What's new

Hi from michigan

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
From one Michigander to another...Hello
proxy.php
Del from Indian River, MI ('Say Yes to Michigan'...Yeah Baby!!!).
proxy.php

"[Other states are], beautiful to look at, but you can't be a part of it like you can in [Pure] Michigan".Jennifer Granholm

Welcome aboard the B & B (and now a proud member of the fictional, sacred and utopian Order of Shavedom). Please feel free to come up to the promenade / sun deck &
'sit-a-spell'.
Sounds like your off to a great start and yes, this Forum has the knowledge, ideas, and all around 'know-how' to assist in your Wet-Shaving experience. In a nut-shell...your 'gonna' love it here.

In my opinon, it was wise and sage advice to get a Razor Blade Sampler so that you'll see what blade would be a good fit (mild, moderate & aggressive, ect...), for your face and razor. And please don't forget The 7 P's of Shaving...Prepare, Patience, Pressure, Practice, Persistence, Post shave and Passion (http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/313490-New-Members!-The-6-P-s-of-Shaving).

Although, you may not be additted yet (I think I'm holding up fairly well...with a few exceptions), because we all suffer (gladly and are doomed perhaps), from this shaving complusion (and other Acquisition Disorders), because at times..."Resistance is futile".
proxy.php

"Lead us not into temptation. Just tell us where it is; we'll find it". Sam Levenson
Please don't forget once you get time....to tell us a little about yourself in the Hall of Fame sub-forum. $pure_mi_logo_600.jpg

proxy.php
"A good lather is half the shave". William Hone

Welcome. I'd love to see some pictures of the things you make. I'm sure you will find many people here that are interested in what you do. Glad to have you aboard!

I went over to my friend Tim Zowada's house today to cryo treat some stainless blades and I told him I had joined the forum, and we started talking razors(since he makes them, we usually wind up talking razors at some point) and he asked me if I was interested in trying out at straight razor. I said sure and he set me up with a razor and strop and some hints to make things easier(and hopefully not cut me own throat). I'll be taking a closer look around the forum for some more good tips, but I am now looking forward to my first shave with a straight razor. I am very grateful to Tim to help me out in this way, he is a great guy and an even better friend.
Thanks,
Del

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
Hi Del, welcome from another Michigander - my hunt camp is outside Alanson, perhaps we've met at Bob's Place ..

Shaving with a straight razor Del is pretty straight forward (no pun intended). I started 3/12 so I haven't been at it that long. Still, i feel comfortable using striaght razors that I can't imagine shaving any other way. One thing you want to do is to keep the blade angles low. Do that and you wont have problems with razor burn, so keep the spine as close to your skin as possible. that should get you started right

you'll also want to stretch your skin pulling it with your free hand. I pull from behnd the razor, to make the hairs stand up. you'll want good grip on your razor and your finger tips when stretching skin...a lot of straight razor shavers will rub an alum block on their finger tips for extra grip. I leave one sink side while shaving

Watch this pro shave http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/136249-Chimensch-s-30th-Anniversary-Shaving-Video he's been at it for 30 years

you'll notice he strops after the shave...so as to remove moisture from the edge, so it wont rust and micro chip sitting in his razor roll waiting for the next go round

...Oh!, something else...make sure you map your beard. most draw a circle on paper (two vertical lines for your neck), feel the way the grain grows and mark using arrows. It's empirical no matter what tool you use to shave with to shave with the grain (WTG) then XTG (cross) and for a final pass, shave against (ATG) the grain. Some have trouble shaving ATG. More don't than do...just a heads up. maybe you knew this. I believe there are some printable copies (of a face) you can download and print so all you need to do is draw arrows indicating growth./ It's a pretty easy way to start out shaving right...mapping your beard and shaving to suit the growth, rather than fight it

Best,

Jake
Reddick Fla.

Had my first shave with a str8 last night and I understand better the need for a good soap and lather, and even for something after. No cuts or nicks, or even discomfort, it went pretty well.
thanks,
Del

Top Bottom