What's new

Homemade Pepper sauce

Ginger sounds like reasonable addition. I was thinking about some black peppercorns, but was afraid they would tend to pour out onto things I did not want whole peppercorns to be on. Coarse ground pepper might be better.

Hot pepper is supposed to be healthful, too, right? Lowers blood pressure or something.

Sounds like you are going through quite a bit.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
Anyone else out there have this kind of problem with certain spicy foods, but not others?

Jalapenos certainly give me some GI distress. I can eat about the equivalent of one (maybe a little more), but any more than that will add to my morning routine, so to speak. A good deal more than that can make the morning rather unpleasant. That really stinks, too, because I love the flavor of jalapenos.

I've not noticed the effect from other chiles.

Jalapenos certainly give me some GI distress. I can eat about the equivalent of one (maybe a little more), but any more than that will add to my morning routine, so to speak. A good deal more than that can make the morning rather unpleasant. That really stinks, too, because I love the flavor of jalapenos.

Jalapenos do have a great flavor! You might try carving out the white portions of the peppers. I hear it helps, but don't know as I handle the things fine.

Interesting that you and I both seem to be affected by particular items and not others.

One of the grocery store fried chickens that gave me trouble listed "capsaicin oil" as an ingredient and I thought that might be the problem, but I would not be surprised they make capsaicin oil out of all kinds of peppers. Oddly, I do not remember having a problem with Thai food, even authentic stuff that would basically set one on fire.

Yes, add to the morning routine. Actually for me it is more like make for a 3 am emergency!

I just did a tour around the internet looking for information on why some spicy hot food--specifically certain types of hot peppers--would give certain people diarrhea, while other spicy food did not have that effect. I found lots on how spicy food in general can cause diarrhea, citing capsaicin as the culprit, which is assume is in all spicy peppers--maybe there are different kinds, but, surprisingly, I found bupkis on certain peppers causing certain people problems, but other equally hot or hotter peppers not.

I guess it is just me and TexLaw then! :) I am not going to stop using this peppa sauce. I have stopped buying Popeyes spicy. I will monitor to see if my body adapts. A little suffering is worth it!

Maybe I will create a batches of peppa sauce with different types of peppers and see how that goes.

Also, there is quite a bit out there on hot peppers being good for one. (Not medical advice, of course. I do not think nutrition is necessarily medicine, but the mods should feel free to strike anything they think is medical advice in my posts. I sure agree with the policy.)

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I guess it is just me and TexLaw then!

I have some other friends that have the same issue. We've talked about it some and done a little research, but none of us have been able to figure it out.

So, rejoice! (perhaps?) We aren't alone!

I have some other friends that have the same issue. We've talked about it some and done a little research, but none of us have been able to figure it out.

So, rejoice! (perhaps?) We aren't alone!
Always nice to be in good company! I wonder why there seems to be nothing easily findable online about this!

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
Anyone do this take Hot Chile pepper (dried or fresh)add vinegar ( I use white ).Then use this for their hot sauce.

Yup. In Jamaica it's called "Pique." I make mine with cider vinegar. Usually we make about three litres every year with homegrown peppers: Long Slim Cayennes, Carolina Reapers, Jalapeno and some garlic. It's a handy way of pickling the peppers, which I will pick out and use all winter long for making chilaquiles on Saturday mornings.

O.H.

Anyone do this take Hot Chile pepper (dried or fresh)add vinegar ( I use white ).Then use this for their hot sauce.
My dad used to use a store bought version of it. I never cared for vinegar so . . .

It is what I think of when someone says pepper sauce though.

Mines doing good. About three weeks since I made it. I just gave one bottle to a friend. I used regular white vinegar and will be topping it off when emptied.
I put some on my breakfast this morning.
it doesn’t seem to affect my stomach, nor does most spicy stuff. Occasional heartburn if I overdo it.

Top Bottom