What's new

Homemade sauerkraut

Here is my first effort. I thought it would be fun to document the process and the results over time.

5 lbs of cabbage sliced, 3 tablespoons salt and some red pepper-

Pack it in well, especially the first few layers-

Continue packing and salting as you go-

Use a combination of plates to act a s a press-

Add weight-

Now lets wait for sauerkraut!

Last edited by a moderator:

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
This reminds me of my early youth! We always made sauerkraut ourselves, actually, my mother did. We had huge, heavy stone ware containers, size of about a 5-6 gal pail. Still have a couple here in my house, they are from the early thirties, if not older.
The kraut was packed and salted, then on the top was a piece of round wood, cut into halves, which was weighed down with a huge cobble stone, I guess this beast weighed nearly 25-30 lbs. This stone and the wood disc were in our family for generations. The best krauts I ever had were always home made!!

I've been wanting to do this for a while. Is it possible/worth it to make a small batch to see if I'd like the taste?

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Jim, this looks like the perfect excuse to make a Reuben!

A huge +1 to that idea. I've been watching the equipment that Jim has purchased over the last year or so. I'm waiting for him to start working on the meat part of that Reuben.

The corned beef is easier than the kraut! ;)

Refridgerator cured cabbage is a tasty treat too. The cabbage stays crisp but brings on the saurkraut flavor.

Only thing I worry about with Jim's setup is the amount of salt. It seems like a low amount to me but that is probably just me.

II have 4 pounds of cabbage I put up in a 5 liter Harsch Pickling Crock two weeks ago. I looked last Sunday it smelled right. Steady as she goes, Mr. Zulu!

http://www.wisementrading.com/foodpreserving/harsch_crocks.htm

Those look great! Of course I will have to get one!

This reminds me of my early youth! We always made sauerkraut ourselves, actually, my mother did. We had huge, heavy stone ware containers, size of about a 5-6 gal pail. Still have a couple here in my house, they are from the early thirties, if not older.
The kraut was packed and salted, then on the top was a piece of round wood, cut into halves, which was weighed down with a huge cobble stone, I guess this beast weighed nearly 25-30 lbs. This stone and the wood disc were in our family for generations. The best krauts I ever had were always home made!!

Why does this not surprise me Rudy! I will make sure you get a taste if it does not kill me.

I've been wanting to do this for a while. Is it possible/worth it to make a small batch to see if I'd like the taste?

That's what my plan is!

The corned beef is easier than the kraut! ;)

Really easy- I will be making one for the 17th.

Refridgerator cured cabbage is a tasty treat too. The cabbage stays crisp but brings on the saurkraut flavor.

Only thing I worry about with Jim's setup is the amount of salt. It seems like a low amount to me but that is probably just me.

How much salt would you recommend? I used a recipe I found on line.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
I did those in the past (Yeah, I got something for Cabbage...) and they are fantastic... There's a local butcher here that makes sauerkraut with ham and juniper berries in it, it's fantastic.

When you are ready to use, I always prepare mine with a drop of white wine or beer and a small potato that I grate in the mixture. Heat up the whole thing until most of the liquid evaporated but not all of it (dry sauerkraut isn't good)!

I'd be curious to see your next steps. About 1 week before you try it, give this a go: http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/137841-Onion-Article-about-internet-obsessions-forums

I was shown to do it by look and I usually do a case (12 heads) at a time. We would cover all strips lightly with salt and just toss together until its coated. I swear we went through nine pounds of salt or more. Yours may ferment more and get more lactic acid going by using less salt.

Today the brine is up to the plate, so something is happening at least, a couple of bubbles were visible.

Well things are pretty much the same, a very slight yeast smell is all I can report.

I'll race you Jim - I started some preserved lemons yesterday. I've been looking at those Harsch fermentation crocks too. They look really quite nice.

I'll race you Jim - I started some preserved lemons yesterday. I've been looking at those Harsch fermentation crocks too. They look really quite nice.

It cant be a race if we both win! :drool:

Jason to be honest I have no idea! This is my first rodeo.

It's day 15 here. I took a peek inside the Harsch 5L i bought with basic sauerkraut for my first attempt. I am happy to report no slime after two weeks. Since I do a lot of baking, I wouldn't say yeasty but some micro organisms are in there doing something. Yeasty to me has a alcohol bass note.

From the sauerkraut wiki:
Fermentation by lactobacilli is introduced naturally, as these air-borne bacteria culture on raw cabbage leaves where they grow. Yeasts also are present, and may yield soft sauerkraut of poor flavor when the fermentation temperature is too high.

Last edited:
What is too high I am at 65 degrees or so.

I think that's right in the sweet spot. I'm at 80 here. The top of the range I saw was 75. So, I'm waiting to see. I live on the beach in south Florida so it's not easy to get 65 here.

Top Bottom