What's new

Homemade beard oil

The castor oil is what is giving you the thickness. It is slow to absorb into hair and skin. Argan is a fantastic conditioner for hair and skion and can often be found as a "stand-alone" leave-in conditioner.

I would reduce the castor oil content, as it doesn't have nearly the nutritional benefits of the argan, and also is slower to absorb...

Just my humble opinion...

Would replacing the castor oil with Avocado Oil be a healthy alternative? I know that the Avocado is just as thick if not thicker than castor oil but I also know that it is much more beneficial for the skin and hair

Would replacing the castor oil with Avocado Oil be a healthy alternative? I know that the Avocado is just as thick if not thicker than castor oil but I also know that it is much more beneficial for the skin and hair
Hemp oil is my preferance. Equally good for the hair and skin, MUCH thinner, and absorbs much more readily...

I've been only using jojoba oil in the morning after my shower. I'm kind of liking the idea of the idea of not having a lot of scents during the day. Although, I've thought about trying coconut oil in the evening with a little lavender, patchouli, Cedar, and/or sandalwood. Looking for more relaxing scents while I read before going to bed.

So I've seen melatonin liquid at Walmart and was curious what effect this might have in a beard oil. My first idea was to make a "sleep" beard oil with lavender because on week nights I shower in the evening after work. I've read that melatonin promotes hair growth but I would be more curious if it would help you fall asleep by absorbing into your skin.

ok, so super interested in this....
firstly i picked up some Sweet Almond Oil, (prunus amygdalus dulcis), this can be used as a carrier oil on it's own, right?
or should i combine with jojoba? and some scents?

is lemongrass phytotoxic too? as anything with this in leaves a very rancid smell on my poor beard!

ok, so super interested in this....
firstly i picked up some Sweet Almond Oil, (prunus amygdalus dulcis), this can be used as a carrier oil on it's own, right?
or should i combine with jojoba? and some scents?

is lemongrass phytotoxic too? as anything with this in leaves a very rancid smell on my poor beard!

Yes you can use sweet almond by itself and add scents. Mixing carriers will give the benefits of each. Have fun! Mixing is great hobby and saves money. More for initial start but cheaper in the long run

Yes you can use sweet almond by itself and add scents. Mixing carriers will give the benefits of each. Have fun! Mixing is great hobby and saves money. More for initial start but cheaper in the long run

awesome! thank you, what other carrier oils work well with Almond Oil?
also, what parts-per-part should be used?

awesome! thank you, what other carrier oils work well with Almond Oil?
also, what parts-per-part should be used?

With the sweet almond I use grapeseed, avocado, jojoba, Argan, and a little vitamin e oil. Grapeseed is thinner (also cheapest) so I use more of that than anything else. Avocado is thicker so I use less of it.

Thinking of making some beard oil for some friends, as I don't have a beard. Was looking at doing 50:50 Argan Oil, Jojoba Oil for the carrier.
Fragrance wise was thinking of doing two-three types
1) Menthol Crystals, Eucalyptus
2) Vanilla EO, Tobacco Absolute,
3) Whiskey FO with maybe some vanilla and a hint of tobacco depending on the quality of the FO

Any thoughts, comments, before I purchase all this stuff, anything I am missing?

Thinking of making some beard oil for some friends, as I don't have a beard. Was looking at doing 50:50 Argan Oil, Jojoba Oil for the carrier.
Fragrance wise was thinking of doing two-three types
1) Menthol Crystals, Eucalyptus
2) Vanilla EO, Tobacco Absolute,
3) Whiskey FO with maybe some vanilla and a hint of tobacco depending on the quality of the FO

Any thoughts, comments, before I purchase all this stuff, anything I am missing?

I'm not so sure on the menthol crystal/eucalyptus part for a beard oil, but the other two sound like nice options for sure.

Similar formulation as the Proraso beard oil. Which I know my mates like.

I have the Proraso beard oil, and I don't get any menthol from it. I just went and sniffed it, and it has I guess a tiny hint of menthol, and I can get the eucalyptus in there, but I think the main or competing scent in it is like cedar or something.. but yeah, start out with the plan and adapt from there as needed. :)

I have the Proraso beard oil, and I don't get any menthol from it. I just went and sniffed it, and it has I guess a tiny hint of menthol, and I can get the eucalyptus in there, but I think the main or competing scent in it is like cedar or something.. but yeah, start out with the plan and adapt from there as needed. :)
Haven't sniffed it, it just says fragrance under ingredients. Figured menthol and eucalyptus would be fresh, and cooling.

Haven't sniffed it, it just says fragrance under ingredients. Figured menthol and eucalyptus would be fresh, and cooling.

I really can't see menthol crystals adding anything other than scent in a beard oil. It won't really get on the skin enough for it's cooling properties to go into effect.

I really can't see menthol crystals adding anything other than scent in a beard oil. It won't really get on the skin enough for it's cooling properties to go into effect.
Depends on the size of the beard I'd imagine. Talked to some friends and they recommended I add some citrus EO

Top Bottom