What's new

Help with Grandfather's Wade & Butcher

Good Morning, everyone!

Just got back from a trip to Michigan to see all the family. While we were at my uncle's house, we looked through some of my Grandfather's stuff from WWII, and a few other old things. There was a small box with some old pocket knives, but there was also a straight razor in there. Of course, I know nothing about straight razors (I use safety razors), so I took a couple pictures to share with you guys, hoping you might be able to help me out.

I've done some Google searches on the brand, Wade & Butcher, but didn't find any resources (most results were links to various shaving forum posts). Sadly, I didn't think to take any measurements, but I did get pictures of the overall razor and a close up of the marking. There were no marks on the handle that I could see, and it also felt somewhat flimsy (perhaps very worn down wood or horn?).

It's still at my uncle's house up in Michigan, but I'm thinking of having him sending it to me so I can send it to an expert for restoration and to try using it myself. It's clearly got some wear on it, as the markings are nowhere near as crisp as some of the ones I've seen when I searched this forum.

Anyway, here are the two pictures, so any help y'all can provide on identification, age, etc., would be greatly appreciated.

full

full

Last edited by a moderator:
Send it off to Mycarver. He will do a proper restore. Oh yeah it looks to be from 1858-1890 or so, has a barbers notch and likely a 5/8-6/8. A great razor to shave with. :)

W&B is a quality brand, but perhaps not as sought after as some others from what I have gathered here. I am by no means even close to being an expert.

That is a very neat tangible connection to your grandfather and that would be a good idea to clean it up or restore it (I'd lean to just a good cleaning, but that's just me), have it honed, and shave with pride.

Handle is horn and it can be freshened up with some neatsfoot or mineral oil.

Thanks for posting. Definitely get ahold of that heirloom and enjoy it. You can shave with it and pass along to the next generation.

wade and butcher is a fine brand. I use a w&b wedge and I love shaving with it. I own torrey, simmons hdwe., wm stinton
(rare),cattaguris,lakeside,blue steel, boker,dame Stoddard,fredrick Reynolds,dbl ducks, and a few others, the wade was what I learned on and I still enjoy using a wade the most. the first one was involved in an accident many yrs ago. clean it up polish it up and use it. however, I will warn you that once you start you will be addicted for life. there is no going back. if I see a razor I like I buy it, if I think I can repair it to shave condition I buy it. the blade looks shave worthy with a hone and polish, don't see any major hone wear, no smile no frown so it may be a excellent find.

Top Bottom