What's new

The 15 Best Beers for the Summer Heat

Pretty nice list from Esquire of their 15 best beers to drink this summer and what eat with them. Some of these have been metioned before in other lists and posts, but there are a couple that I've never tried before.

Brooklyn Blast

With nine varieties of British and American hops and an alcohol content approaching 9 percent, this IPA is definitely a blast to the palate. But it's also incredibly balanced — no alcohol heat, and all of those hops are bright and citrusy, not astringent and bitter.
Drink with: tacos.

Victory Golden Monkey

Belgian-style tripel ales can often be cloyingly sweet or be plagued by strong, spicy esters. But not Philadelphia's Victory Brewing Co., which keeps flavors harmonious in its Golden Monkey. The beer's highly active carbonation also makes it light on the tongue.
Drink with: steamed mussels or grilled shellfish.

Anchor California Lager
Best known for its iconic Steam Beer, Anchor Brewing set out recently on a quest to re-create California's first lager, from a brewery that burned down in the 1890s. Anchor used California-grown barley and Cluster hops, America's oldest variety, to craft California Lager. This easy-drinking, historic brew was only available on draft and in bottles in California — until this month. Look for it through September in New York, Maryland, Illinois, Pennsylvania, Massachusetts and about 10 other states.
Drink with: BBQ chicken.

Firestone Walker Pils

Pilsners are like the vanilla cake of the beer world: Tasty, sure, but maybe a little boring. Not so fast, says Firestone Walker Brewing Co. The California brewer adds a crush of German-grown hops to give its Pils a juicy snap. I could — and will — drink this all summer long.
Drink with: ceviche.

Deschutes River Ale

The newest year-round offering from Oregon's Deschutes Brewery is River Ale. The sessionable golden brew is clean and thirst-quenching, with a pleasant hop jab on the finish. With just 3.8 percent alcohol by volume, River Ale is a perfect brew to enjoy while mowing the lawn — afterward, too.
Drink with: scrambled eggs and bacon.

Left Hand Good Juju In a new production technique, Left Hand is now juicing the organic Peruvian ginger it uses to brew Good Juju, a light golden ale with a fresh, spicy kick. The result is a more-pronounced ginger aroma and flavor, making Good Juju closer to Jamaican ginger beer than ginger ale.
Drink with: sesame-crusted tuna

Golden Road Point the Way

Golden Road Brewing in Los Angeles has a newly tweaked recipe for Point the Way, its flagship IPA, and it's a winner. Brewmaster Jesse Houck upped the alcohol content slightly, to 5.9 from 5.2 percent, and added more hops. The result is a balanced, hop-forward beer that's not overwhelming on the palate.
Drink with: grilled steak or hamburgers.

Cigar City Guava Grove

This Florida interpretation of a French-style saison has a tropical twist, being fermented with fresh guava puree. The sweet-tart flavor of the guava juice serves as a nice contrast to the spicy yeast presence. What a terrific summer beer.
Drink with: watermelon-feta salad

SweetWater 420

SweetWater Brewing in Atlanta knew it had a hit on its hands soon after it debuted 420 Extra Pale Ale on April 20, 1997 (4/20, get it?). It's hoppy, but not scrape-your-tongue hoppy. It's malty, but not eating-a-loaf-of-bread malty. 420 hits that sweet spot that earns it a place in your fridge this summer.
Drink with: beer-battered fish

New Belgium Rolle Bolle

I like when a beer's ingredient list leads me to Wikipedia, and that's where I headed after seeing that New Belgium's new Rolle Bolle is brewed with monk fruit and soursop. The former is a Chinese plant with a bitter rind and flesh 300 times sweeter than white sugar. The latter is a spiky fruit from Mexico with a sweet-sour citrus flavor. New Belgium has rolled the two into a light summer ale with intriguing notes of white wine, pineapple and lemon.
Drink with: roast pork.

Avery Joe's Premium American Pilsner

A union of German and American hops creates a clean, dry, grassy flavor in this pilsner from Colorado. One of the best parts of Joe's Pils is its vessel: It comes in a can, which is perfect for a day on the links, at the pool or any number of places where glass bottles are shunned.
Drink with: hot dogs or brats.

Cisco Summer of Lager

Among their many differences, lagers take longer to brew and ferment than ales do. In Nantucket, the making of Summer of Lager is a labor of love — and time. The brewery starts each year's batch in October so it'll be ready for release in June. You can taste the care that goes into this beer. It smells of freshly baled hay and tastes crisp like a summer sunrise.
Drink with: raw oysters.

Bell's Oberon

Wheat ales — beers brewed with a good amount of malted wheat — are summer favorites for their light flavor and smooth mouthfeel. They have a tendency to be boring, too, which is why I prefer wheat beers with a little something extra, like assertive hops or interesting spices. Bell's Oberon is an elite wheat beer that exudes a bright-orange hue and tastes like someone took summer and bottled it.
Drink with: crab cakes.

Stone Enjoy By IPA

Right now, liquor stores across California, Missouri, Texas and Washington are stocking their shelves with the latest release in Stone's Enjoy By IPA series. Released this week, Enjoy By 07.04.13 gives drinkers a clear message: This beer is meant to be consumed now, while fresh. That's when its plethora of hops will be at their peak of dank aroma and flavor. The California brewery is democratic about its Enjoy By releases; if you want the next batch in your state, vote on the website.
Drink with: beer-can chicken.

Kona Wailua Ale

Another wheat beer with a twist, Wailua Ale from Hawaii is brewed with a burst of passion fruit that lends a pleasant and subtle touch of island sweetness. The beer has gone through some cosmetic changes over the years, including three different names (it used to be Liliko'i Wheat, then Wailua Wheat) and new, slimmer bottles that will help reduce the brewery's carbon footprint. But the recipe has remained the same. And that's worth toasting this summer.
Drink with: vanilla ice cream.

http://www.esquire.com/the-side/food-and-drink/best-summer-beers-2013#slide-1

Last edited:
This may sound odd, but ice cold Guinness Stout is a terrific summer beer. A good Belgian Wit like Blanche de Chamblay is always good, or a well made local Kolsch. Dortmunder Export style is perhaps the best Lawnmower beer you can find.

I second the Shiner Ruby Redbird. I also tend to stock a few Witbier-style bottles this time of year. But, I also keep Shiner Bock in the rotation along with just about anything from Great Divide Brewing or New Belgium, depending on the temp and what's for dinner.

I liked the Rolle Bolle when I first tried it a couple months ago, but a little goes a long way for me with "fruity" beers. I prefer my juice in a separate glass, preferably with breakfast. Shiner Ruby Redbird is the only exception I've found to this so far. That one really cuts the dust on a hot day.

It is nice, but to me, St Bernardus Wit is even better, too bad it comes just in small bottles.

Kasteel Rouge is a nice summer brew, although at 8%, you can easily have one too many.

I don't know if St. Bernardus is available outside of Europe. In fact, I am even surprised you can get it in Slovenia!

Wieckse Witte also is a decent wheat beer, in my opinion.

I don't know if St. Bernardus is available outside of Europe. In fact, I am even surprised you can get it in Slovenia!

Wieckse Witte also is a decent wheat beer, in my opinion.

Why not? Is it such an exclusive? We are quite lucky to have a really nice selection of Belgian beers here in Slovenia.

I am a HUGE 420 fan and for me that is the best beer regardless of the season. A legit summer beer by Victory Brewing, "Summer of Love" is also to be considered as a good choice

Top Bottom