What's new

Help with First Straight Razor

So, I've been wanting to buy my first straight razor and like most its a little over whelming as far as options. I've been looking around and I've seen a few razors I like but I'd like to get some feedback from the more experienced straight razor folks.

The first 2 razors I've found at Griffith Shaving Goods;

1) Simmon Hardware Keen Kutter Royal 5/8 Full Hollow - $79
2) Gebr. Weyersberg 13/16 Quarter Hollow - $129

I've also had a member offer me the following
1) H. Boker (I believe its a 1101??) 5/8 Extra full Hollow - $110

All razors have a round point with black scales and seem to be in excellent shape and the razors from GSG are restored so they really look great. The razor from the private seller looks good and doesn't have any rust or pitting. All razors are also "Shave ready". I know GSG has a good reputation and the private party is an experienced honer so I'd expect that razor to be shave ready as well. The Simmons is obviously the cheapest but the price tag for the other razors isn't a complete deal breaker, just wondering if they're worth the extra money?? Also I know many people recommend the 5/8 with a round point so should I stay away from the Weyersberg 13/16? Of the 3 H. Boker is the only name I recognize

One last thing, do you have to have a certain amount of posts in order to post in the BST section? I was going to post a WTB but its not giving me an option to post

Thanks

Even a $5 gold dollar will shave well. So what is worth the money is the emotion the razor brings you. Get the one that has the most appeal to you. Neither the size nor the brand matter that much. The round point is a good thing as a beginner but even that is negotiable. On a square point, you just go slower on the throat and pay more attention.

All sound like good choices. I recently started with a Ralf Aust 5/8” round point and that is working well for me. I think a new production, shave ready, 5/8” round point is a good place to start. Get something you like and you use it more often. The first razor is likely to suffer from less than perfect honing and shaving technique so it’s best not to start with and irreplaceable vintage razor or something so expensive that it hurts to replace it. The most important thing is to get it sharp and start using it.

On the point of getting and keeping it sharp you will also need a leather strop and basic honing set up to get started.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
When considering which SR to buy as your first, forget looks, brand and even price.

First decide on; point style, size and grind. Those are probably the most important considerations. Once that is decided, only the consider looks, brand, price, etc..

Many here (not necessarily me) recommend as a first SR, one with a French (round) point, 5/8 blade with a full or nearly full hollow grind. Then find your new SR by considering the others. Higher price does not normally mean a correspondingly better shaving SR.

I suggest that you buy two SR's. New SR's rarely come truly shave-ready. Get one of your SR's professionally honed. 5hat will allow you to experience was a SR is all about. Use the other to learn blade maintenance on.

You are one the right track buying used. Much better value. The ones you listed are in very nice condition.

I recommend buying from the BST and members here. I would get one round point and one square point (with the point slightly muted/rounded.

If you want even greater value, you can look at razors that aren’t as pretty. For example those that had rust polished off, or replacement scales. The key is a rust free pit free edge.

Regarding the G. Weyersberg, it is a quarter hollow which is a thicker stiffer blade than a full hollow. You may like that and you may not. If you look at the 11th picture on the website, you will see what quarter hollow looks like.

Others can advise you better if that matters for a beginner.

I suggest that you buy two SR's. New SR's rarely come truly shave-ready. Get one of your SR's professionally honed. 5hat will allow you to experience was a SR is all about. Use the other to learn blade maintenance on.

Thanks for the reply. I'm really thinking about buying the Boker and a new Ralf Aust from Razor Emporium

Regarding the G. Weyersberg, it is a quarter hollow which is a thicker stiffer blade than a full hollow. You may like that and you may not. If you look at the 11th picture on the website, you will see what quarter hollow looks like.

Others can advise you better if that matters for a beginner.

Thanks for this info! This seems to be the razor I like the best.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Thanks for the reply. I'm really thinking about buying the Boker and a new Ralf Aust from Razor Emporium
If you do and both razors are shaveable, shave with one 5 times and 5 times with the other. Clean leather strop between each shave. Then select the one with the "dullest" edge and get that one professionally sharpened.

If properly professionally sharpened, you will then understand the true enjoyment of the gentlemanly art of SR shaving.

While working through your first 10 or so SR shaves, read up on how to use a pasted balsa strop:

Get you pasted balsa strop equipment sorted. Then, when your pro-sharpened blade is returned, you can start refining the edge on your non-pro-sharpened blade while also maintaining the edge of your pro-sharpened blade.

If all goes well, you will never have to hone those SR's again.

Last edited:
Don't sweat the square point. My first square point was bought by accident. I liked it so much that I though I'd try a square heel. Since then all of my razors have both.

Top Bottom