What's new

Homebrewers - Whats brewing?

I've got a Hoegaarden clone fermenting right now as well as a batch of mead. On tap, a Pre-Prohibition Lager, Smoked Porter, Double IPA, Hard Cider and Chokecherry Stout. In the works are a pale ale, best bitter and my typical fall barley wine. The last 2 years batches of barley wine finished at a beautiful 13% and 14% ABV. Over the spring/summer the 2008 has morphed from a really good barley wine to an exceptional one with the extra age. Cheers! Ryan

How are you controlling your fermentation temp in the summer? Sounds as though you are a hard-core brewer!

I really enjoy brewing and I'm lucky enough to have a basement that stays cool. The wit fermenting now is at 66 degrees. I was contemplating taking it somewhere warmer as it is fermenting good but slower than I'd like. I also have a cellar that stays about 50-55 degrees in the winter which is where I do my lagers in the winter. Of course I'm in ND and it looks like you are in MO and I'm guessing our climates might be a tad different! :)

I know fermentation generates heat, so I assume that, just because room temperature might be, say 60 degrees, that a brewer cannot assume the vessel will maintain at 60. How many degrees (roughly) would be generated just by fermentation?

Rather new to homebrew and hopefully in the not too distant future will have the time, money and space to brew some all grain stuff.

In the mean time Wurzel's Orange Wine is too cheap, easy and tasty not to be brewing. Seems like a good intro to this brewing lark as it's ready in a few weeks and is great fun to watch in a dj, it's going like a steamtrain in 24hrs.

I know fermentation generates heat, so I assume that, just because room temperature might be, say 60 degrees, that a brewer cannot assume the vessel will maintain at 60. How many degrees (roughly) would be generated just by fermentation?

I've never tested it, but the average amount usually thrown around on the beer forum I am on (homebrewtalk.com) up to 10 degrees F higher than the ambient temp. Thats why its recommended to use a thermowell for refrigerator or chest freezer style fermentation chambers along with a temp controller. That way, the fridge is cycling to keep the beer at the right temp, and not just the air.

Top Bottom