What's new

Help with razor ID

I'm looking for some help with identifying this vintage DE. Obviously it is a Bakelite handle Tech knock-off, right down to the triangle-shaped slots on the base plate. But it's not a Tech. The only mark is the "NP" trademark on the base of the handle, the head is unmarked. Anyone have any reconnaissance on this one?

IMG_7777.JPG
IMG_7776.JPG
IMG_7778.JPG

Last edited:
I'm looking for some help with identifying this vintage DE. Obviously it is a Bakelite handle Tech knock-off, right down to the triangle-shaped slots on the base plate. But it's not a Tech. The only mark is the "NP" trademark on the base of the handle, the head is unmarked. Anyone have any reconnaissance on this one?

View attachment 1027668View attachment 1027669View attachment 1027670
There are a number of brandings for this razor, the earliest may be the Club Razor. Rather than being a Tech knock-off it may have preceded it (Waits suggests mid 30s). Or not. He dates the Hospital variant to after 1944. Yours may be a somewhat later variant.

It's a fine shaving razor whatever its origin.

proxy.php

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
There are a number of brandings for this razor, the earliest may be the Club Razor. Rather than being a Tech knock-off it may have preceded it (Waits suggests mid 30s). Or not. He dates the Hospital variant to after 1944. Yours may be a somewhat later variant.

proxy.php

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Thank you; that's very helpful. I have seen the Club version before, but I didn't make the connection. Anyone have any idea what the "NP" trademark on this version stands for?

I concur. I took it for a spin this morning and it delivered a really excellent shave. It may look like a Tech, bit it doesn't shave like one. I'd call it medium aggressive, with a noticeable amount of blade feel, though nothing scary. With a very light gauge stamped plate and a zamac cap, it won't win any awards for build quality. But blade alignment is dead on and the geometry is excellent. It always amazes me to come across one of these generic vintage DEs, that probably sold literally for nickels and dimes in its day, but delivers a shave that is right up there with some of our current high end stuff.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Interesting razor, I have nothing on its origins. Congratulations, I like it.

Top Bottom