What's new

Help Stabilize A Sliding Puck

What do you recommend I try to prevent a puck which has shrunken from sliding around in the metal container while I’m lathering? Can I heat it in a microwave (removed from tub) for a few seconds(or how many) just to soften a little bit and then press it back in the tub pressing down enough to reform it so it touched all sides? Thanks!

I would not nuke it.

I tend to shave a little off of it and press the shavings around the sides to stop movement.

You might be able to soak the bottom of puck for a bit then press it into the tin and let dry.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

I would not nuke it.

I tend to shave a little off of it and press the shavings around the sides to stop movement.

You might be able to soak the bottom of puck for a bit then press it into the tin and let dry.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk
Why not nuke it?

What’s worked for me is soaking the puck in container for 10-20 minutes. Drain, and then let dry. Should be stuck after a couple hours.

I grate my soaps and press them into the container of choice. I do this with both glycerin and tallow based soaps. This process avoids the potential damage to the soap caused by the microwave.

Good point, @ackvil

I would like to amend my previous statement by adding I don't bother grating soaps with the consistency of say Arko or Cella since they're soft enough to just press into the container. Hard soaps on the other hand...

Last edited:
If all the previously mentioned options don't work to re seat the puck, then I just add it to my ever growing frankensoap collection.
Same here. Any soap that refuses to stop twirling around or has dwindled into a skinny ring just gets dumped into a mug containing a Williams puck. Interesting scent combinations can be found this way.

I can go for weeks or months between uses of some soaps. As they dry out, I find many shrink and break free from the tub. If I want to use a soap that slips, I just extend my thumb over the lip of the tub or tin and hold the puck in place while I load the brush. It is a little messy, but it works. Of course, if you are using one of the deeper tubs or a mug, your thumb might not reach. Then I would try one of the methods already mentioned. Glycerin based soaps can be melted, but most soaps will be ruined.

I would just lather it and then let it sit in the lather. When the lather dries, it will sort of glue the puck to the container.
I personally wouldnt nuke it in a metal container because you could ruin your microwave. Metal in a microwave is a no-no and if its a tallow soap, you shouldnt microwave it anyways.

Top Bottom