What's new

Henson Razor Club.

Looks, of course, are meaningless as far as shave quality goes. But not when it comes to someone deciding to not drop coin on it because it looks like most other DE safety razors around. Good luck with that, Henson. Competitors should be pleased.

FlatbarHenson.png

I just asked Henson what changes have been made to the razor. I got a very detailed reply:

Yes, all the razors on our website have this new design.

The design team weighed both customer feedback and test results, to introduce several enhancements to both the AL13 and Ti22 razors.

Increased grip
The overall diameter of the handle has been increased by 0.010”. Also, the textured portions of the handle have been made more pronounced. Both of these changes improve overall grip and handling of the razor.

Reshaped channels
The lather channels in the baseplate have been reshaped and the centre webs of the lather slots have removed, resulting in improved hair and lather evacuation.

Softened edges and added bevels
The edges of the baseplate and top cap have been softened in an effort to reduce any unwanted sharpness from the outer edges and corners of the razor head. Also, a large bevel has been added to the outer corners of the razor head. These changes improve comfort, control, and precision during shaving, especially when maneuvering around obstacles, such as next to the nose and mouth.

Removed end posts
The small posts at the ends of the blade gap have been removed from the baseplate. One resulting benefit of this is that the very ends of the razor blades edge are able to perform better. Also, since the shape of the lather channel is now completely through the razor head, rinsing of the razor is improved.

Added razor head grip
Indents have been added at the ends of the razor head to assist with gripping the head for assembly and disassembly for blade changes, cleaning, etc.

Chip groove
A small notch has been added to the top of the top cap threaded post to help keep the threads clean and free of debris.

All the best,

Welp, there is the new handle that is on my aggressive. I guess that was a preview after all! I will need to stare at images for several hours to formulate any other opinions...

I wonder if there's any chance they'll open source their previous geometry so people can have theirs machined LOL

I’m one who regards all change with skepticism; I generally let others be the beta-testers. I do like the softened corners, the original can be pokey near mouth/nose etc. The fatter handle and other changes I think I could take or leave. Still really happy with my mild and waiting for a medium to show up, but it’s got a long cross country trip.

It looks like they have adressed my key criticism of the design by what Mantic wrote. It appears they have rounded the top slightly just above the flat sides. This would also increase the perception of aggression as you can now get angles you couldn't previously. But this leaves me in a pickle; if I am going to buy an aggressive Ti, should I still do that with the new design or will the updated ++ do everything I always wanted? I guess I will order both in about a month and send back one of them after examining them and making an educated guess without trying both.
I'd wait especially if you're going to spend a fair bit and get the Ti, as whenever you buy something always worth getting the latest/upgraded version instead of buying it then regret not waiting, saying that the upgrade/latest one isn't worth getting the original if it's not better imho

I'm wondering if the better lather channels will help with cutting lonber hair growth?

I've got a medium Henson and I like it but what I don't like is that is struggles with a fair amount of hair growth for me with m thick and coarse hair but wondering if this will make a difference on the head?

I'd wait especially if you're going to spend a fair bit and get the Ti, as whenever you buy something always worth getting the latest/upgraded version instead of buying it then regret not waiting, saying that the upgrade/latest one isn't worth getting the original if it's not better imho
There is a rumour up thread that the coloured Ti razors are making a comeback, that is what I have been waiting for so I can keep waiting.

Reactions: saj
Oh, I just figured out why this is a soft launch! They haven't coordinated this with their vendors so they need to avoid stepping on toes. I know Maggards just got some Ti22s in this week for example.

@saj1985, there is a link not too far up thread to purchase the +++ in Al. I don't know if that will switch to the new design because these are made in batches. Oh, you are asking about coloured Al, they have said no. Which probably means maybe, later.

Oh, I just figured out why this is a soft launch! They haven't coordinated this with their vendors so they need to avoid stepping on toes. I know Maggards just got some Ti22s in this week for example.

@saj1985, there is a link not too far up thread to purchase the +++ in Al. I don't know if that will switch to the new design because these are made in batches. Oh, you are asking about coloured Al, they have said no. Which probably means maybe, later.
Don't know if it's because I'm looking on my phone but can't find the post with the link, looked like 4/5 pages back too

Only in Ti? Any idea if they'll have +++ aggressive in Al?
You can get a aggressive aluminum here. Henson AL13 - Aggressive - https://hensonshaving.com/products/henson-al13-aggressive?variant=39711696060496

From the Henson mild v medium thread. It has some weird formatting not sure how to link it up. I copied the info here.

Hi Paul,

We appreciate your continued support!

1. Yes, the idea in unscrewing the razor slightly is to allow airflow into the razor and blade between shaves.

2. We have done a small run of Al13 aggressive razors. They are not publicly available so you will not find them on our website. This said, they can be purchased through the direct link HERE. Do note, they are only available while supplies last, and it is unlikely that we will make more. The aggressive razor does not qualify for our return policy and is final sale!

You can get a aggressive aluminum here. Henson AL13 - Aggressive - https://hensonshaving.com/products/henson-al13-aggressive?variant=39711696060496

From the Henson mild v medium thread. It has some weird formatting not sure how to link it up. I copied the info here.

Hi Paul,

We appreciate your continued support!

1. Yes, the idea in unscrewing the razor slightly is to allow airflow into the razor and blade between shaves.

2. We have done a small run of Al13 aggressive razors. They are not publicly available so you will not find them on our website. This said, they can be purchased through the direct link HERE. Do note, they are only available while supplies last, and it is unlikely that we will make more. The aggressive razor does not qualify for our return policy and is final sale!
Thanks, explains why could find it on their site

Just to clarify does this Henson +++ Al aggressive come with the updated head? Looks like it from the pics unless I've misunderstood?

Thanks, explains why could find it on their site

Just to clarify does this Henson +++ Al aggressive come with the updated head? Looks like it from the pics unless I've misunderstood?

This is the image I'm getting on their website for the aggressive so no, it's not the updated geometry.

Henson_Aggressive.png

Top Bottom