What's new

Henson Razor Club.

I've been trying to contact Henson for over a week now, email, texts, no reply. Has anyone heard from them, are they still around, maybe on vacation? Dunno. I'll try phoning next, but I'm reaching out here to see if other's experience matches mine.

I’ve communicated with Jonathan at Henson in the past few days. They are usually prompt with replying to emails.

I've been trying to contact Henson for over a week now, email, texts, no reply. Has anyone heard from them, are they still around, maybe on vacation? Dunno. I'll try phoning next, but I'm reaching out here to see if other's experience matches mine.

same here, Jonathan the man himself replied my email like 5 minutes after I wrote.

I have found that the Henson AL13 Medium is the best razor for testing blades. This is because the Henson shaving technique is not as variable as most other DE razors. This is because the Henson head fixes the shave angle, the blade exposure is minimal, and the blade is clamped so tightly that Henson has zero chatter and blade movement. If the razor minimizes shaving variables, then blade testing can be less subjective. The Astra blade was chosen by Henson because it had the most consistent manufacturing tolerances of any blade they tested. I suspect they tested a lot of blades from many manufacturers, based on their literature. The Astra is nearly the perfect blade for the razor, which gives a good baseline for comparison to other blades (cutting efficiency and smoothness). I have tried about a dozen other blades in both the Henson AL13 Medium and the Henson Titanium Aggressive model. I have found the AL13 Medium to deliver the best results for blade testing and comparison. I typically use at least 3 to 5 blades of each type, since manufacturing variation does occur. Since I typically shave 3 times a week, therefore this testing project will take me a year or more to complete. Everyone is different, and my results will be subjective. Since I have a good baseline with the Astra, I hope to rank blades in 4 groups....Equal to Astra, Better than Astra, Worse than Astra, and Terrible Don't Waste Your Time or Money! To date, bllades I have tested have been Equal or Worse than Astra. I have a couple of candidates that may be Better than Astra, but I need to do more shaves with them.

I’m curious to see your results. Try shaving more frequently. If there’s a razor that lets you do this, it’s the Henson

Hi everyone. I currently have the AL13 in the medium aggression and love it, it lives up to the hype.

I've read from a couple reports that the mild version is still a fairly efficient razor but it's even easier on the skin. Has anybody tried it out? What are your thoughts?
I just ordered the AL medium , just curious how you would compare it to other razors you've tried? I was on the fence about the mild or medium, I may have to try a mild too just to see. They have a 100 day full refund policy so it wouldn't be bad to try. Thanks, Mark.

I find the medium mild, but oddly efficient. I couldn't imagine getting razor burn, weeper, etc. with this razor. I would say it is similar to the Feather AS-D2

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I just ordered the AL medium , just curious how you would compare it to other razors you've tried? I was on the fence about the mild or medium, I may have to try a mild too just to see. They have a 100 day full refund policy so it wouldn't be bad to try. Thanks, Mark.

Not that this question was to me, but I have shaved with my Henson Ti22 medium for several months now. It compares favorably, if not better than, my EJ 3one6, Yates M-Plate, Rocca, ATT S1, and Blackbird (these are my main users). It's super smooth, efficient and comfortable. I can get BBS shaves with all these razors, but I have the most fun right now with the Henson. It really is a great razor.

Well, I just had the most enjoyable, comfortable shave yet with my Henson Ti22. I found an old packet of Try A Blade samples under my sink that I had forgotten about and decided to try a Rapira Swedish Super Steel blade. I've never used this particular blade and boy does it mate well with the Henson (for me anyway). It's very smooth and seemed to cut effortlessly. My soap for today was a freshly cut up La Toja soap stick smashed into a 4oz plastic container. This soap, razor, and blade combo, topped off with La Toja aftershave has left my face feeling like a million bucks. Glad I decided to purchase this Henson razor.....fantastic product.
After reading this post I went out and bought a 5 pack of Rapira Swedish Supersteel blades to give them a try myself. I was already extremely happy with the Astra Platinum SP blades the razor came with, but I must say, I didn’t think it could get much better than those, but the Rapiras really do improve things further. I still will have to see how they fare longevity-wise per blade, but the first two shaves with them have been superlative, with this second one this morning using Nuavia Verde by PannaCrema as my shaving cream (forgoing my normal pre and post shave products) was a perfect 3 pass BBS with no irritation or weepers. I am already convinced enough that I now have 100 blades inbound. I should also mention that the other great thing about the Rapiras, is that like the Astras, they are only about $0.10 a blade. Excellent stuff indeed when paired with the Henson (the one I used was the Ti22 Medium).

After reading this post I went out and bought a 5 pack of Rapira Swedish Supersteel blades to give them a try myself. I was already extremely happy with the Astra Platinum SP blades the razor came with, but I must say, I didn’t think it could get much better than those, but the Rapiras really do improve things further. I still will have to see how they fare longevity-wise per blade, but the first two shaves with them have been superlative, with this second one this morning using Nuavia Verde by PannaCrema as my shaving cream (forgoing my normal pre and post shave products) was a perfect 3 pass BBS with no irritation or weepers. I am already convinced enough that I now have 100 blades inbound. I should also mention that the other great thing about the Rapiras, is that like the Astras, they are only about $0.10 a blade. Excellent stuff indeed when paired with the Henson (the one I used was the Ti22 Medium).

Glad the Rapiras work well for you too. I am really liking the Swedish Super Steel....maybe the best pairing yet with the Ti22. Like you I also bought a 100 of them. They are lasting me about 4-5 shaves so far. Happy shaving.

Hi guys
Bought a Henson AL13 a while ago. Which is surprising because I generally don't care for aluminum razors, they just feel too light to me. Used it once or twice and just put it into my rack and forgot about it until yesterday. I thought WTH try it again. Lathered up with a Nice wool fat soap and had a 2 shave Feather as the blade.

Well, imagine my surprise when I started wheeling this thing around like a CART razor. Unbelievable. No fuss, just a great two pass shave with a bit of buffing. Some of my razors need attention and if you're not careful, they will bite. The Henson was just straight out get up and go. Wow.

If you're new to wet shaving this is a great option and even if you're a seasoned pro this is still a terrific addition to your rotation.

I do have a moustache and goatee so I really cant give a complete in depth review but for what and how I shave it's a winner. Easy to manoeuvre, easy angle and light, which with this razor doesn't bother me like some of the other aluminum razors I've tried.

Also noticed they have a Titanium razor as well, pricey and I was surprised they didn't offer up a SS razor first. But it's their company.

At any rate, I would definitely recommend this razor to anyone who enjoys a comfortable, efficient shave and as a bonus they come in a variety of colours.

Cheers
CED81E3A-FDB5-413B-A5BD-09EA0BD8C7AA_1_201_a.jpeg

I'm definitely on team Henson. Fantastic razors with superb quality/craftsmanship and customer service. I started with the AL13 and liked it....just couldn't get used to the light weight so I bought the Ti22 (medium) version. It's about double the weight of the aluminum razor and just about perfect. I get BBS with no problem and no irritation. This thing is surprisingly efficient. It looks a bit different, but it shaves great. I believe they target cartridge shavers trying to swing them over to DE, but I've been at this for over a decade and I love it. I sent back a Timeless Ti .95 as it didn't perform any better than the Henson so I couldn't rationalize keeping it.

I know this is a YMMV, but for me, the Henson is equal to, or better performing, than my Rocca, 3one6, Blackbird, ATT S1, and Yates. All of these razors shave great and are used reguluarly, but I keep reaching for the Henson at the moment.

Another huge Henson fan here. I started with the aluminum AL13 (medium) and loved it, but while extremely easy to use and efficient, I wanted a bit more weight, so moved to the titanium Ti22 (medium) and now am set for life.

I can easily recommend either Henson razor as they shave very similarly. Also, as a former cartridge user (their target demographic) I can attest that moving from a cartridge razor to either Henson is a breeze, and they work really well with some relatively inexpensive DE blades (the AL13 comes with a 5 pack of Astra SPs, for example, that work well with the razor among others). That said, while moving from a cartridge razor or OneBlade is a natural fit, *anyone* can enjoy the superb shaves the Henson razors give. I hate sounding like a salesman, but I am just shocked at how well designed these things are.

This is a great razor....and is a great option starting out when otherwise you would be only considering the DE89 or 34C.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Why do Henson threads keep getting moved from the main sections down to the club section? This seems to happen a lot.....weird. This doesn't appear to happen with any other brand. I believe Henson is over the target....

Why do Henson threads keep getting moved from the main sections down to the club section? This seems to happen a lot.....weird. This doesn't appear to happen with any other brand. I believe Henson is over the target....
I agree, I had this posted in the Double edge razor thread or at least that's where I started.

I am done buying razors. I have bought almost everything out there... straights, single edge, double edge, vintage, and new. Enjoyed the adventure but now I am getting rid of most gear and keeping about 8 to 10 razors I like. Enough is enough!

What's this... an add for Henson. Well I'm not familiar with Henson... just another gimmick razor. Then again I said that about the defender and it is one of the razors I am keeping (don't judge me!). OK, I'm gonna order the Henson but that is it... no more!!!

I know the pain. I just bought a Mag-T and haven’t even used it. It feels horrible to hold and the instructions say not to shave cross grain. Another dust collector.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
I am done buying razors. I have bought almost everything out there... straights, single edge, double edge, vintage, and new. Enjoyed the adventure but now I am getting rid of most gear and keeping about 8 to 10 razors I like. Enough is enough!

What's this... an add for Henson. Well I'm not familiar with Henson... just another gimmick razor. Then again I said that about the defender and it is one of the razors I am keeping (don't judge me!). OK, I'm gonna order the Henson but that is it... no more!!!

Just curious...what does your list of 8 to 10 keepers look like?

You will like the Henson. I have the Ti22 medium and it's one of (if not the best) razor in my den. It's mild yet very efficient, and for me, fun to shave with as it's different than all my other razors. If you buy the aluminum version just know that it is light weight....something I didn't care for so I bought the titanium version which is double the weight. Quality is very good and mfg tolerances are off the charts.

Let us know how you like it.

Top Bottom