What's new

The Best New Beers of Spring (and Summer)

Well Spring is almost here (hopefully). Pretty interesting list from Esquire of some newer beers to check out.

http://www.esquire.com/the-side/food-and-drink/best-spring-beers-040811?click=main_sr#slide-6

Bell's Oberon Ale

With a smirking sun on the label and a golden-honey liquid that looks like it was tapped directly from the center of the solar system, Bell's Oberon Ale is spring in a bottle (or on draft). Zippy, slightly tart lemon flavors from Saaz hops make this Michigan-brewed wheat ale endlessly refreshing. And, at 5.8 percent alcohol by volume, you can enjoy a few Oberons during a ball game without worrying too much about a hangover the next day.

Flying Dog Backyard Ale

Maryland's largest craft brewery teamed up in March with chef Bryan Voltaggio, a Maryland native and Top Chef season six finalist, to create this smoky amber ale that's suitable for backyard barbecues. Its light base and smoked malts should be an ideal complement to, in the brewery's words, "all things grilled, charred, broiled, roasted, and smoked." Look for it to be released soon in 750-ml and 12-ounce bottles.

Southern Tier Hop Sun

This hopped-up wheat beer has the bright, grassy aroma of a pilsner and the citrusy bite of a pale ale. In fact, the wheat in Hop Sun's grain bill is barely detectable save for its crisp, clean finish. Brewed in New York, it's the sort of craft beer that demands respect not because it's fussy or rare or complex, but simply because it's just so damn good. So good it might even make yard work or cleaning out the garage seem enjoyable.

Victory Summer Love Ale

Philadelphia's Victory Brewing Co. is bringing back a beer it made last year in tandem with the city's tourism board for Philly Beer Week. But this summer, Victory is increasing the brew's production and spreading the love to all 29 states where its beers are sold. Summer Love Ale — an easy-drinking golden ale brewed with German hops, pale malts, and water from Chester County's own Brandywine Creek — is due out in May. You'll want to pick some up.

Moylan's Orange & Black Congrats Ale!

Brewed to honor the current World Series champions, the San Francisco Giants, Orange & Black Congrats Ale! is, as its name suggests, a black ale that incorporates zest from California-grown oranges. Moylan's Brewery and Restaurant released the dark, celebratory brew on opening day in 22-ounce bottles and on draft at its Novato, California, brewpub and at select locations around the Bay Area. Its production is limited, so if you want to grab one to toast the Giants (or, you know, just to drink), better do so now.

Arcadia Whitsun Ale

Arcadia Brewing Co. recently released Whitsun — its Americanized take on a Belgian-style witbier — in bottles and kegs. And the Battle Creek, Michigan-based brewery plans to add cans to its Whitsun repertoire by the end of this month, marking Arcadia's entrance into the growing world of canned craft beers. What's so great about cans? For starters, they actually do a better job than bottles of keeping oxygen and light from skunking your beer. Plus, cans are welcome at places where glass is not — like beaches, golf courses, and concert venues — which means you'll have more places to savor Whitsun, a tasty warm-weather wheat beer brewed with coriander and orange peel. At the beach, what could be better?

I'm excited about that Victory beer. Everything they make is amazing. Bell's Oberon isn't my favorite. Its a pretty weak American Wheat IMO marketed to the less beer savvy swill guzzling public. I love almost everything Bells does too, just don't like that beer.

I would really love to try that Moylan's Orange and Black. Gonna have to give my beer guy a shout see if we're going to get it.

Cheers for the list!

Top Bottom