What's new

Help with injectors

After shaving with a safty razor for a little over a year I think I want to give a schick injector a try. What model, and brand of blade , do I need to get? I doubt one could ever replace my new improved, but the injectors are so cheap I figured why not give one a try.

Ps How do I id the recomemded model?

Since I am an injector expert (translation - I had my first ever injector shave this morning:tongue:) I will tell you what I found.

I bought Schick and Personna blades from RazorBladeRefills. As with any replaceable blade razor, I figure I will have to try blades until I find what I like. But I started with the Schicks and maybe got lucky since it was the gentlest shave I've ever had - nearly the smoothest too. I also have some Pellas on the way. Schicks seem to be liked here.

I have a Schick L1 razor;

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=109160

when new to using an Injector go really easy! No pressure until you get used to it or you'll cut yourself to bits. Otherwise, fantastic shaves.

The easiest to find will be the G series razors (with the smooth tapered plastic handle (often advertised as "bakelite") and stamped head with visible spring). E series look almost identical and seem to be almost identical for shaves.

As others have noted, these are supposedly the most aggressive. The important thing is to make sure that the head assembly is tight. Occasionally, you find a specimen in which the spring preload has been relieved through attempts to clean out the head. If the head rattles at all, the razor will not shave properly and can bite you. It can be fixed with the use of pliers and courage. :smile:

I have found my G series to be one of my favorite shaves.

- Chris

They are well liked by many here, I want to try one too (bought one back in the 70's, and was unable to figure the loading properly, so I returned it :redface:).

As for your current favorite, I just had my first shave with a New Improved, and I loved it!

Please let us know how the injector works out for you. I know where a nice looking one is sitting in an antique shop that is reasonable.

My first Injector was a "type I1" and I thought it was a great first Injector razor. It is now my travel razor, and I often alternate between it and my 500. I also shave with Schick-branded blades made in China (I get mine from drugstore.com).

Top Bottom