What's new

Help will a fontain pen work for me

I know by reading the postings here we have a few fountain pen fans, maybe someone can give me some advice here. I currently have a Waterman Laureat Blue Marble with a medium point (gold nib) it is similar to the phileas pens in blue marble only a more thinner pen, it is a cartridge refill pen. My problem is sometimes I will go maybe 4-5 days without using it as I don't use a pen too much at all but when I do I would prefer it be something nice but what is happening is the ink is constantly drying out and the pen is hard to restart sometimes down right impossible. I have tried different Waterman cartridges and even flushing the pen with water neither of which seems to be a permanent solution.

So finally getting to it my question is this, since I write so little is that causing the problem and would I have the same problem with any style fountain pen and therefore they most likely won't work for me or could it be due to old ink cartridges. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Are you leaving the nib exposed to air by any chance? Also, how does the pen rest when it is idle (i.e. upright or flat)? I have a Parker fountain pen that sits for weeks at a time when I'm busy which lays flat on my writing desk with it's cap in place and I have never had problems with the ink drying out. It could be the ink, but with cartridges you don't have a lot of choice these days. I am no expert by any stretch of the imagination, but I do love fountain pens (and I once may have stayed at a Holiday Inn Express...)

- R

You´re not bounded by cartridges. I have a bottle of ink and refill the cartridge with a injection needle. Much cheaper as well.

You´re not bounded by cartridges. I have a bottle of ink and refill the cartridge with a injection needle. Much cheaper as well.

Well said. Get a refillable cartridge and you can then refill your pen as needed from a nice glass inkwell.

As to drying out, it varies from pen to pen and also depends on what ink you are using. The nice thing about an inkwell, is that you can dip a dry nib into the ink and you're off to the races. My Rotring dries out if I don't use it for a couple of weeks. But a quick 'dip' is all it takes to get writing once more.

I would say that, if after 4 days a flush of hot water is insufficient to get your ink following again, you have a problem and should dry another source of ink, especially if under frequent use the pen works fine.

I'm not familiar with the Laureat, but pens with screw-on caps tend to have less of a problem with this, as opposed to Phileas-type snap-ons (although my Rotring, which snaps on, makes a tight seal and it does not have this problem).

Thanks for the replies.

It is a snap on cap seals very tight and I always have it capped, I do have a tendency of carrying it in my shirt pocket that would be of course with the nib up, perhaps I need to lay it flat when not in use more often, after flushing and with a new cartridge in, it does write good and keeps writing if I keep using it but as I said above sometimes I won't have the need to use any pen for a few days, I do think I will look into an ink well and I guess a converter as it is a nice pen and I hate not to be able to use it.

A piston-fill pen with bottled ink might work better. I have a Montblanc Meisterstucke and it has no problems going over a week between uses sometimes.

I have a Waterman Phileas, and I carry it around in my shirt pocket. I use it on average every couple of days. I have not had any problem with ink drying. At most, the first letter will have to be retouched, because the ink wasn't flowing. One thing you might try is laying the pen on its side when you are not using it. That might improve flow a little.

FPs should be stored with the tip up (or higher than the ink) when not in use - even a couple of degrees of tilt will do.

A properly working FP should start up just fine (possibly with a few taps of the nib on the paper) after being stored capped for 4 days (regardless of whether it is a screw or clip cap - I have Lamy Safaris that start up just fine after weeks or more of inactivity).

You mentioned that you were using cartridges - what type? I find that the ink in the bottles works better than the cartridges. Rather than they syringe technique, any decent pen shop can sell you a cartridge converter for your pen - Waterman makes a very good one. This will allow you to draw ink from the bottle into the converter through the nib. Not only does a converter allow you to use whatever ink you want, the action of drawing the ink through the nib helps clear/flush the nib/feed system in a way that doesn't happen with a cartridge.

Hope this helps.

I have a lovely marito picazo (spelling, its a lake in italy)

proxy.php

ultimately i would love a mont blanc but at $690.. its a bit out of my price range (pen above was.. $75 or so)

As for ink drying yes it will dry in a pen, and you need to tap it or shake it a bit to get it going again, but no more than that.

Pierce

am using waterman cartridges only both blue and black same problem, I am going to look around for a waterman converter as your guys suggested and thanks!

...Rather than they syringe technique, any decent pen shop can sell you a cartridge converter for your pen ... Not only does a converter allow you to use whatever ink you want, the action of drawing the ink through the nib helps clear/flush the nib/feed system in a way that doesn't happen with a cartridge...

Exactly.

proxy.php

This is the kind of thing I have in all my fountain pens and I would never go back to disposables.

Check out http://www.amazon.com/WAT56010-CONV...=UTF8&s=office-products&qid=1204133457&sr=8-1 for the Waterman converter Amazon lists. $6

I have a lovely marito picazo (spelling, its a lake in italy)

ultimately i would love a mont blanc but at $690.. its a bit out of my price range (pen above was.. $75 or so)

As for ink drying yes it will dry in a pen, and you need to tap it or shake it a bit to get it going again, but no more than that.

Pierce

If you want a piece of overpriced bling that you can write with, get a MB, if you want a pen that writes great get a Pelikan 800 ($300), if you want a pen that represents great price/value, get a Lamy 2000 ($125). These are all personal views, but the Pelikan is generally the benchmark against which all quality FPs are judged in terms of writing qualities and the Lamy 2000 gets consistently good reviews as a great pen for the buck. I have an 800 and a 2000 and both are fantastic pens.

The MBs are some of the most over-rated fountain pens and I've seen very few favourable reviews of MBs from people who actually do a lot of writing with them.

Just my $0.02.

The MBs are some of the most over-rated fountain pens and I've seen very few favourable reviews of MBs from people who actually do a lot of writing with them.

I tried a couple of different models out on a few occasions and I tend to agree with your assessment. I found them over priced for what you get, and I've never found a model that I liked more my Parker...

- R

If you want a piece of overpriced bling that you can write with, get a MB, if you want a pen that writes great get a Pelikan 800 ($300), if you want a pen that represents great price/value, get a Lamy 2000 ($125). These are all personal views, but the Pelikan is generally the benchmark against which all quality FPs are judged in terms of writing qualities and the Lamy 2000 gets consistently good reviews as a great pen for the buck. I have an 800 and a 2000 and both are fantastic pens.

Just my $0.02.

I will agree with you about the mont blanc, i have read that they are too delicate and flimsy to write with on a day to day basis and cannot take a hammering.

Ive even heard a parker 45 rated above a mont blanc in terms of day to day usage.

Pierce

P.S the pen above is a: Campo Marzio

Parkers are built like tanks. they're what the President uses to sign legislation. If you've ever noticed, they use about 6 separate pens, which they then give away/donate to the Smithsonian/steal.

BTW, fountain pen noobs...NEVER EVER take a loaded fountain pen on an airplane or your pocket will transform into a Rorschack Inkblot Test (i.e., they leak).

Parkers are built like tanks. they're what the President uses to sign legislation. If you've ever noticed, they use about 6 separate pens, which they then give away/donate to the Smithsonian/steal.

BTW, fountain pen noobs...NEVER EVER take a loaded fountain pen on an airplane or your pocket will transform into a Rorschack Inkblot Test (i.e., they leak).

Parkers are another brand that represents good value - some of the vintage models are terrific.

As for the FP on the airplane, there are a couple of makes that will make the trip, but for the vast majority, its a no-no!

A piston-fill pen with bottled ink might work better. I have a Montblanc Meisterstucke and it has no problems going over a week between uses sometimes.

While I've made my views on the MB pens known, I agree that piston fill is the way to go - my Pelikan and Lamy hold massive amounts of ink.

I use a Parker sonnet with a gold nib (about $100) and don't use it for a couple weeks sometimes and it doesn't dry up. I have a more expensive Parker Duofold and go months without using it and again it doesn't dry up, but if it's been long enough I usually soak the components in cold water.

I use a converter with bottled ink. But you should soak your pen components in water (NOT HOT WATER - I warped a really nice Omas celluloid pen once doing that - cold water works just as well and won't mess up your parts) every now and then overnight to keep it clean.

It could be the ink isn't very good too. Feel free to use different brands of bottled ink when you buy the converter - you absolutely do NOT need to use the same brand of ink as the pen.

PS: If anyone ever gets a chance to buy a Pelikan GO/M75 for a reasonable price, do not pass up the opportunity.

The GO was a "school" pen made by Pelican in the 1980's/90's. Its got a steel nib and is made of metal and plastic - nothing fancy, but it has a very good piston fill. They're getting harder to find, but I bought one (NOS) on e-bay for about $15 shipped from the EC several years ago and its an amazing value - truly impressive to see a company put out a mass-market FP that works so well at such a reasonable price.

Top Bottom