What's new

Henson Razor Club.

Louis Pasteur? 😄
Dont know what you mean.

just heard about the Henson yesterday, so it is not like I had been dying to get it. But when I heard about a brand new quality non zamak razor that shaves well for $40, I was
intrigued. For $70 I will pass.

How does it compare to an RR Lupo Aluminum, which is still $30?

thanks

I got both of mine when they were priced at $50. I believe I got an exceptional value at that price. I credit Badger & Blade discussions for helping me discover the Henson razor when it came to market.

It appears the cost of materials, tools and manufacturing cannot be supported at that price point. Henson announced the price change to the shaving community well in advance, and also honored the $50 price with a discount code for an extra month after the new pricing went into effect.
There is max $2 in aluminum in the razor and tool life when cutting aluminum is ridiculously long.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

There is max $2 in aluminum in the razor and tool life when cutting aluminum is ridiculously long.

I was disappointed to see the price increase. I am glad I already have what I want. I gladly paid $50. I am not sure I would personally pay $70.

I was disappointed to see the price increase. I am glad I already have what I want. I gladly paid $50. I am not sure I would personally pay $70.
My guess... They don't want to sell directly much anymore, they want to pursue a wholesale model so they need to give a keystone margin to the retailer.
It's a good razor but $70 is a lot for aluminum, you can get full SS for that price.

There was a post in another neighborhood... I believe it was a marketing push. Maybe to get it into stores or tv ads or ???

I love the Henson, but the new price definitely would have me questioning nits worth. [emoji3525]

The henson is the real deal if you like razors that aren't agressive. It really is unique and extremely well made. The tungsten bushing and such small exposure lead to the most rigid blade I've ever tried in a DE.

I share the view that it is a touch too inneficient for me though. I'm been widdling down my collection from 10 razors to 2 or 3 and it's currently in the remaining 4. I might keep it but it might be the next to be sold off.

I'm also not too stoked on the price increase. For 50 it was an easy recommendation, 70 not so much. Still, If you're into razors that are milder like something along the lines of a de89 it's a must try imo.
What are your top 3?

There was a post in another neighborhood... I believe it was a marketing push. Maybe to get it into stores or tv ads or ???

I love the Henson, but the new price definitely would have me questioning nits worth. [emoji3525]
Yes, I agree. I don't need another razor -- not for that price, anyway. And yes I will probably buy more razors anyway. :001_tt1:
The price is what attracted me for non-zamak.

They talk about a "medium" model on their site, but when you go to shop the only options are colors. When you add any of them to your cart, its says "mild."
Not that I'm buying one.
I love how all the new razors advertise how much money you will save after the first year, lol. I have spent much more money since getting into wet shaving than I ever did on shaving before.
I know - "Welcome to the club"!

They talk about a "medium" model on their site, but when you go to shop the only options are colors. When you add any of them to your cart, its says "mild."
Not that I'm buying one.
I love how all the new razors advertise how much money you will save after the first year, lol. I have spent much more money since getting into wet shaving than I ever did on shaving before.
I know - "Welcome to the club"!
OK, on the "Shop Page", you choose the razor AL13, then scroll down in the description text to find a link to the "medium" version. I hope the razor is designed better than their website.
If you choose the titanium, they have a drop-down to choose mild, medium, or aggressive. So I guess you only have 2 choices for the Aluminum version.
Or for the same price, Maggards has them, without the confusing navigation. They have them listed as 16 different razors, for each permutation of color, material, and aggressiveness.
Not than I'm buying one.

Henson's 5 minute video is a bit misleading to the uninitiated. They show just one cheap-looking DE razor (with the brand name blotted out digitally) as an example of why theirs is better. And the guy just points to what looks like a Dorco multi-blade razor.

Last edited:
I inquired about the razor this morning, and already got a response:

“We have never had a $40 razor, although the Henson AL13 was $49.99 at one point. With advertising and retailers needing their piece, this price became unsustainable so we chose to increase the price. The result was that sales took off and we are selling just as fast this razor just as fast as we can manufacture it.
This razor will be worth every penny you spend on it. That's our guarantee. If you buy it and disagree, we have a 100 Day Money Back Guarantee that we will stand behind to make it right.”

If I am buying directly from them, there is no middleman. So people are buying it now since it must be quality at $70, but a piece of “you know what” at $50? Lol

I will wait til the market corrects itself.
Not that I am buying one...

Henson did sell the razor for $40 plus shipping. The shipping was a fixed $10! This price was available for a very short time, maybe 4 weeks after going public. So essentially, you paid $50 for the Henson. People complained about the added shipping cost. So Henson re-priced the razor to $49.99 "including shipping". This all happened within a matter of weeks after the razor went online around September/October 2020. It had been available for testing and to some wet shaving forums for a month or two prior to their website going public. So technically, it has always been $49.99 until the recent price increase to $69.99. IMHO, the new price reflects additional advertising costs, second party vendor profits, and increases in shipping costs due to Covid19. By the way, do not expect any price increases in products or shipping "due to Covid19" to be erased after the pandemic is over. Increased prices are like taxes...once in place, always in place, regardless of why they were enacted. Also, with the exception of Razorock, nearly all of the competing artisan aluminum razors are all in the $60 to $70 range. Razorock is the exception with every custom razor they sell, and no one knows how they do it. The Aluminum Lupo is still $30 and the Stainless Steel Lupo is $70. IMHO, both are steals for the price.

Henson did sell the razor for $40 plus shipping. The shipping was a fixed $10! This price was available for a very short time, maybe 4 weeks after going public. So essentially, you paid $50 for the Henson. People complained about the added shipping cost. So Henson re-priced the razor to $49.99 "including shipping". This all happened within a matter of weeks after the razor went online around September/October 2020. It had been available for testing and to some wet shaving forums for a month or two prior to their website going public. So technically, it has always been $49.99 until the recent price increase to $69.99. IMHO, the new price reflects additional advertising costs, second party vendor profits, and increases in shipping costs due to Covid19. By the way, do not expect any price increases in products or shipping "due to Covid19" to be erased after the pandemic is over. Increased prices are like taxes...once in place, always in place, regardless of why they were enacted. Also, with the exception of Razorock, nearly all of the competing artisan aluminum razors are all in the $60 to $70 range. Razorock is the exception with every custom razor they sell, and no one knows how they do it. The Aluminum Lupo is still $30 and the Stainless Steel Lupo is $70. IMHO, both are steals for the price.
Thanks. I am not dying to get one. As far as price, there are always sales plus the aftermarket.

But think big flat panel TVs. Remember how expensive they used to be? The prices came down, and it seems like everyone has one.
For us old timers, same with the VCR and the DVD player. And computers as well. My first computer cost a whopping $3000, with a whopping 10 meg hard drive. Who would pay even close to that now?

So does the Aluminum Lupo compare favorably to the Henson? RR is not clear on the aluminum Lupo in terms of the blade gap, yet they offer 2 specific models is SS: 72 and 95. I assume the aluminum is 72.

At $30, I feel like getting an aluminum razor just for the halibut.
😄

Last edited:
I have the AL13..how do you tell.if it is mild.or.medium.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Check the baseplate surface that faces the blade. The medium has two plus signs engraved on it (++). I just lent out my mild, but I am guessing it only has one + engraved.

What are your top 3?
Right now it's between the GC .84, Karve C, and the 6s. Pretty standard response but they are all pretty great.

I've yet to try anything super premium though.Those three have beat out the De89, Maggards V3/V3A/Slant, Ikon X3, and the supply SS. I'm thinking the 6Sor the henson is next to go but I might just keep the henson for a bit.

Top Bottom