What's new

Henson Razor Club.

I use Henson+ and have yet to try a Feather (came in a sample pack) or similar ultrasharp blade like your Wizamet Super Iridium. My blade of choice was Astra SP (Russia) and is now Tatra platinum, with some experimentation with sharper blades (Personna Blue platinum, Personna Red (Germany) and Bolzano). The Personna blades are persona non grata as they were very irritating. The Bolzano has mixed results which are probably soap dependent.

Paul, you should use sharp blades for AL13 mild. It will give you better shave.

@Omega48 I find your blade/razor choices interesting. I use Henson+ and have yet to try a Feather (came in a sample pack) or similar ultrasharp blade like your Wizamet Super Iridium. My blade of choice was Astra SP (Russia) and is now Tatra platinum, with some experimentation with sharper blades (Personna Blue platinum, Personna Red (Germany) and Bolzano). The Personna blades are persona non grata as they were very irritating. The Bolzano has mixed results which are probably soap dependent.

If you wouldn't mind, I'd appreciate learning your thoughts and experience that led to your current pairings.

TIA,
Paul
I find the Astra SP very smooth. They are very gentle on the skin and that is my priority while using the more aggressive Henson +++, when I go WTG and XTG for the first two passes (plus I have a ton of them so I don't mind using them...).
When I go ATG with the Henson +, my priority is to avoid "pulling" the hair, and for that I prefer a sharper blade. Fortunately the Wizamet are both super sharp and gentle on the skin. I am also trying other blades, but so far the ones I like the most are Wizamet, Polsilver, and Gillette 7 O'clock Super Platinum.

The reason why I use two razors is simply to mimic what I used to do with the Gillette adjustable, even if now with a better razor and with the possibility to use two different blades, it's even better.

Henson +++, Astra SP, WTG + XTG.
Henson +, Wizamet Super Iridium, ATG.
IMG_2962.jpeg

I just placed an order for a 100 pack of Astra Superior Platinums. Excited to try the new Indian version and hope it's just as sharp/smooth as the Russian ones.
I had a terrible experience with the Indian Astra SP after I ran out of the Russian blades. That was early on after the manufacturing switch from St. Petersburg so things may have smoothed out (pun intended) since then. Of course, some folks here seem to like the new India-sourced blades and YMMV.
I see the B&B community split on the subject. I, for example, prefer the ones made in India. Very little difference but I find the ones made in India even snootier and a little sharper.

Last edited:
@Omega48,
Thanks for taking the time to reply. I'll add a tuck of new Astra SP blades in my next order. Hopefully I will find that their manufacturing has improved since the initial transfer from Russia.
Cheers,
Paul

Reactions: Kix
Clinique Anti Aging Face Lotion
Henson Med (purchased here) (Lot 012) (Aluminum in the white)
Astra SP 1x
Cremo
Henna Guys Shave Oil
Clinique Charcoal Face Wash

BBS cheeks
DFS+ Jaw Line
DFS+ Neck

No cuts or weepers

If this continues to be as efficient as it seems without the cuts/weepers of more agressive razors i.e. Schlick Injectors, I could see selling my Mild and picking up a second Medium.

New Henson Razor member, joined this morning with a Mild I purchased on here. I was surprised how light this razor really is, I may have to try a shorter and heavier handle but will see how things progress. I can see you need a little more face pressure vs a more traditional head style.

Pre Shave: Warm Shower, Stirling Baker Street Liquid Bath Soap, Stirling Unscented Pre Shave Soap
Razor: Henson V2+ (Mild)
Blade: Gillette Nacet (6)
Soap/Cream: Barrister & Mann Cool
Bowl: The CaYuen Workshop Medium Damascus Textured Wet Shaving Lathering Bowl
Brush: Dscosmetic Neon Handle AP Shave Co 26mm MiG Knot
Post Shave: Cold Water Rinse, Thayers Unscented Witch Hazel, Nivea Unscented Post Shave Balm & Seaforth's Black Watch AS
Rating: 10/10 A comfortable efficient 3 pass BBS shave with one touch up, no weepers, cuts or irritation. A very good shave!

I bought the AL13 + and I find it to be a fantastically efficient razor.
But even after trying different blades (Dovo, Feather, Astra, Shark), I still have blood spots around my mouth and a tight feeling on my cheeks.
The shave is so close that I shave every 2 days.
I started again with my trusty AS-D2 and I have to face the facts that the Henson is not for me and I am going to return it.

But even after trying different blades (Dovo, Feather, Astra, Shark), I still have blood spots around my mouth and a tight feeling on my cheeks.
I started again with my trusty AS-D2 and I have to face the facts that the Henson is not for me and I am going to return it.
Sticking with what works I find is the best approach.

If you've got something that works, that's great. However, if you want to give it a bit more time, it sounds like you might be adding too much pressure. Many of us did that with the light Henson. It is worth a shot. I didn't realize how little pressure I needed and at the same time the shaves kept getting better.

SOTD: 05/24/2024

Razor: Henson Mild Aluminum
Blade: Feather New Hi-Stainless, 2nd use
Brush: Maggard SYN 22
Bowl: Timeless Razors Red Bowl Bowl
Soap: Maggard Tobacco And Leather Croap
Aftershave: Maggard Tobacco And Leather Aftershave
Balm: Gillette After Shave Gel Gel

2nd shave with the Henson mild razor but used a yellow Feather blade as suggested this time. Small nick with this mornings shave but was putting more pressure on razor too. I can definetly see a learning curve with this razor being there is a clearly defined angle to use. I’m going to use this as my main razor for a while to give it a fair shake. Still feels absurdly light like you are shaving with air.
5.24.24.jpg

SOTD: 05/24/2024

Razor: Henson Mild Aluminum
Blade: Feather New Hi-Stainless, 2nd use
Brush: Maggard SYN 22
Bowl: Timeless Razors Red Bowl Bowl
Soap: Maggard Tobacco And Leather Croap
Aftershave: Maggard Tobacco And Leather Aftershave
Balm: Gillette After Shave Gel Gel

2nd shave with the Henson mild razor but used a yellow Feather blade as suggested this time. Small nick with this mornings shave but was putting more pressure on razor too. I can definetly see a learning curve with this razor being there is a clearly defined angle to use. I’m going to use this as my main razor for a while to give it a fair shake. Still feels absurdly light like you are shaving with air.
View attachment 1851408
Not applying pressure with any razor is key. I used to apply pressure when using cartridge razors. When I switched to DE razors I learned very quickly that added pressure is a bad idea.

Not applying pressure with any razor is key. I used to apply pressure when using cartridge razors. When I switched to DE razors I learned very quickly that added pressure is a bad idea.
I thought I read somewhere that people were saying you needed pressure with this razor due to its design. I will continue to work through it quarks. I am not getting the ASMR feedback like I do with my other razors like I am used too.

Top Bottom