What's new

Henson razor opinions?

Could someone share some thoughts on comparing Henson medium with the plates of Rockwell 6s? Thank you!
You can check out my comments in the Rockwell thread and the older Henson thread. It feels like R2, shave result is like R4. I can repeat what @Doc Dan claims: unlike DEs where the top cap has an elliptic shave, the Henson Al13 mild sticks onto the skin. To me, this is a big advantage because a. I can shave faster, with fewer passes and b. the probability of cuts when establishing contact with the skin is reduced to zero. So far I have only nicked myself under the nose and on my chin using bad blades.

I've been using mine (Mild) daily for about 6 weeks now. The angle of the head works efficiently but I've discovered that for problem areas like the curvature of the chin, a slightly steeper angle takes care of things nicely.

Revisited Astra today and got better results than I did from my first Henson shave. I guess this is due to having spent enough time with the razor, and tweaking my lather to be thinner and slicker.

I bought a henson medium tan color from razor Emporium. The razor shaved nicely but was SUPER TOUGH to screw and unscrew the handle into the top plate. I had to fully grip and twist. I emailed henson and told them it was difficult and I put silicone oil on the threads to help...but it still was super tough. They told me they already greased the threads. I emailed razor Emporium and they allowed me to send it back for their inspection. They agreed and sent a new one. Now it's great. Now I can loosen and tighten using finger tips And not a fully gripped fist.

I had a two day growth of beard and replaced the Feather in my medium Ti22 with an Astra blade. I got a spectacular shave with it and only light touch up of hard to reach places (like near my ears). No irritation, super smooth, and only two passes.

6 Months Later

The Mild has become the only razor I really use. I rarely break out any of the Techs and strangely, don't miss them much. (I've stopped posting in the What Did You Use Today thread as I can practically cut and paste my entries for days on end, as the results are disturbingly consistent.)

My technique has evolved and continues to evolve to the point where I can use a variety of blades and get similar results. The RK Henson and Astra SP are still the best options for me in this razor but even Parker Platinum and Shark SC now work great.

The clear finish has held up well, though I've never dropped the razor. The handle texture remains sufficiently grippy. I've not noted any loss of tolerances that I can detect whether by eye, or via the shave.

Hardly a long term review but the results are most encouraging.

Last edited:
I use the Henson medium, it's one of four razors I use, although I own a LOT more. When used with a Kai blade, the Henson medium gives a really excellent shave, but also works well with nearly any blade I use.

If the Henson razor were a person, it would be the nerdy over-achiever we knew in school growing up. :)

373EDE7D-22E2-43D8-9635-0E99A8140573.jpeg

Has anyone here gotten one in the last l it take bit? It looks like they have added a bevel to the corners of them now. This is off their website. The titanium still shows the original shape.

Top Bottom