What's new

Help Stop the Bleeding

Styptic Pencil. Any will work.

Potassium Alum only. Good value, Osma. Best value, Lafes.

Both used with cold water.

I have Ammonium alum and can't tell them apart from the Potassium. Some say they sting a bit more, but seems comparable with mine. Does the job, costs the same, so whatever is locally available is best IMO.

I find styptic pencil much better than alum block. It stops bleeding instantly, unkess its a big gash!

Next time you're at the grocery store, look for powdered Alum or McCormicks Alum in the spice aisle. Much better than styptic pencils or blocks. Just dip a damp or wet finger in and apply to the weeper, or make a paste for deeper cuts. When it's dry, just brush it off. If you have an alum block you don't like, chip off some, put it in a baggie and pulverize it with a hammer. It works the same as powdered alum. In the 1960's, powdered shaving alum was sold in stores. Problem was a container lasted forever. I still have some left from 1964. Pencils (which break) and blocks make companies more money, so they discontinued the powdered stuff.

Although we all have been bitten at one time or another, I think the question you should ask yourself is why are you bleeding? How often are you bleeding? Is it technique? Or equipment? That having been said, Styptic pencil is the way to go for "cuts" and "weepers". Alum (in my opinion) is a good post shave and will definitely help with weepers but I feel it's more of a way to close open pores and I use it as an "indicator/gauge" of how harsh or comfortable my straights are shaving me. The same applied to my DE. As far as brands go I currently use Gentleman Jon alum, and have a Jumbo Styptic pencil from Walmart for the (OS) moments. I have used Maggard's alum block, Tai Alum body crystal, and currently I have a deodorant Crystal purchased at Walgreens I tried it on my face when it was freshly unpackaged it worked just as good as the others did (it's made the same way of the same stuff) so... Choose one get a Styptic and have happy shaves!

Top Bottom