What's new

Homemade Bay Rum Aftershave

Does anyone see a problem with using a pinch of pipe tobacco in this first recipe mentioned? On the artofmanliness.com forum, one warned of the poisonous nature of the nicotine in the tobacco. Having used tobacco for most of my life, I didn't feel the consequences from a little topical application one year removed from using tobacco daily would be disastrous. Any thing I'm overlooking here?(attention any chemists in the house!)

This is among the many that i have found: It seems real easy. Also I had read somewhere you could add a few drops of gylcerin when the mix is finished.

4 Ounces Vodka
2 Tablespoons Jamaican Rum
2 Dried Bay Leaves
1/4 Teaspoon Allspice
1 Stick of Cinnamon, broken in pieces
Fresh Zest from a Small Orange

Combine all ingredients in a container such as a bottle or mason jar with a tightly fitting lid. Put the closed container in a dark, cool place (not in the refrigerator). After two weeks, strain mixture through several layers of cheesecloth, paper towels or a coffee filter. If necessary, repeat until no residue remains. Put in an attractive bottle or atomizer and splash on or spray face after shaving.

4 Ounces Ever Clear
10 drops Bay Rum EO
Fresh Zest from two limes - use more if you want it more limey
8 drops Sandalwood EO
1 oz Witch Hazel

I used this for my last batch and it is my Favorite so far. My skin loves it. Thanks for this post.

I tried this one less the sandalwood and witch hazel (as I didn't have any sandalwood EO and didn't want to dillute the sting) and think it smells better than the origianl concoction with vodka, orange zest, and my added touch of clove and pipe tobacco. It definately has a more refined (read modern) smell that only leaves slight traces of cinammon and lime after a half hour or so. I'm definately making some batches for family!

I've been researching homemade aftershaves for a couple months now (finally ordered my EO's) but from what I've been reading, essential oils are the way to go vs. raw ingredients. You will get a better overall sent that last much longer than when raw products are used. I can't say how true this is, but soon I'll find out when all my stuff arrives! It's probably gonna end up being another addictive hobby lol.

My recipe is simple. To an empty 8 ounce bottle, add one sample bottle of spiced rum (2 oz?); add enough witch hazel to fill the bottle. Add a pinch of menthol crystals, which have been crushed into a fine powder. Shake well and let the alcohol dissolve the crystals.
It leaves a refreshing feeling and you can add your favorite cologne later because the clean scent dissipates. Or add your favorite scent to it. This is the fun of making your own quality AS.

Hello...

Thread is old but hope someone will read this.
The recipe says:
2 Dried Bay Leaves (Don’t use the bay leaf they sell at the grocery store. While it’s good for soups, it’s not good for bay rum. Make sure to use Pimenta racemosa, sometimes available at natural food stores)
Why it is no good?

4 Ounces Ever Clear
10 drops Bay Rum EO
Fresh Zest from two limes - use more if you want it more limey
8 drops Sandalwood EO
1 oz Witch Hazel

I used this for my last batch and it is my Favorite so far. My skin loves it. Thanks for this post.

Yes, I am reviving a dead thread, but only to say that I made some of this up a few weeks ago. I made two batches which ended up to be 10oz exactly. This morning I filtered it and poured it into my bottles, then I splashed a bit on my face and I have to say, it really turned out excellent. It is a nice light smell that carries the lime very well. My wife approves and thought it was a very nice, clean scent. I'm keeping one 2oz bottle for myself and giving the other four bottles to family for Christmas. I also had some labels made up from Vista Print for the bottles and they came out really well. I will try to post some pics in a bit.

Jack

Which Jamaican Rum did you use? I have Myers, but not Appleton. I might need to get a bottle for the aftershave and to make a drink!

Which Jamaican Rum did you use? I have Myers, but not Appleton. I might need to get a bottle for the aftershave and to make a drink!

I bought the Appleton Estate. Today I got a nice order of Pimenta Racemosa (West Indian Bay Leaf) from Barbados. They smell wonderful! I plan to use these in my next batch instead of EO. I have a recipe using Pimenta Racemosa saved in my documents.

I wanted to post some pics of my bottled aftershave, but didn't want to do something that would get the mods mad at me. They might take it as my trying to set up a business and using the site for selling my stuff... which I am not interested in doing in the slightest.

Curious to know how different brands of rum have turned out.

Myers and Appleton are both dark rums - is there any problem with colouration (staining clothing etc.)? I wonder if they use caramel colour or the like.

Has anyone tried a 100% rum recipe? Or is it better to use vodka/everclear?

I'm contemplating trying to brew something up with rum/bay and vetiver (khusha).

This is my 'creative' attempt today (approximate measurements) to make about 300ml (10 US fluid ounces):

The spices:
  • about 10 dried Bay Leaves - common for cooking(cut up with scissors - my daughter's job)
  • 2 dried star anise (chopped in two)
The liquids:
  • 0.5 part Ethanol (98% alcohol), which I have
  • 4 tablespoons of water
  • 2 parts Myers Rum
  • 1 part vodka (Zubrowka Bisongrass- Polish herbal), cause I had it
  • 4 tablespoons of Yuzu Japanese sake/shochu, cause I had it
  • 1 part Witch Hazel
Add some more stuff (example if desired):
  • 1 piece of konbu (the seaweed that is used as cooking stock) - finely ground in a coffee grinder
  • about 10-15 fresh coffee beans - finely ground in a coffee grinder together with the konbu
Store for some time (still to do):
  • Add the peel of 2 limes
Store some more (still to do):
Strain
  • Add moisturiser - eg. moisturising cream containing glycerin (or add some Sanofi Glycerine - can be purchased from supermarket)
  • Add drops of essential oil of choice if desired

BayRumAftershaveHomemade_b.JPG

Top Bottom