What's new

Homemade beard oil

So I haven't been on this forum in a long time because I've kept a short beard for the past year and haven't been shaving but I'm thinking of growing it out for a few months, maybe even grow a yeard. I've got about 2 or 3 weeks of growth right now (been trimming so not real sure).

I've been traveling the globe for the past few years so buying beard products isn't so easy. I'm currently in Guatemala and came across a store with a bunch of essential oils and natural bees waxes and want to make my own beard oil.

I bought a 4 oz bottle of jojoba oil which makes my beard feel soft and great but want to try adding a few light scents but I'm living on a budget so I want to stick to two or three scents and don't have the money to do a lot of experimenting.

I'm thinking of Cedar for sure (I like the idea of its antifungal properties) and I want to go for a light woodsy/earthy smell. Does anyone have any recommendations on one or two other oils I could mix in with it? I've read a lot online for different recipes but I'd like to hear of some of your favorites if you have experience making your own and I don't want to buy ten different oils and break the bank. Again, I want the scent to be pretty light, as if you'd have to be fairly close to me to get a whiff.

I'd like to hear opinions from both men and women on a good combo. Yes women too because they know what smell they like too.

Thanks!

Cedar often goes well with hints of orange/bergomot, sage, or patchouli. You can also lighten it up a bit instead with a bit of lavendar or some other light clean floral. I'd say the sage or the light floral would be the woodsy sort, with sage being more earthy.

Cedar often goes well with hints of orange/bergomot, sage, or patchouli. You can also lighten it up a bit instead with a bit of lavendar or some other light clean floral. I'd say the sage or the light floral would be the woodsy sort, with sage being more earthy.

I've thought about the orange too but I also like the idea of a lighter scent such as lavender to lighten it up a bit. I don't want to mix together too many strong scents and make it too heavy.

I found a few that had both in it, but they also added a few other things, it wasn't just those two, they were accented with like the aforementioned bay, myrrh, patchouli, and frankincense.

I'll have to check back at the store tomorrow to see if bay, myrrh, and patchouli is available. I think patchouli might be a little strong for what I'm looking for but it's been a while since I've smelled it. I'm not sure about what myrrh even smells like off hand.

I'll have to check back at the store tomorrow to see if bay, myrrh, and patchouli is available. I think patchouli might be a little strong for what I'm looking for but it's been a while since I've smelled it. I'm not sure about what myrrh even smells like off hand.

The biggest key is the ratio of the EO's as well. Patchouli maybe strong by itself, but if it's only a small drop in the blend while others are in stronger concentration, then it fades to the background. That is where the real artistry of blending scents comes into play.

www.Aromaweb.com It will give you a lot of really good, solid advice to mixing essential oils in the right quanitities, with the right carriers, and in the right "notes" to get a quality oil that works and smells wonderful...

The rosemary should go well with the cedar. Look up categories and notes of the essential oils. There are also dilution charts you can find to tell you how much essential oil to use based on how much carrier oil you are using. I've found alot of conflicting info about dilution ratios. I'm about to start making my own beard oils as well and I plan on starting out slow mixing my essentials together so as not to have one scent over power another or worse case scenario have the essentials irritate my skin.

So I haven't been on this forum in a long time because I've kept a short beard for the past year and haven't been shaving but I'm thinking of growing it out for a few months, maybe even grow a yeard. I've got about 2 or 3 weeks of growth right now (been trimming so not real sure).

I've been traveling the globe for the past few years so buying beard products isn't so easy. I'm currently in Guatemala and came across a store with a bunch of essential oils and natural bees waxes and want to make my own beard oil.

I bought a 4 oz bottle of jojoba oil which makes my beard feel soft and great but want to try adding a few light scents but I'm living on a budget so I want to stick to two or three scents and don't have the money to do a lot of experimenting.

I'm thinking of Cedar for sure (I like the idea of its antifungal properties) and I want to go for a light woodsy/earthy smell. Does anyone have any recommendations on one or two other oils I could mix in with it? I've read a lot online for different recipes but I'd like to hear of some of your favorites if you have experience making your own and I don't want to buy ten different oils and break the bank. Again, I want the scent to be pretty light, as if you'd have to be fairly close to me to get a whiff.

I'd like to hear opinions from both men and women on a good combo. Yes women too because they know what smell they like too.

Thanks!

Hey BoldShave!

This is my very first post, but let me suggest a mix of cedarwood and fir needle. You can even add a third, vanilla, to warm things up a bit!

I've been doing lots of research on some scents for beard oil so let me know how it works out for you and if you have any questions!

What kind of dilution are you using? What carrier oils are you using?
With the pre-shave and after shave I have made I used a 2% dilution which is about 12 drops per ounce. This seemed to work pretty well leaving a pretty distinct smell. I plan on doing to same when I make my beard oil here soon. My plan is for Jojoba and grapeseed with either castor or Avocado oil. I've read to use the thicker oils in smaller amounts so the castor or Avocado I will probably use 1/4 of the mix or less. These oils seem pretty common in beard oil blends.

Thanks @Shave_Rat and @BadDad , @BoldShave , Tony , and Everyone ! Like you're reading my mind ! I've been growing the Stache back out , and it's finally Full and Almost Fabulous , and in my mouth , hitting my bottom lip (holding off on trimming a bit longer) , but I've been wanting to get some Beard Oil , or thinking of making my own , using Virgin Olive Oil (sorry Pop Eye) to soften and condition feels nice , but I'd like a little sweet fragrant scent to sweeten the Cookie Duster . I enjoy cedar , fir , pine , citrus , sage , a little eucalyptus (clears the sinuses) , also . I could use a recipe , I'm sure they're available ... I'd just as soon do it myself and work on my perfect combo , a couple of drops will do it , I'm sure .

Last edited:
Sorry @PanHead , and
@
greffon , I left you off the list . Great Ideas and Combos ! Thanks ! I'm going to stay tuned and do some searches ... . I started to order some stuff from TheBeardBaron or BeardBrand this evening , but held off , I figured I could get three or four bottles of EOs , and the caster oil , jojoba oil , grape seed oil , plus another maybe for bases , and have the components to last years , and tweak it like I want it . I thought of adding Ogallala Bay Rum , Limes & Peppercorns , or Sage & Cedar to the Olive Oil , but I think I need something else , like Jojoba , and/or caster oil , and more . I heard Great Things about Fir and Cedarwood EO ! Bergamot , and Sage with Cedar sounds Great to me , if I could get it right .

Last edited:
Well , I broke down and bought some to try from a Shop on Etsy , I ordered "Bee A Man" scent , but gave her the option after letting her know my likes , to send a different scent , maybe her "Woodsy Woods" ?

proxy.php
Yeshua's Devash Bee A Man Beard Oil 2 oz. Scent Options, Woodsy, Nourishing Beard Oil, Organic
Scent: Bee A Man
Shop: YeshuasDevash

After the last post , I did take a couple of drops of Ogallala Bay Rum , Limes & Peppercorns and a drop or two of Extra Virgin Olive Oil , mixed it on my fingers and rubbed it through the Stache , it did Great ! Smells Wonderful , too ! WINNER !

Be careful using bergamot in a beard oil. It is phototoxic, and can cause some pretty bad reactions with the skin if it is exposed to the sun before it dries or is absorbed...

Just a warning...if you use it in a beard oil, let it absorb fully before you leave the house. I've never had a reaction, but I have a friend that has...

My first beard oil recipe is as follows for one ounce. 1/4 of each carrier- castor, grapeseed, jojoba, argan. 4 drps of each pine,rosemary, and clove. This makes a 2% dilution. The scent is a little bitter and the clove is the dominating scent. I personally do not mind the smell of clove because I used to smoke clove cigarettes regularly. I have handed this out to a couple coworkers and they didn't seem to mind the smell either. I have not used any other beard oils so I really don't have a frame of reference for consistency or smell, but I thought that this recipe was a pretty good first try. I thought that it went on a little thick or greasy but it quickly absorbed and I have noticed a considerable difference in the softness of my facial hair. For my next batch I am considering backing off on the glove and adding some orange to diversify the scent since pine rosemary and clove are all very similar smells. I'm also thinking about maybe using more grapeseed and eliminating the Argan to see if that make the consistency a little thinner.

Top Bottom