What's new

High Standard Derringers!

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Always remember that a single kindness can last a lifetime.

When I was a lad - call it the early 1970s - one of my sister's boyfriends took me shooting. An impromptu backyard session, we blasted a few targets with a 22 rifle, an 8mm rifle (had to have been a Mauser) a shotgun blast for effect, and then a surprise... From a back pocket wallet holster, a final POP-POP! on target. Why, the guy had a derringer all along! I was impressed.

A High Standard 22 magnum Derringer, to be precise.

full

(Tell me the guy in the ad doesn't look like a B&Ber! Anyways).

These little guns were well-regarded in their time as a viable backup. Even gun great (writer) Skeeter Skelton had a brace of them and said nice things. (I'll find the link).

Now I am a fan of High Standard firearms in general, but that's another story. Recently American Rifleman had an article on the company and it brought back some memories. I started looking at online sales and the HS Derringer (HSD) is easily found in its variants - blue, nickle, magnum and long rifle. It has been on my gun bucket list to acquire one, but I hadn't seen one in decades.

full

To be continued...

AA

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Apologies; my time is not my own today.

BLUF: (bottom line up front) found a HS Derringer NIB from 1974 at a local place. Box, papers, perfect little time capsule! Nickle, black grips, 22 magnum of course.

full

Ergos on these things are surprisingly good!

full

Found a holster that fit. Have CCI TNT mag ammo.

Pleasant little bit of nostalgia. Truckers, police, hunters, fishermen; these things were everywhere at one time.

There are of course many better SD solutions today - many. But this is a unique and stylish little carry to me.

Got a HS Derringer story? Love to hear it!

Here is Skeeter's two cents:

AA

Last edited:

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
A Lt. of mine used to carry one in .22 Mag. behind the buckle of his Sam Brown duty belt. That coulda been a surprise.

Back then the alternative would have been a small auto, such as a baby Browning, in 25 acp or 22RF. Two rounds of 22 Mag compared favorably to many.

Nice find!

Ad Astra

The Instigator
A Lt. of mine used to carry one in .22 Mag. behind the buckle of his Sam Brown duty belt. That coulda been a surprise.

Removing the grips makes this thing even flatter; that may have been a trick he used.

Read a story about an Air Force pilot, bailed out and caught by two VC. They took his sidearm but missed his HS Derringer.

He regained his freedom.

AA

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Back then the alternative would have been a small auto, such as a baby Browning, in 25 acp or 22RF. Two rounds of 22 Mag compared favorably to many.

Nice find!

Yes and yes! Also, this has a 3.5" barrel. Those North American Arms mini revolvers are just 2.25, I think. Slightly better ballistics and I'm using a round that is said to expand out of the NAA.

Like Gomer Pyle said, "surprise, surprise!"

AA

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Darn it Mike, now I want one.

Yes, you do! Carry something with pure 70s style and panache!

They are easily found, too. Many on GB and just check your local pawn and GS.

I seriously want to go back for its mate in 22 long rifle.

AA

Last edited:

Ad Astra

The Instigator
That's a pretty cool little gun. Ive wanted to pick up a derringer for a few years now but could never justify the cost for such a tiny gun.

$300-400 tops.

My health insurance costs way more than that per month.

I asked the GS owner, "What do you think of the HS Derringer?"

He laughed. "I carried one every day for 14 years!"

"Ever work on one?" (He's also a Smith).

"Never had to."

AA

$300-400 tops.

My health insurance costs way more than that per month.

I asked the GS owner, "What do you think of the HS Derringer?"

He laughed. "I carried one every day for 14 years!"

"Ever work on one?" (He's also a Smith).

"Never had to."

AA
Yeah, that's about the price I was finding. I could get a lot more fun for just about that much money or just a bit more. I mean, I bought my Walther PPQ for about $500 and its a lot more gun than those things are.
IMO, they shouldn't be more than $200 but they cost what they cost.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Selecting barrels: it simply has a cam. One barrel fires, then the next.

Of course I had to shoot it. Don't frown, but I stuck a couple powderless Colibri rounds in there. Not magnums, but no power, only a primer. Couldn't see any harm, though I'd never fire regular 22 long rifle in any 22 magnum.

POP. POP. (smiles).

AA

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Top Bottom