What's new

Help with dating vintage Gillette Industries brush

I have been wanting to date this shaving brush to help determine which vintage razor set I might pair it with. There are a few clues in an advertisement from Boots Drugs Which was a UK pharmacy business. The brush indicates on the bottom it was manufactured in Britain. The Gillette shaving cream has a distinctive logo but I have yet to sort out a date for any of it. I see the razor, but it seems tough to date on its own.

Any thoughts on the year, and then which Gillette razor this would be? I thought of posting in the DE section and the Soaps section, but thought it is the Brush I want to identify so I ended up here. Also, what are opinions on brush hair type? Any help with the clues would be appreciated.

IMG_5551.jpeg
IMG_5552.jpeg
IMG_5553.jpeg

I have been wanting to date this shaving brush to help determine which vintage razor set I might pair it with. There are a few clues in an advertisement from Boots Drugs Which was a UK pharmacy business. The brush indicates on the bottom it was manufactured in Britain. The Gillette shaving cream has a distinctive logo but I have yet to sort out a date for any of it. I see the razor, but it seems tough to date on its own.

Any thoughts on the year, and then which Gillette razor this would be? I thought of posting in the DE section and the Soaps section, but thought it is the Brush I want to identify so I ended up here. Also, what are opinions on brush hair type? Any help with the clues would be appreciated.

View attachment 1746837View attachment 1746838View attachment 1746839
It's pre-war, probably late 30's. I'm in the UK and very familiar with the Boots chain and it's history.

I think what we have here is a kind of visual portmanteau of existing Gillette products that Boots stocked at the time in the advert. Notice it says 'Gillette shaving sets'.

Here is a 1936 Gilette England advert for a traveller set
proxy.php

I think this is your brush.

The shaving cream is a puzzle. I can't find a traveller set from the UK at the time with cream. Although it was available. in the US and I'm pretty sure in the UK. Here is a 1937 advert from the US showing Gillette cream
proxy.php

I think the razor represents a New. It does not appear to be a TTO open comb which were becoming increasingly common by the late 30's in both the UK and US.

It may be the artist had an example of this Belmont De Luxe, as a 'model'. It looks similar.
proxy.php

So, I would say 1937-9 and a mix of Gillette items, representing a range of Gillette items Boots stocked rather than a specific kit.

The brush would pair perfectly with any of the 1930's UK traveller sets.

Last edited:
That advert nails it down well for dating the brush. Your logic is good regarding the Boots ad being a portmanteau of items! (You Brits are great with English. I am pretty sure I have never been involved in any conversation with’portmanteau’ in it - and now with three occurences. 🤓)

That is a lovely late 30’s Traveller kit in the advert. I dont think I had keyed into there being Traveller sets that late in the Gillette history. But there you have it! The New you have pictured indeed seems very similar to the Boots ad so the brush would be a good contemporary match for it as well. And, I see now about the Traveller sets likely containing the brush. I will keep my eyes peeled and ready should I come across one.

Done and dusted! thanks

Top Bottom