What's new

Henson Razor Club.

That suction I find only happens if I use longer strokes. Those who use many short strokes are not likely to sense it. Henson allows for a longer shaving stroke and when doing this, I liken it to a hydrofoil that sucks it down onto the skin for a close shave. Very nice. I had not noticed it early on, but when I started using longer strokes it showed up. I like it.

This is a solid brass stand and is chrome plated, made in India, but I ordered three from this guy. It is pronounced ChU kur.
This stand fits the Henson like it was made for it. There is a very slight amount of play, but not much at all. Easy in, easy out.

Neat stand, I just don't understand the photos. It seems mat white in the first photo, but then the one with a razor in it seems chrome with white at the lower end. Wrapping?

Neat stand, I just don't understand the photos. It seems mat white in the first photo, but then the one with a razor in it seems chrome with white at the lower end. Wrapping?
It is chromed solid brass, not white. It is highly polished and that's why it looks white.

I have the Winning Razor (as well as a + ++ and +++ Henson), it is great as well. A funny thing, it is my heaviest razor and the Henson is my lightest. While they have many similarities, when I switch from one to the other it is a huge shock!

Another, very different razor, that has some of the same safe, foolproof properties is my Supply SE. I really like that razor too. It is very safe, perhaps a bit more efficient than some of the Hensons, and it has great blade rigidity too, due to the thicker injector blade.

I have the Winning Razor (as well as a + ++ and +++ Henson), it is great as well. A funny thing, it is my heaviest razor and the Henson is my lightest. While they have many similarities, when I switch from one to the other it is a huge shock!

Another, very different razor, that has some of the same safe, foolproof properties is my Supply SE. I really like that razor too. It is very safe, perhaps a bit more efficient than some of the Hensons, and it has great blade rigidity too, due to the thicker injector blade.

I came so close to buying the Winning razor precisely because it seemed like the kind of innovation Henson brought to the market. How would you describe or rate the shave compared to the +, ++ and +++? It comes closest to which one?

The Winning Razor is so inexpensive and so well made, I'd say buy it and see for yourself!

It has similar principles to the Henson, like the fixed angle, very strong blade clamping for blade rigidity, and just a sliver of blade. But it is a very different razor. It is very heavy and it has a neutral blade exposure, so it is much different in those ways. Because of that neutral blade exposure, it is least similar to the +++.

I haven't used a Henson but TWR works very efficiently for me despite the minimal blade exposure. (Also, I prefer SS to aluminum, and TWR is a much better looking tool IMO.) I think TWR is very hard to beat at its price.

I've compared the +++ and the Winning. The Winning is more mild. It is relatively efficient, especially for its specifications, but the +++ is much more so. So far the +++ is more aggressive than I need, but I may learn more and grow into it.

I've compared the +++ and the Winning. The Winning is more mild. It is relatively efficient, especially for its specifications, but the +++ is much more so. So far the +++ is more aggressive than I need, but I may learn more and grow into it.

Personally, I've pretty much got shaving with the +++ down to a science and it didn't take no decade doing either. Because it's a very efficient shave, it takes me less time completing a two-pass shave with the +++ than it did for one pass with my (2010) R41. In other words, I'm not have to fret on trouble spots as much as I did before.

I used the the Winning this morning and it works very efficiently for me, despite being "mild." I've used it maybe 4 times so far and my favorable impression continues. I got basically a BBS shave without much effort and without irritation. For me, the Winning is probably the best value in an all-SS DE razor.

Looks like they redesigned the head, not sure whether it's purely cosmetic.. thoughts?

290291594_567380718304195_6384196986934866187_n.jpeg

Yeah the head of the razor looks different now. Strange. No mention anywhere for this big design change? Lather channels look one complete opening vs 2 distince channels on the base plate. Did they improve or decide to cut corners for a bigger profit?

Yeah the head of the razor looks different now. Strange. No mention anywhere for this big design change? Lather channels look one complete opening vs 2 distince channels on the base plate. Did they improve or decide to cut corners for a bigger profit?

I did the rounds of YouTube channels and nothing, it's like this was kept a State secret. :mellow:

I'm not getting it, at all. You'd think they'd run the new design by enthusiasts first to see the kind of reception it gets.

Interesting. Sharpologist mentions the redesign briefly (excerpt below).

June, 2022 Design Update​

The AL-13 was given a slight "design tweak" in late June, 2022 and I was able to try one of the first units ("standard" style) off the assembly line. I would consider this an incremental, "evolutionary" change rather than anything dramatic.

I think the updated razor design is slightly more aggressive, getting a little closer to the "Medium" version. But, again, nothing dramatic.

I find the razor angle "sweet spot" noticeably wider on the updated version though. You should be able to get a good cut from this razor without having to pay overly-close attention to the exact angle at which you hold the razor.

I’ll be updating this article with additional detail as I use the razor more.

It looks like they have adressed my key criticism of the design by what Mantic wrote. It appears they have rounded the top slightly just above the flat sides. This would also increase the perception of aggression as you can now get angles you couldn't previously. But this leaves me in a pickle; if I am going to buy an aggressive Ti, should I still do that with the new design or will the updated ++ do everything I always wanted? I guess I will order both in about a month and send back one of them after examining them and making an educated guess without trying both.

That's awesome!

I remember a user here saying he had grinded the cap of his Henson Ti, resulting in a more round cap, very similar to this new Henson. He said it shaved much better than the original "flat" design, and that he had informed Henson about it and sent them images, proposing they implement that change to all their razors. Henson thanked for the feedback and said they would look into it.
Seems like they took heed!

It looks very promising, I will be getting one for sure.

Top Bottom