What's new

help me select some TGN knots

So here's the pic, bass, ash, ash. The loft is staged at about 55mm, and the handle is cut through on the backside. Good thing I am practicing.

A 1 inch hole seems to give a good fit to all these knots. Based on what others have said, that seems loose. A deep hole to get the 48mm (1 7/8 inch) loft gets tight in the 7/8 inch hole for all 3 knots.

The hole to set the knot at the 48mm loft is 7/8 inch deep! (really?!)

Using my 4jaw chuck (because I lack a 3 jaw) I can paper the handle and center it to drill rather well.

Phil

Attachments

• $0715011243.jpg
    $0715011243.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 184
I ordered some metric verniers. A stainless one and a 2 pack in plastic. I figure my 3yo daughter will want in on the act.

Phil

I think far right is my favorite, but the middle is nice as well. You were right about that bass...that did not look like it went well! Is that one of the knots you got from TGN?! I don't recall seeing a silvertip fan shape!!!

It is the super badger fan. I am afraid to drill the far right now, but the different knots are very different lengths. I suspect that I will need to have the knots on hand before I drill the handles from what I am seeing.

I suppose I can drill to a depth and then set the knot higher using some kind of spacer... The Super is almost 1/2 inch longer than the Finest and Silvertip. Then again, it looks like this is the only super I am going to use, it is significantly less dense than the Finest fan extra stuffed. The silvertip is also more dense than the super, but not by a whole lot.

Phil

Phil:

A tip I use to get the height just right is to simply fill the brush with epoxy to the level you need. Let it sit over night and then glue your knot in the next day. Perfect fit every time and water tight too. No spacing leveling, etc.

Captain Pre-Capsize I recive your PM message but I can not answer because your Inbox is full and you can not recive PM message. Please delete few of them so I can send you answer.
Thx

I seem to have a problem using a dead center. I smoked my workpiece. My dead center can be restored, I know how and have a toolpost grinder to regrind it (this is an engine lathe after all), but I would rather just not use it anymore.

I am looking for a live center, and I am bogged down by what is available. Overwhelmed in fact. Any advice?

I require a MT2.

Phil

Enough figured Maple to make a school girl wet herself.

This is the first batch of handles, not quite finished, but coated in CA, and sanded. Some have more sanding needed and all need the ends CA'd.

Phil

Attachments

• $100_0772.jpg
    $100_0772.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 142
  • $100_0771.jpg
    $100_0771.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 142
  • $100_0770.jpg
    $100_0770.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 142
Klopstick, that looks awesome, but the photograph does not do justice to the handles I made. I may look into some of that "aqua fortis" for the next batch.

Phil

Klopstick, that looks awesome, but the photograph does not do justice to the handles I made.

Yes, photographing figured woods is tough. It never shows the real depth and translucency of the figure. I've worked with enough of it to know what those must look like in real life. Nice looking work! I especially like the shapes on the ends.

Yesterday I set the TGN 22mm 2 band finest fan XH in an Ash handle that I turned for practice, and rather liked. It is set at 48mm as suggested.

This knot FEELS very similar to my Omega Boar #10098. The size on the face and the backbone perceived are very similar. I hope this badger knot improves on softness some because my broke in boar beats it handily. The knot was not scratchy scritchy, and the softness on the first shave was adequate, but I hope the tips soften more.

I plan to set the other two knots in Ash handles before ordering knots for the maple handles.

I think I like it.

Pictures later, I took before and afters, but not any lathered up. My card reader is acting up...

Phil

I just got a couple of restored Made Rite handles set with TGN knots. When the knots arrived, I was shocked at how they felt--not soft at all. But after they got a good soaking and I lathered them up a couple of times, they feel wonderful. I ordered one in Finest and one in Super Badger. I think I like the Super better due to the extra softness. Now I'm really curious about the Silver Tip!

Here we go! After is first.

Phil

Attachments

• $DSCF1322.jpg
    $DSCF1322.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 127
  • $DSCF1321.jpg
    $DSCF1321.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 128
Looking good! Would love to see those other handles competed....if you ever need photos, feel free to send me some hehehehe ;) Keep up the good work!

Don't worry, all those maple handles will be knotted and photographed BEFORE Christmas WITH knots. There is going to be at least 1 more batch of maple handles, probably next week or so.

Phil

I finally got around to mounting the 22mm Super Badger FAN in an ash handle. It went into the barrel shaped handle. I was going to mount the silvertip, but the handle I was going to use will not be suitable.

I need to get back on the stick and turn some more handles.

My Dad selected his handle, but may not realize it yet. the tall one on the left a few posts back.

I have been loving the 22mm Finest fan XHS. The tips are not as soft as I want but the backbone and face feel is wonderful. I can live with this brush very happily.

Phil

Last edited:
I shaved with the 22mm super badger FAN today. Boy are those tips soft! I wish it had more backbone, choking up on the brush doesn't make much difference. I could easily learn to like it I think.

I took before pictures, but have not taken after pictures. I somehow got the knot in crooked, and it looks crooked after blooming, but didn't before. It is not a huge difference and probably does not affect performance.

I think I will wait till I shave again and see if it opens up any more before taking after pictures.

Phil

I shaved with the 22mm super badger FAN today. Boy are those tips soft! I wish it had more backbone, choking up on the brush doesn't make much difference. I could easily learn to like it I think.

I took before pictures, but have not taken after pictures. I somehow got the knot in crooked, and it looks crooked after blooming, but didn't before. It is not a huge difference and probably does not affect performance.

I think I will wait till I shave again and see if it opens up any more before taking after pictures.

Phil

What loft did you go with on the brush? I would think around 44mm would provide lots of backbone.

Top Bottom