What's new

Help me simplify from my Rockwell 6S

Thanks. That's a really interesting piece of reading. I may try a Karve someday. Dunno. I can't see buying another modern razor at this point as the improvement would be marginal at best, it would seem, over the GC84. Never say never, though.
Here are some pictures I just took of both.
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php

QRTAS

I've been evaluating for a month or so and came to conclusion that for me, Yates YPM 921-M beats the Rockwell 6S (plate 6). Same efficiency with better comfort. This also bring a peace of mind since Rockwell had me cast away razors such as Blackbird, Dart, ATT R1, 3one6 and Rocca simply because of the perceived comfort.

I hope this help, the Yates is an excellent razor at a very fair price point.

I've been evaluating for a month or so and came to conclusion that for me, Yates YPM 921-M beats the Rockwell 6S (plate 6). Same efficiency with better comfort. This also bring a peace of mind since Rockwell had me cast away razors such as Blackbird, Dart, ATT R1, 3one6 and Rocca simply because of the perceived comfort.

I’m glad I’m not the only one who has felt this way. The head is more agile than the rockwell and more efficient than plate 6 while feeling like plate 4.

I’m waiting for the H plate which should be fantastic.

When I started to use my Fatip Gold Grande, I sold my GC.068OC, GC.084, which are excellent razors. The Grande was that much better in balance, efficiency, and weight. It is solid brass and plated. There is also much excitement about Lo Storto the slant. I recently acquired but have not shaved with yet. You could probably have the two of them for less than a GC.
It has to be said that Fatip make some handsome razors! I did have the Gentile for a while but it was very mild and blade alignment was a phrase this razor had never heard of. Looked awesome though 😎

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
I would look at the Karve Brass line. You could buy a base plate and top cap and get a cheap handle from West Coast Shaving for $65-$75.

Looks like Italian Barber has the .84 GC SB available if you get it with certain handles.

The blue version looks ace! This is what I have lined up for tomorrow's shave:
View attachment 1205392
I’m considering buying a blue 6s just to have a second 6s. My favourite razor hands down. I have a karve and it doesn’t get any love.

That’s a great idea. I have four Fatips. Not because they are the BEST razors out there. All razors are. I have two Gold Grande‘s with accepted quality control issues, mediocre blade alignment. These are excellent razors For My Shaving Style .
All razors are excellent finding the one that can shave the best for you is the best razor out there. I sold my 6s an excellent razor, but not best suited to My Shave Style. I would buy another 6s if I were you.

Attachments

• DBE4151A-FA4B-44E2-B935-3B4C06920014.jpeg
    DBE4151A-FA4B-44E2-B935-3B4C06920014.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 7

With the M or H plate?

With the M or H plate?
M plate. I also have the H plate, and while the tactile/aggressiveness is just slightly higher (and closer the the plate 5-6 of the 6S), I don't find the end result that much different from the M plate. I used the 921-H plate maybe once in 3 or 4 shaves between the 921-M, and don't find myself reaching for the H plate at all nowadays.
BTW still rocking the 921-M after all this time. What a great razor! (for me, YMMW of course).

M plate. I also have the H plate, and while the tactile/aggressiveness is just slightly higher (and closer the the plate 5-6 of the 6S), I don't find the end result that much different from the M plate. I used the 921-H plate maybe once in 3 or 4 shaves between the 921-M, and don't find myself reaching for the H plate at all nowadays.
BTW still rocking the 921-M after all this time. What a great razor! (for me, YMMW of course).
I use the M plate quite a bit (bead blasted finish). Was always considering buying the H, never did. It is in my 5 favorite razor rotation with the Rockwell getting less love by the month. Carbon Ti Web mild plate is also getting a lot of use… but not as comfortable as the Yates M plate for me.

I ordered the H plate last night just to test. Really liking the the M plate, too.

Top Bottom