What's new

help me select some TGN knots

I am almost ready to start. Really.

I am turning some figured maple brush handles for Christmas gifts for my father, brothers, brother-in-law, and father-in-law, (and maybe my wife)

So, 6 for gifts, one for myself, (and one for my wife.) The are all getting the same knot, a knot I like I hope. I tried a 16mm in FINEST, and found it ...not what I wanted. It was limp, and too soft. I normally use a big Omega boar (10098). I also really like my Bambino Omega, the smallest made.

What is a TGN BEST like?

I am settled on a 20mm or 22mm knot for the 7 guys (all the same), and something bigger for my wife. (I think) I really like the fan shape of my boars, but that is not a deal maker or breaker.

I am looking for soft tips, backbone, scrubbiness without scratchyness. I generally face lather, as does my Dad and one brother. I need body and backbone without scratchyness. I despised my Tweezerman clipped PURE, and PIF'd it.

Another brother is not a wet shaver, same with the FIL and BIL (at least not with brush, they use canned goo). The last brother is interested, liked using my Bambino (and some Mama Bears) and I promised him a brush for Christmas (even if I just buy him an Omega boar)

For handle design, I am going to do a few different demos in Bass, then decide. I am going to try to make a barrel, duplicate the VDH handle, and a vase. My wife's is going to be drilled at a 45 angle with a spherical end.

Thank you for your help.

Phil

Phil:

You forgot - we're related. :thumbup:

See my thread nearby. If you want pillow soft, go with the TGN 20mm Finest Badger Extra Hair. It is amazing. Having said that, I love the more abrasive exfoliating of a broken in boar. Will watch this thread with interest. I didn't really see much at TGN in the way of boar to pick from.

I did get a note from Bob Farvour a week ago who has been MOST helpful. In part it read, "Simpson Best is the softest I have ever felt but TGN Best is completely different. Finest is somewhere in the middle and probably the most popular that TGN sells. The tips are soft but the rest is stiffer so you get the softness but not the floppiness... I usually get Finest because they are the two band color and not floppy."

Last edited:
See my wiki from my sig.

More than enough OCDish type information to keep you busy.

Long and short of it, you can't go wrong with the Finest, Silvertip A or Super. All have slightly different characteristics but all good knots.

Of course as always YMMV :lol:

Two Band Finest is an excellent knot giving a great all round performance.
Its got good body and nice soft tips and you've also got a choice of regular or fan shape to cater for bowl or face latherers.
I use a lot of them and my clients are never disappointed.
One thing though, they need a good shampoo/clean to get rid of what appears to be a dusty, slightly oily substance that recent supplies have been arriving with. Nothing to worry about but you should shampoo them first if you're giving them out as gifts.
tinker

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
I would recommend to go with the two-band finest in 22 mm, set it at around 48 mm and it will be a perfect brush!
The best knots are not to my liking, often quite scritchy and a few I used had shedding issues, which I never heard of from the finest knots. For your wife, I recommend a nice soft Silvertip Grade A or a Super Silvertip.

I would recommend to go with the two-band finest in 22 mm, set it at around 48 mm and it will be a perfect brush!
The best knots are not to my liking, often quite scritchy and a few I used had shedding issues, which I never heard of from the finest knots. For your wife, I recommend a nice soft Silvertip Grade A or a Super Silvertip.

+1 Listen to Rudy...he's the voice of experience and he knows what he's talking about!

+100;the wife deserves the absolute best you can do for her:}

I also used one of the two-band finest knots in a brush for my son-in-law. They really are an outstanding combo of softness and stiffness. Like Rudy, I've had some shedding issues with their bests. I may have to make a finest for myself!

Phil:

You forgot - we're related. :thumbup:

We can talk about a trade for some of that fine facial elixir of yours later. There probably are going to be several extra practice handles in bass.

I guess that settles it, 2 band finest in 22mm, I can play with setting the loft on the first one. There is even a fan shape available!

Thank you everybody, going to be a while before I have pics.

Phil

We can talk about a trade for some of that fine facial elixir of yours later. There probably are going to be several extra practice handles in bass.

I guess that settles it, 2 band finest in 22mm, I can play with setting the loft on the first one. There is even a fan shape available!

Thank you everybody, going to be a while before I have pics.

Phil

Phil, if you like stiff and scritchy, I can send you the Liberty Brush (beautiful cracked Culmak butterscotch handle) with a 23mm TGN Black badger to kick around for a bit to see if that knot is to your liking. Give me a shout.

Edit: Just re-read your first post...no scratchyness, huh? Ok, maybe the black isn't the right one for you...very scratchy, Hell, I never use it:001_tt2: Offer stands, however!

Last edited:
So I ordered 2 knots to see what I would get.

http://www.thegoldennib.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=9_43&products_id=248
and
http://www.thegoldennib.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=9_44&products_id=168

I am also taking up TnutsShave's offer.

I need sample knots to set up so I have the correct hole size and such anyways. I ordered one of each to start with.

I still need to make a tool rest for my lathe...details. I have a set of cheap but decent chisels, and plenty of HSS tooling for the tool post, but no tool rest that can fit the tool post...yet. I THINK Grandpa Jim made one, and it fits the boring bar holder, but I haven't figured out all his creations that go with yet.

Phil

As a custom brush maker I buy knots from TGN so I think I can little bit contribute here:

1. Silvertip Grade A and Super Silvertip are very soft ones, Standard silvertip is little bit pricky but many loves that
2. Finest (bulb/fan) are also great knots and few members above told all that you have to know

So, for your wife I will recommend Super Silvertip knot. For other brushes you can go with Finest or Standard Silvertip.
Technically it is the best way to drill holes when handle is in the lathe machine because if you do that after it is possible that hole will be out of center little bit.
For 22mm knots you will need 22mm drill and for 24mm knots you will need 25mm drill.
You can set loft from 48-50 mm and in that case knots will not be floppy. I did not use Super Silvertip yet but I think that i will go with 48 loft for that one to avoid floppines.

So I ordered 2 knots to see what I would get.

http://www.thegoldennib.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=9_43&products_id=248
and
http://www.thegoldennib.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=9_44&products_id=168

I am also taking up TnutsShave's offer.

I need sample knots to set up so I have the correct hole size and such anyways. I ordered one of each to start with.

I still need to make a tool rest for my lathe...details. I have a set of cheap but decent chisels, and plenty of HSS tooling for the tool post, but no tool rest that can fit the tool post...yet. I THINK Grandpa Jim made one, and it fits the boring bar holder, but I haven't figured out all his creations that go with yet.

Phil

Those fan knots look awesome Phil. Can't wait to see the finished product! I think one of those Fines XH is in my future.

They arrived. I had an ordering snafu that the system ate the order and it never shipped, so Tony added a silver tip in as well for the inconvenience.

http://www.thegoldennib.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=9_42&products_id=108

I have a practice handle that I was messing with drilled to 7/8, this is slightly larger than 22mm. The XH finest does not fit! There is a bulge in the hair just after the glue plug. The other two knots, the silvertip and the super fit easily.

I may have to set up a hole board and see if another drill fits better.

I am waiting on a spur center because the mandrel I made keeps tearing out of the wood, but that was on the bass I have to practice with. I also have some ash for practice and the figured maple for the final brushes.

Phil

Phil...clearly the XH is defective. Fortunately for you, I am certified badger hair knot disposal expert, so I think I can help you out.:001_tt2:

If I recall, on some of those listed as XH, it does state that the hair above the knot is larger than the knot size...or did I imagine that?

I have a practice handle that I was messing with drilled to 7/8, this is slightly larger than 22mm. The XH finest does not fit! There is a bulge in the hair just after the glue plug. The other two knots, the silvertip and the super fit easily.

I took the EH finest knot and rolled it on a table with a piece of something hard (I think I had a scrap of Corian) to crush that slight glue bulge down and got it to fit a slightly undersized hole. No shedding after many months, so it seems to be OK to do that. You might give that a shot.

We'll be expecting a report when you get these all assembled and tested.

Last edited:
I think I have settled on a Persian jar design. Simple. I have turned 2 in ash and 1 is bass. The bass is horrible wood for turning.

I probably should turn a couple other shapes in ash and make sure. The thin base bothers me a little.

No pictures tonight. Maybe tomorrow.

Phil

Top Bottom