What's new

Henckels fans--which steel do you prefer?

Been thinking about trying to pick up Henckels, either a 72 variation or maybe a 17. Do you like the Friodurs or the carbon steel better? Round point versus square? Any other considerations I should be aware of?

I’ve got a Friodur 17 (no carbon Henckles). it’s great steel, takes a great, smooth edge, and hones simply enough. I’d have no issue buying other Friodurs.

rounds are my least preferred point on a razor, so I’d go square, but that’s strictly personal preference.

I have a 17 and 14 Friodur. No carbon ones. These are such a pleasure to shave with and maintain an edge unlike any other razors I have.I also am not a fan of round points.

Been thinking about trying to pick up Henckels, either a 72 variation or maybe a 17. Do you like the Friodurs or the carbon steel better? Round point versus square? Any other considerations I should be aware of?

As far as their razors are concerned, J.A. Henckels are best remembered for their (stainless steel) Friodur razors.
These were ice-tempered stainless steel razors that for once proved that a stainless razor can be as easily honed as a carbon razor and they combined the best of carbon and stainless steel razors.

With more than 20 specimen, they are the second-largest group of razors in my stable and they are a joy to shave with.

Model numbers ending with “½” denote round points BTW, and those ending with “V” are ¼-hollow.

Square or round point is a personal preferences and may have to do with the area where you live in.
Europeans seem to have liked some kind of rounded points (incl. French, Spanish or Irish points), North Americans seem to have had a preference for square points.

The larger Friodur 17 is harder to find (and charged a premium) but does not necessarily shave any better than the more moderate (6/8) sized 72, 72½ and 472 models.
For a first Friodur, a 72, 72½ or a 472 would thus be a good starting point.

As a (very rough) rule of thumb look for a razor with ebony coloured scales.
Models with black scales - that date to the last years of J.A. Henckels straight razor production - are IMO not quite as good.
Also look for the (2) twin(s) symbol on the razor, those models with only one of the twins were lower-cost (usually carbon) models and are definitely not Friodurs.

Good luck with your search…

B.

Last edited:
I have both kinds. They are both very nice. They do not feel exactly the same but both are very capable steel. If I had to choose, I’d take the stainless as maintenance is easier and they do not make any compromises. I think the only stainless that feels better than the henckels is the Fried Herder.

I have both carbon steel and stainless steel - 4 in total, including carbon and stainless model 17s. They feel slightly different, and both can hold a really sharp edge. It's hard to describe the difference, but I will describe the carbon steel as feeling slightly more crisp. Excellent razors!

You should buy one of each.

A Friodur 472 is making its way towards me via pony express. I actually think I prefer a mild round point in general just because I have a tendency to stab myself next to the left ear due to depth perception problems on that side. From the seller's pics this one looks like the square point has been tamed just a little so maybe I won't donate too much blood. I'll be sure to post pics once it's here and honed.

A Friodur 472 is making its way towards me via pony express. I actually think I prefer a mild round point in general just because I have a tendency to stab myself next to the left ear due to depth perception problems on that side. From the seller's pics this one looks like the square point has been tamed just a little so maybe I won't donate too much blood. I'll be sure to post pics once it's here and honed.

I hope you will enjoy your Friodur(s) as much as I do.

If you don’t mind the smaller ⅝ size, the Friodur (round point) 70½ can be a terrific razor, is easier to find and also may be cheaper to get.

For a time, I had somewhat neglected my ⅝ razors in the past, but came to realize over time that this size has a lot going for it and was produced in such large numbers for a reason.

B.

I hope you will enjoy your Friodur(s) as much as I do.

If you don’t mind the smaller ⅝ size, the Friodur (round point) 70½ can be a terrific razor, is easier to find and also may be cheaper to get.

For a time, I had somewhat neglected my ⅝ razors in the past, but came to realize over time that this size has a lot going for it and was produced in such large numbers for a reason.

B.
I actually like 5/8 just fine but they're overrepresented in my (small) collection. My only hard and fast rule of acquisition is it has to be interesting. That might mean blade profile, scales, region, etc. My best shaver is still my grandpa's old Geneva, 5/8, round point, so I haven't really been looking for another that's too similar.

Straight Razor Acquisition Thread - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/straight-razor-acquisition-thread.418229/post-11365737

This came today. It fits all the "interesting" criteria. Quality product, 6/8 squarish point, stainless, decorated spine, and I was especially happy that it doesn't show much hone wear or abuse. It's quite a bit different than my other two 6/8. I'm excited to hone it and shave with it.

All my Henkels are square point
Made of carbon steel
The ones I'm using are Henkels 72 and 78
Very fine shavers
Harder than most of the razors that i have
Tricky to hone but ones job is done the edge is perfect
I could say the same for their pocket knifes

98EA1DC6-18BE-43C8-92A5-73771AC21AFA.jpeg
I

I have a 6/8 henckels.It’s really nice and for awhile was my everyday razor.
Mine is carbon steel.It took a great edge.
I didn’t know much about straights when I bought it,But I knew there was something special about the brand on my first shave.

As far as their razors are concerned, J.A. Henckels are best remembered for their (stainless steel) Friodur razors.
These were ice-tempered stainless steel razors that for once proved that a stainless razor can be as easily honed as a carbon razor and they combined the best of carbon and stainless steel razors.

With more than 20 specimen, they are the second-largest group of razors in my stable and they are a joy to shave with.

Model numbers ending with “½” denote round points BTW, and those ending with “V” are ¼-hollow.

Square or round point is a personal preferences and may have to do with the area where you live in.
Europeans seem to have liked some kind of rounded points (incl. French, Spanish or Irish points), North Americans seem to have had a preference for square points.

The larger Friodur 17 is harder to find (and charged a premium) but does not necessarily shave any better than the more moderate (6/8) sized 72, 72½ and 472 models.
For a first Friodur, a 72, 72½ or a 472 would thus be a good starting point.

As a (very rough) rule of thumb look for a razor with ebony coloured scales.
Models with black scales - that date to the last years of J.A. Henckels straight razor production - are IMO not quite as good.
Also look for the (2) twin(s) symbol on the razor, those models with only one of the twins were lower-cost (usually carbon) models and are definitely not Friodurs.

Good luck with your search…

B.

Sorry for my confusion here, but you mention your preference for models with ebony colored scales as opposed to black scales. I believe that "ebony" is often used as a synonym for black. What do you consider "ebony" colored scales?

Thanks.

Sorry for my confusion here, but you mention your preference for models with ebony colored scales as opposed to black scales. I believe that "ebony" is often used as a synonym for black. What do you consider "ebony" colored scales?

Thanks.

You are absolutely right.
My apologies, not sure what made me do this. :blushing:

Maybe I was humming Paul McCartney’s ‘Ebony and Ivory’ when I wrote this…

Strike out ‘ebony colored’ and replace with ‘(faux) ivory’…

B,

Last edited:
Reactions: GMM
You are absolutely right.
My apologies, not sure what made me do this. :blushing:

Maybe I was humming Paul McCartney’s ‘Ebony and Ivory’ when I wrote this…

Strike out ‘ebony colored’ and replace with ‘(faux) ivory’…

B,
Thanks. That's what I thought you meant but wanted to be sure. "Ebony and Ivory" were going through my head too.
BTW, I've seen comments from some noting a preference for Henckel's with the model stamp on the tail rather than on the tang. Do you know if this have to do with the era of manufacture?
And lastly, does the absence of the term "Friodur" on the scales indicate the razor is carbon steel?

I have both carbon steel and stainless steel - 4 in total, including carbon and stainless model 17s. They feel slightly different, and both can hold a really sharp edge. It's hard to describe the difference, but I will describe the carbon steel as feeling slightly more crisp. Excellent razors!

You should buy one of each.
I agree with Frank…you can’t really go wrong with either! The carbon steel Henckels 14 is a sublime razor, but so are all of the Friodur razors I have owned.

The grinds on both are great, the steel on both is great, and I suspect that you will enjoy both!

Top Bottom