What's new

Homemade Pepper sauce

Ad Astra

The Instigator
It's popular in the South.

Have seen bottled peppers even refilled with vinegar as its used. They fade to white!

AA

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
Anyone do this take Hot Chile pepper (dried or fresh)add vinegar ( I use white ).Then use this for their hot sauce.

All the time. I use a bunch of pepper flakes, some crushed or coarsely ground black peppercorns, a little salt, and maybe a little bit of sugar. Let it sit for a couple days.

Any good pepper flakes will do. Store bought works, or whiz up a dried chile or two (or a bunch of the tiny ones).

Have seen bottled peppers even refilled with vinegar as its used. They fade to white!

I always have that handy at home. Just keep refilling the bottle, and replace the bottle when the peppers lose their bite. It can last for months or longer.

Growing up always had apple cider vinegar in which fresh hot peppers were steeped as a dressing for hot greens. Wonderful stuff. Definitely Southern.

These days always have Red Pickled Tabasco Peppers from Tropical Pepper Company around. It comes in a regular hot sauce type bottle. You shake out the saturated white vinegar as the sauce, and when you used up all the vinegar you just add more. Fairly mild, really, unlike what we had growing up.

I miss you Mom and Dad!

It's fairly common in the South. Folks who like to grow their own peppers will pickle them in mason jars. Usually used as an ingredient to spice up other foods, like a relish.

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
My Tabascos are struggling this year. Jalapenos doing well. Cowhorns are starting off well. Bells, red, green and yellow starting off well.

Pepper sauce on chicken fried steak or fried pork chops is a requirement here.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
It seems to my memory the peppers in the bottle were whole - and they'd fade to white!

Wouldn't it bite harder to have sliced these, or chop into rings? (whole pepper but put a slice in the side for flow-through)

And does the bottle-contents need to be boiled, or just add vinegar and peppers? (just heat vinegar, don't boil)

Can get olive-oil pourer-bottles at Walmart or dollar store.

AA

EDIT: the comments have a ton of info

Last edited:
...Wouldn't it bite harder to have sliced these, or chop into rings?

And does the bottle-contents need to be boiled, or just add vinegar and peppers?

Can get olive-oil pourer-bottles at Walmart or dollar store...
Either whole or sliced can work. The heat is mostly in the seeds. The jars and lids must be sterilized and the vinegar must have a certain minimum level of acidity. The peppers have to be thoroughly washed. Once a sealed jar is opened, it should go in the refrigerator until finished.

Be sure you follow a tested recipe, you don't want to risk botulism, etc.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Either whole or sliced can work. The heat is mostly in the seeds. The jars and lids must be sterilized and the vinegar must have a certain minimum level of acidity. The peppers have to be thoroughly washed. Once a sealed jar is opened, it should go in the refrigerator until finished.

Be sure you follow a tested recipe, you don't want to risk botulism, etc.

Well, that's canning, I think. As opposed to the "peppa sauce."

AA

Growing up we just used what looks like an "Anchor Hocking Presence Glass Cruet" to hold the hot pepper and vinegar. I do not think we ever called it "pepper sauce." Never put anything in the vinegar other than peppers, generally sliced up and not too, too many pieces. It was plenty hot. Never heated the vinegar. Never kept it in the fridge. Never seemd to grow mold or otherwise go back.

Same for the Red Pickled Tabasco Peppers from Tropical Pepper Co. Although at this point the peppers are so broken down I have no idea whether they started out as whole or sliced. They are very white at this point.

If you can stand the heat (I cannot), you can grow your own hot peppers and pick them at the peak of perfection/hotness. There are many unusual varieties that are difficult to find at your local grocery.

1591742930325.png

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
And does the bottle-contents need to be boiled, or just add vinegar and peppers? (just heat vinegar, don't boil)

Frankly, I'd can any that I didn't want to refrigerate. It's not hard to do, and you know you're good to go.

Botulism does not grow at a pH below 4.6. Most vinegars have a pH around 2.5 or 3 at 5% acidity (although apple cider vinegar can get up to 3.5). You'd think that you would be fine, but the water in the peppers can dilute the vinegar, thus raising the pH. Again, you'd think that you still would be fine, but the fact is that you don't know unless you keep checking the pH. That's more hassle than it's worth and still not particularly reliable.

Keep in mind that a low pH only inhibits growth. It does not kill. You need heat to kill.

As for boiling, you have to get the -internal- temperature to 185F for 5 minutes. By the time you've done that and sterilized your containers, you may as well take the extra step and do a proper canning.

Top Bottom