyderco UF, thinking it was 2K grit....but if it is actually 12K, well now I'm going to have to see how it does as a finishing hone.
John P.

moses said:
I miss grits. I love grits. I live in NYC. People here don't even know what grits are. :mad:

Size depends on the type of grit. your basic storebought grit is fairly small, and very uniform in size. Stone ground grits tend to be a little larger, with much more variation in size, creating a more interesting texture when eaten.

Frankly I would stay away from those grits you're talking about. Never heard of grits from Spyderco, but extra fine isn't a good thing, unless your in a blasted hurry to cook them, and synthetic grits?!?!?! bleh.

That sounds like a great idea. I think I'll go make some. Yeah, Moses, they might ask you, "what's a grit?" Although I think I have my Yankee in-laws convinced that grits are good! :biggrin:

But to stay on post, I assume you need a VERY fine grit stone to hone a straight. I have been thinking about getting one (EDIT: A straight, that is) , and will monitor this end of the forum for news on how to hone and with what stones/strops. Thanks all for the great info.

When my father started teaching in the sixties, he worked with a slightly older prof who was from NYC. This gentleman and his wife had only very recently moved away from the cold North, and he was not yet familiar with the legendary food of the South. He and my father, and their wives, went to a conference in Georgia. The first day there, they breakfasted at an establishment call Pitty Pat's Porch. The Yankee ordered something, I really don't know what, it doesn't matter. Say eggs and bacon. Much to his surprise, when it came out, there was a bowl of something white and goopy with it. Now this was especially a surprise, because the menu did not mention anything else coming with the eggs and bacon. It was like the toast, it just showed up. Not being from the more blessed part of the country, he did not realize this was normal. The Yankee, being a yankee, says to the young woman serving them: "I didn't order that - What in the hell is that stuff?"

The response, in an ice-cold voice not to be questioned: "Georgia ice cream. EAT IT."

moses said:
When my father started teaching in the sixties, he worked with a slightly older prof who was from NYC. This gentleman and his wife had only very recently moved away from the cold North, and he was not yet familiar with the legendary food of the South. He and my father, and their wives, went to a conference in Georgia. The first day there, they breakfasted at an establishment call Pitty Pat's Porch. The Yankee ordered something, I really don't know what, it doesn't matter. Say eggs and bacon. Much to his surprise, when it came out, there was a bowl of something white and goopy with it. Now this was especially a surprise, because the menu did not mention anything else coming with the eggs and bacon. It was like the toast, it just showed up. Not being from the more blessed part of the country, he did not realize this was normal. The Yankee, being a yankee, says to the young woman serving them: "I didn't order that - What in the hell is that stuff?"

The response, in an ice-cold voice not to be questioned: "Georgia ice cream. EAT IT."

:lol: And they're not Cream of Wheat...or oatmeal...you don't put sugar, brown sugar, or any fruit mess on them....butter and salt. Jus' eat yor grits like God intended! (although I suppose in some quarters, cheese grits are acceptable, but I'm not a fan!)

There's no equivalent grit for Spyderco hones mainly b/c, it's not grit. It's fused ruby like particles, that's been baked. The underlying particles then "melt" into the surface.
I can tell you, the UFs (in the black box) are REALLY REALLY fine

I just thought it was worthwhile to bump this thread for a few reasons. The grit v grit dialogue is pure humor IMO. Seriously though, I recently picked up a Spyderco Ultra Fine Stone and I have to agree that it is more of a finishing / polishing surface than the 8K side of my Norton. I have now used it on all the razors in my rotation and I am very, very pleased with the results. It is nice to be able to use it dry and it does a super job. It really takes the blades to the next level after the 8K.

I am on Tony Miller's waiting list for a Thurigen but I think most folks that hone their own will tell you, a good surface is well worth the investment and like everything else, you can't have too many. The link to the Spyderco stone on their website is earlier in this thread, but I found it $30 cheaper here, http://www.knifecenter.com/kc_new/store_detail.html?s=SP302UF . This place also has shaving gear as well which helps if you don't like ordering just one thing.

-Scott

:lol: And they're not Cream of Wheat...or oatmeal...you don't put sugar, brown sugar, or any fruit mess on them....butter and salt. Jus' eat yor grits like God intended! (although I suppose in some quarters, cheese grits are acceptable, but I'm not a fan!)

+1
I grew up with grits and they are definitely not the same as all that other stuff. I don't mind cheese grits, but just butter& salt usually does the trick. Pepper, bacon bits, whatever else...is just topping.
I find I (usually) like the grits served at Denny's, even out here in California...however once in awhile they really mess them up, and they come out with brown sugar and cinnamon already sprinkled on them. YUCK. If I wanted cream of wheat, I would have ordered it. The waitress insisted that that was how they were supposed to be eaten....I don't know. Not where I grew up. I also grew up where tea was brewed with sugar in it, and drank cold....no need to add anything to your glass...

Reading this has me wanting to dig out my Spyderco hone again. I found the black case to it, (302UF) and I've recently renewed my interest in straights, and, therefore....hones.
Will this sickness never end?

(I never did find out what a "Fernslers' Ruby" hone was...)
John P.

Now that I have purchased a straight, I am inclined to be a little more "serious" in looking for a hone. :biggrin: And while I still love grits, I am a little curious. I am thinking of getting a Norton waterstone 4000/8000. Tony Miller mentioned that you can go from that to a hanging strop and do okay, but also mentioned that I might want a pasted/paddle strop for an "in-between" strop. For a really great edge, do I need finer than the 8K?

I don't think so, but some like it.
Nothing wrong with something if it works. Try the Norton straight to leather, and if it still isn't what you like, give the paste a shot, we all have our peculiarities in this game...
John P.

For a really great edge, do I need finer than the 8K?

Not really. But ironically this becomes more true with experience. When you're just starting out it's tricky getting a great edge off the 8k. Getting a good edge is eminently doable, but getting a great edge requires a bit of extra finesse.

Now that I have purchased a straight, I am inclined to be a little more "serious" in looking for a hone. :biggrin: And while I still love grits, I am a little curious. I am thinking of getting a Norton waterstone 4000/8000. Tony Miller mentioned that you can go from that to a hanging strop and do okay, but also mentioned that I might want a pasted/paddle strop for an "in-between" strop. For a really great edge, do I need finer than the 8K?

I would get the 4k/8k and learn to hone on that first. Getting a finishing hone at this point brings more variables into the mix and it get's complicated. You will be able to shave with a razor finished on 8k and then you can decide if you need a finer hone. I find razors finished on 8k to cause me some irritation and so I finish them on a finer "finishing" stone.

-----Michael

Top Bottom