What's new

Homemade Bay Rum Aftershave

U

UncleSticky

Order some essential oil of Bay from some place like Camden Grey or Snowdrift Farms, then you don't need the leaves. The reason it seems to have "rum" in it is because they used to extract the oils from the bay leaves using rum. I don't think it really has rum in it anymore despite the recipies on line to the contrary. I am trying to perfect a Bay Rum aftershave myself... found the following list of ingredients @ Burts Bees to get an idea of the types of oils used in their formula. the stuff like rosemary extract is more for preventing the oils from becoming rancid in the mixture. In addition to their toning effects, alcohol or witch hazel also has an emulsifying effect so the water and oil will blend. I'll let everyone know how the first attempt comes out in a few days. Obviously I am not using EVERYTHING that BB uses in thiers... for instance, I plan to substitute eucalyptus mint oil for the menthol and will probably switch cinnamon for allspice since cinnamon can be a skin irritant.

water, alcohol denat., glycerin, avena sativa (oat) kernel protein, hamamelis virginiana (witch hazel) water, tocopheryl acetate, menthol, xanthan gum, chamomilla recutita (matricaria) flower extract, rosmarinus officinalis (rosemary) extract, ascorbic acid, citric acid, pimenta acris (bay) leaf oil, citrus aurantium dulcis (orange) peel oil, citrus medica limonum (lemon) peel oil, cinnamomum cassia (cinnamon) leaf oil, abies sibirica (fir needle) oil, lavandula hybrida (lavandin) oil, juniperus mexicana (cedarwood) oil, pogostemon cablin (patchouli) oil, eugenia caryophyllus (clove) flower oil, salvia officinalis (sage) oil

E

eventyrer

Why buy the EO of the plant? In that case, why not just buy the bloody bottle of aftershave? Like those that would rather make their own beer than buy Budweiser (or even a local micro brew), these enthusiasts shun capitalism in its current form (okay, with that statement, I might be putting words in their mouths :). I applaud all of you that want to experiment with this. This is the next step in the revolution of traditional wet shaving, and traditional manliness... there I go again.
MY POINT:
There are Bay Rum trees for sale on EBAY for god's sake. check this out:
http://cgi.ebay.com/BAY-RUM-TREE-Pimenta-racemosa-Cologne-Scent-Plant-SP-/130378935808
And if you live in northern climates like I do--in Minnesota--where the hardiness of the Pimenta Racemosa will not survive below 25 degrees Fahrenheit, then grown it indoors like any other tropical plant that you grow inside. It doesn't get THAT big. At IKEA, we sell plants that get much bigger than the bay tree. I've heard it's one of the poisonous plants in the family, except for the allspice berry that it produces (at lease, I've read that the allspice berry comes from this plant, or a related plant) so make sure the dog or cat or kids don't want to eat the tree. In doing this you'll break the chain of globalization and be self-sufficient. Afterwards, you can start growing a peace garden.

P.S.: that ebay sight I put up isn't my listing, and I have balls to do with that seller. Find a different seller on ebay if you don't believe me; that was just the first one that I found.
P.S.S. make sure this plant isn't going to become an invasive species in your area. I work with a local organization to rid the Mississippi river gorge of invasive species such as buck-thorn and raspberry bushes, among others, and restore it to the traditional floodplains, oak savannas, and prairie lands that existed there before. It's tough work.
P.S.S.S I'm not some ******* hippie that hates all corporations and wants to hug trees all day; I also like guns and stuff, too, and am all for establishing a male-identity such as those attributes found on the art of manliness blog.
At the end of this experiment, you may find you like having a plant in your apt\house, and decide to start growing some herbs, too. I like plants with a purpose.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is among the many that i have found: It seems real easy. Also I had read somewhere you could add a few drops of gylcerin when the mix is finished.

4 Ounces Vodka
2 Tablespoons Jamaican Rum
2 Dried Bay Leaves
1/4 Teaspoon Allspice
1 Stick of Cinnamon, broken in pieces
Fresh Zest from a Small Orange

Combine all ingredients in a container such as a bottle or mason jar with a tightly fitting lid. Put the closed container in a dark, cool place (not in the refrigerator). After two weeks, strain mixture through several layers of cheesecloth, paper towels or a coffee filter. If necessary, repeat until no residue remains. Put in an attractive bottle or atomizer and splash on or spray face after shaving.

I just mixed this recipe up about 10 minutes ago. We will see how it turns out. I used Bay Rum EO instead of the leaves though.

I came late to this thread, but I see that eventyrer has found the bay tree(s) for sale on eBay. Mine was reportedly shipped today, April 28, so we'll see what happens. I still have to find sources of some of the other ingredients. Don't expect a finished bay rum for a few weeks, I think.

4 Ounces Ever Clear
10 drops Bay Rum EO
Fresh Zest from two limes - use more if you want it more limey
8 drops Sandalwood EO
1 oz Witch Hazel

I used this for my last batch and it is my Favorite so far. My skin loves it. Thanks for this post.

Just to clarify something about these recipies, when you refer to 'ounces' are you saying fluid ounces as in volume or regular ounces as in weight?

4 Ounces Ever Clear
10 drops Bay Rum EO
8 drops Sandalwood EO
1 oz Witch Hazel

I used this for my last batch and it is my Favorite so far. My skin loves it. Thanks for this post.

Just made a batch similar to this but I used some allspice berries and black peppercorns coarsely ground and no sandalwood EO (didn't have any on hand). Gonna let it sit for a couple weeks to pull anything out of the pepper, allspice, lime zest and cinnamon that it can... Really curious to see how it turns out. I use Ogallala Bay Rum AS and love it, this is too limey for that but I would love to find a recipe that matches theirs; maybe the one on the art of manliness' site is similar...

By the way, did you feel like the 10 drops pimenta racemosa EO was sufficient?

Yeah, I know it's a couple months old; that's alright!

I am kind of lazy, don't want to spend the money on bay rum oil, and can't bring myself to waste a drop of good rum on my body when it could be happily be mingling with a coke and lime in my stomach:tongue_sm.
I love me some Superior 70 bay rum. It is cheap ($2 a bottle), easily available and has a good clean bay Rum scent that I am not sure can be beat commercially or home made. Still, sometimes I want something a little more complex, spicier like my Pinaud Virgin Island bay rum but with some of my other favorite scents mixed in.
I plan on starting out with a bottle of Superior 70 as my base, and adding essence of Lime, a stick o' cinamin, a heaping tablespoon of orange zest, a few drops of clove oil, eye of newt and tongue of bat to see if my new hellbrew has become the ULTIMATE panty dropper love potion ever created.

This is among the many that i have found: It seems real easy. Also I had read somewhere you could add a few drops of gylcerin when the mix is finished.

4 Ounces Vodka
2 Dried Bay Leaves
1/4 Teaspoon Allspice
Fresh Zest from a Small Orange

Combine all ingredients in a container such as a bottle or mason jar with a tightly fitting lid. Put the closed container in a dark, cool place (not in the refrigerator). After two weeks, strain mixture through several layers of cheesecloth, paper towels or a coffee filter. If necessary, repeat until no residue remains. Put in an attractive bottle or atomizer and splash on or spray face after shaving.
Your making me thirsty

Thats all I would need, to show up at the Office smelling like I hit the bottle before stepping in.
This stuff sounds scary, but interesting.

Hi,

I'm new here and not sure how to do this, I hope this link works.

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=165887

This is what you're looking for, it consistently provides outstanding results.

Scroll down until you come to my post, and the recipe is there.

For your recipe are you using pimenta racemosa leaves or bay leaves from the store? I had wondered about cloves... I don't drink but I think I have a bottle of bacardi puerto rican rum (the clear kind, "superior" or something I think), what's the difference between that and dark jamaican rum? I don't know if its molasses that gives dark rum its color or what, I just know I have some clear rum on hand so why buy more if it gives similar results!

Has anybody else used black pepper in their bay rum? Sounded interesting...

4 Ounces Ever Clear
10 drops Bay Rum EO
8 drops Sandalwood EO
1 oz Witch Hazel

Right-on brutha! I've been wanting try to make my own Bay Rum AS and I was thinking pure grain alcohol would be the way to go.

Also, anyone tried using a touch of Orange and Lavender extract? What about a little Eucalyptus?

I wonder if you could use bayberry (myrica pensylvanica) leaves in place of the laurel leaves. They smell similar to real (cooking-type) bay leaves and can be used as a food flavoring as well. Where I live, we're lousy with them, just head to the beach and start picking leaves.

I'm gonna mix up some Bay Rum this weekend. Tho i plan to cheet a lil bit.
Gonna start with about half the bottle of Master's Bay Rum, throw in a cinnamon stick, add a lil cap'n morgan and rubbin' alcohol, coconut pulp, and orange zest...see how that mixes up....and if all goes well I will have developed the ultimate panty dropper....ah ah ah....

I use myers dark rum and witch hazel as the base, 3 to 1 with witch hazel being the more dominant part, then mix whatever EO's you want.

Top Bottom