What's new

Help with ID on this stone.

Gentlemen,

Received this stone in the mix with others and not sure what it is, it seems rougher than my Apache finisher so not sure what to do with it.

View attachment 545127

Also got this one in the box as well

$IMG_2279.jpg

My other stones are Naniwa SS 1K, 5K, Cerax 8K, Sharpton 12K and 16K Glass then Apache so not sure where these fit into the mix, FWIW I am just getting into honing so pardon the dumb questions.

You're going to need to take more pics. One shot is not going to give enough info. Get some well lit end shots, side shots and try to slurry the stone and get a shot of that. From there give us an idea how fast it cuts, etc.

You're going to need to take more pics. One shot is not going to give enough info. Get some well lit end shots, side shots and try to slurry the stone and get a shot of that. From there give us an idea how fast it cuts, etc.

$IMG_2339.jpg$IMG_2340.jpg$IMG_2341.jpg$IMG_2342.jpg$IMG_2343.jpg

$IMG_2344.jpg$IMG_2345.jpg$IMG_2346.jpg$IMG_2347.jpg

They are natural, looks to be Japanese but without markings it's hard to tell. Could be chu, could be botan, could be anything really. That goes for both of them.

The small one is a common Nagura - I've seen them with this stamp on fleapay in the past, and one of the online woodworking sites used to sell them up until about 4-5 yr ago. Origin and grade has always been questionable - only way to know is to test it. It's my opinion that these are tool-grade stones for sharpening chisels. How good they are past that though, is anyone's guess. I've had one here - wasn't a wonderful piece but not problematic or entirely terrible either.
The large one looks like some sort of Jnat - but it's hard to say for sure. My guess is that it was bought together with the Nagura.

I think Keith has got a pretty good handle on it. Looks like it could be a JNat. Have you tried raising a slurry in it and test honing your practice razor at all?

Those layers and that rust "bloom" in the corner look Hindo to me. Do Jnats get layers like that? I can't recall seeing one with them, but I'm sure it's not impossible. I can say that the layers match up with hindo's I own as does the tendency for those unusual circular stains to develop.

Oh yeah, I didn't consider a big chunk of nagura. That'd be very cool.

And while it may not be related to particular layer, my Koma, Tenjyou and one of my Mejiro's all have a vaguely similar layering effect to this.

That said, it'd be odd in my opinion to see them cut exactly along the layering as we see here, that is the main thing that makes me suspect Hindo.

Last edited:
Normally - you would not see Awasedo type Jnats cut with layers showing on top.
However - some softer stones - including some Aoto-types are cut that way, they're called Masame or straight grain.
The splash in the corner wouldn't be all that unusual to find on many Jnats. The coloring is 'off' - the chips don't look right either. Same for the cut on that one end. Could very well be one of the bizillion of tool-grade Jnats that we never see. Or not.

Def a mystery stone - I wouldn't rule any possibility out.

I have tried rubbing the smaller one onto the natural but cannot get a slurry worked up ? Would I have to soak both before hand for a few minutes ?

They both are kinda cool looking especially the smaller chunkier one with the stamping so if I don't use it maybe a cool display ?

maybe soak the working surface of the smaller one for a 'short' time. Not the entire stone.

Stamp comparison

$Natural Nagura Stone.jpg

Top Bottom