What's new

help with further information on Gillette aristocrat, did I pay to much?

well I am just getting into this style of shaving.. I kept seeing the mug shaving soap when I was at the store and I would always pick it up to smell it because the scent was so pleasant. Anyways, I decided to start with a vintage Gillette razor and consequently won this bid yesterday.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Gil...=&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

From what I was able to research it seems to be a 48-51 aristocrat, can anyone provide more information on it?
I paid $51.07 which from examples I saw elsewhere seemed like a pretty good deal, how did I do?
Thanks in advance!

*I'd always look at the 'completed' listings for similiar items before making a bid.

imo, For a non-adjustable you got it for a fair price. Only slight marring to the head otherwise plating still looks perfect, plus your got a box and blue blades.

Will this be a work horse or display queen?

well I am just getting into this style of shaving.. I kept seeing the mug shaving soap when I was at the store and I would always pick it up to smell it because the scent was so pleasant. Anyways, I decided to start with a vintage Gillette razor and consequently won this bid yesterday.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Gil...=&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

From what I was able to research it seems to be a 48-51 aristocrat, can anyone provide more information on it?
I paid $51.07 which from examples I saw elsewhere seemed like a pretty good deal, how did I do?
Thanks in advance!

I don't see where $51 is too bad for a good condition Aristocrat. There are other razors that would have been cheaper but $51 for a lifetime of shaving isn't bad IMO.

As for that soap you keep smelling at the store, if it is Williams just buy it as a hand soap, it takes a lot of skill to successfully lather that soap. I would go to Wal-Mart or Walgreens and pick up some VDH for shaving. You will also need a brush, I use a cheap Burma Shave brush, it sheds but should last you a year or so. VDH also sells a boar brush, Walgreens should have one. Don't buy blades at Walgreens though, they charge $5 for a $2 product -- Wal-Mart sells either Personna or Wilkinson Sword DE blades for about $2, either will be fine for now until you can order a blade sampler. These packs have ten blades so buy two or three packs to get started (a blade will last about two shaves total). I order blades (and soaps/creams) from www.Bestshave.net but shipments from Turkey are taking about seven weeks to arrive currently so you may want to pay more and order from a US or UK based website. If you are willing to wait the seven weeks you can put together a good sampler pack from Bestshave for about $10-$12 plus shipping, getting five or ten blades each from ten different brands (I don't recommend the one blade of each packs -- you could get a dud blade of a very good brand and get a bad impression unnecessarily). If you go the Bestshave route, order some Arko creams, an Arko stick and a couple of other soaps to try (and you would have a six month supply of soaps/creams this way as well). When you want higher-line brands (I recommend Proraso tub) Connaught Shaving is a good place to deal with (www.connaughtshaving.com), they sell for about 75 per cent of the prices of US based sellers and shipping is very reasonable but remember that prices are posted in British Pounds (the price in parenthesis is the non UK residents price, overseas customers are exempt from UK VAT tax). Currently one British Pound is about $1.60 US.

Last edited:
wow thanks for all the replies, it's gonna be a work horse at least to start with.. if I really like it then I would anticipate owning a few different razors in good time..
Thanks for the advice Mharris, I went ahead and ordered a variety of supplies from that website, I can get some things locally to last until I get the order in.

Thats an excellent price
proxy.php

Welcome to B&B Rakuny.

The method used in attaching the head on your razor suggests a date close to or in 1950.
Many feel the Aristocrats from the 40s and 50s to be among best made at Gillette's zenith.
Enjoy.....

wow thanks for all the replies, it's gonna be a work horse at least to start with.. if I really like it then I would anticipate owning a few different razors in good time..
Thanks for the advice Mharris, I went ahead and ordered a variety of supplies from that website, I can get some things locally to last until I get the order in.

You are welcome. Enjoy the shaves and the razor. Hopefully the Turkish Post has straightened out their delays and your package doesn't take the full seven weeks to arrive. You should be very happy with your Bestshave purchase once it arrives.

Top Bottom